Are you madabout kit cars      
 "We've Got Kit Cars Covered" Information about Madabout-Kitcars.com Contact Madabout-Kitcars.com         Home of UK kit cars - madabout-kitcars.com Various kit car write ups All the latest kit car news Kit car related and general discussion

Search
Manufacturers
Kit Cars
Kit Car Data sheets
Picture Gallery
SVA Knowledgebase
Clubs & Communities
Build cost estimator
Kit cars for sale
Knowledge Base 
KitcarUSA.com
Classic-Kitcars.com

Go Back   Madabout Kitcars Forum > Mad Build Area > Dino 246 Builds and Discussion

Dino 246 Builds and Discussion Da da da da daaa daa da da, ohoho Dino

Old 6th June 2009, 12:58

thecarbuilder246 is on a distinguished road

hi tom and thanks for the info.I'm actually trying to find wheel pcd adaptors to go from lancia 4/100 to 5/108 to take the dino wheels.
I did go another route and have some wheels hand cast that are part machined to fit the lancia hub,but to date cannot find anyone willing to finish turn them at a decent cost.Quotes of £1000+!!
I have seen a german engineering firm doing adaptors for around £65 a pair but they cant do ones I need.
ian
Old 6th June 2009, 13:17

Quote:
Originally Posted by JARED_NOMAK View Post
Hi,
If only people relised Deon DGT is not the same as the Karma, the Karma looks nothing like the DGT which was a more accurate Ferrari Dino Replica.

Andrew if you are still looking for a build manual I have the build manual that covers the DGT. Mirabeau and Scoperto. I also have a parts source list.

I currently have one of the Unfinished Deon Mirabeau and previously owned the only Deon Mirabeau with the 2.9 Cosworth V6 in it which I bought from the Isle of Wight. I sold this to a guy from Falkirk in Scotland.

I used to know a guy called Rob who originally worked for Deon many years ago and I sourced a number of parts from him but don't know if I still have his number.

If you want to speak to me about build manuals etc, send me an e-mail at ross (at symbol) a-dicarlo.fsnet.co.uk, doing it this way so I don't get so much spam. Also put the title as DEON KIT CARS in capital so I notice it.

I can supply you a fair bit of history on Deon and their cars.

Ross
hi ross.
I remember this car from my many visits to kit car shows from 1996 to 1999.The first owner builder was a David Javan and it was hughly popular.I got to know him really well.Infact this car led to me putting the 2.9 24v cosworth engine in mine.If I remember correctly the air intake was in the boot? Was it still dark metallic red?
ian
Old 8th June 2009, 00:03

mac is on a distinguished road
Default Wireing Diagrams

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecarbuilder246 View Post
hi,new on here.Stumbled across this site while looking for pcd adaptors for dino wheels.I own the last deon to come from the deon factory-smuggled out after the company went into administration!!
Kit was stored for around sevenish years and I've been messing with it for the last seven as well!! will it ever be finished.If anyone wants any info I have loads-build manuals/parts list etc etc.
I intend to fit repro dino wheels but I have the lancia/fiat 124 (later lada) 4 stud so need adaptors to 5stud.Also any info on real dino stuff.
ian
Hi Ian, Do you by any chance have any wireing diagrams, I would assume that they all had a fairly similar wireing instalation. A previous owner of my Dino has had a play with some of the dashboard wires and some of the gauges do not work properly/at all. I could run some suplementary wires to get them working but I would rather sort out the wireing that is already there.
Thanks for any help.
Best Regards. Mac.
Old 9th June 2009, 17:05

hi mac.I would assume I will have a full se of wiring diagrams,as I have everything deon supplied with the kits in a folder.but will check and let you know.Ian
Old 10th June 2009, 13:14

Default wiring

hi mac,dug out the deon build manual.There is no actual wiring diagram as such just several pages of instructions telling of what wire goes were etc.some are for the lancia cars and some are for the ford powered cars.The dash pages seem to be the same though.If you want I could copy them and post to you?
ian
Old 10th June 2009, 17:02

Hi Ian, Thanks for getting back to me. I very much appreciate the offer. If you could drop me an email at brianr23@hotmail.com I will send you my address, or if it is easier then you could just email them to me. which ever is best for you.
Thanks and best regards Mac.
Old 10th June 2009, 22:45

simmos is on a distinguished road

Quote:
hi mac,dug out the deon build manual.There is no actual wiring diagram as such just several pages of instructions telling of what wire goes were etc.some are for the lancia cars and some are for the ford powered cars.The dash pages seem to be the same though.If you want I could copy them and post to you?
ian

Could i have a set too please?
Old 11th June 2009, 19:53
Big Cheese

JG has disabled reputation

I can post it up on the site if you want...if you can get it in electronic format.

John
Old 12th June 2009, 23:35

simmos is on a distinguished road

Quote:
hi tom and thanks for the info.I'm actually trying to find wheel pcd adaptors to go from lancia 4/100 to 5/108 to take the dino wheels.
I did go another route and have some wheels hand cast that are part machined to fit the lancia hub,but to date cannot find anyone willing to finish turn them at a decent cost.Quotes of £1000+!!
I have seen a german engineering firm doing adaptors for around £65 a pair but they cant do ones I need.
ian

Have you tried Demon Tweeks for the wheel adaptors?

Please let me know when you find something suitable.
Old 13th June 2009, 21:05
Enthusiast

rossnzwpi is on a distinguished road
Default 4 x 98 to 5 x 108 hubs

Hi, I looked into this a lot and can share what I found out:
a hub adaptor is not a good idea because - it changes the track width and in the case of 4 to 5 stud it is a substantial distance. Changing from 4 to 5 is not a case of redrilling or shifting the stud/hole positions unless the PCD is the same and you keep one of the original studs (e.g. 4x108 to 5x108). The geometry doesn't work! try it on a piece of paper - the holes have to cross over. Therefore the adaptor needs to be very thick with bolts going into the original hub then a gap strong enough to be the new hub, then the new bolts going out to the wheels. This means lots of unsprung weight, track change, offset change, extra stress on the wheel bearings. Check out the adaptors on those MR2 to Ferrari 360 replicas! They are so dangerous they're actually illegal here in NZ.
Other options:
the Alfa 166 has 5x108 hubs and the same centre bore - maybe they can be adapted? Volvo & series 3 Mondeo have 5 x 108 but a different centre bore.

the Stratos forum cater to lots of replicas which use Fiat / Lancia / Alfa hubs, uprights, Gerry Hawkridge (Hawk carrs) et al have kits, including whole new hubs (they often use Fiat / Lada front uprights) but usually to go to 5 x 98. They sometimes fit Lancia Integrale hubs too.

look on the Fiat Dino Yahoo group or search Ebay for Fiat Dino hubs which are 5 x 108 and used exactly these wheels. The uprights are pretty much Fiat 124/5/1500 too so should bolt straight on. Fiat 2300 are OK too - I know a guy here with them on his Stratos.

Use a deep dish steel wheel to suit your hub and put a Dino wheel-shaped fibreglass "hubcap" in them.

Finally go to Superformance (UK Dino parts Co.) - they stock sets of repro Dino wheels in 14" & 16" - maybe as they are current they could specially order ones with a different PCD. They're 700GBP a set!

hope you get a solution - I've got a set of original Cromodora Dino wheels I'd like to fit to my project - using Mazda MX5 suspension. I'm leaning towards trying Alfa 166 but the fronts are easier than the backs where you have to think of axles / splines too!

Cheers
Ross in NZ
Old 20th June 2009, 21:37

classicreplicasuk is on a distinguished road

Just to let you know that Classic Replicas are still building replica Dinos - the 246 GT and GTS in both kit form and turn-key cars. We have been building these lovely cars for 8 years now and have spent a great deal of time developing the replica so that it is now 95% as the original.
Unfortunately our skills do not extend to building web sites so ours is very out of date and we understand people have been having problems contacting us! Our e-mail address is classicreplicasuk@blueyonder.co.uk and our telephone number is 01278 433782.
We are happy to help those people who have unfinished Deon projects However with regard to our own Dino replicas we are very anti the use of any engine apart from a V6 Italian engine which makes us unpopular with some potential customers.
We welcome all enquiries big or small. Don't believe everything you read on some web sites.
Old 22nd June 2009, 14:48

Default Dino Dashboard Wireing

Hi All, Hopefully attached is the wireing instructions that Ian kindly supplied.

Regards Mac.Dino Dash2 002.jpg

Dino Dash3 003.jpg

Dino Dash4.jpg
Old 22nd June 2009, 22:03

classicreplicasuk is on a distinguished road
Default Classic replicas are in business!

Hello All,

Just found this website ourselves and very disappointed to learn that so many people think we have gone out of business when we are alive and thriving in Somerset.
We are manufacturing the Dino 246 GT and GTS in kit form and fully built cars. We also help customers complete their unfinished Deon projects and are happy to supply parts.
Our moulds are not the Deon moulds but our own which were taken from an original Dino 246 GT ( belonged to my son) and we have designed our own chassis ( with a steel floor). We have no connections with Deon or any other previous Dino replica manufacturer. We are saddened by the rumours which abound.
Please give us a call on 01278 433782 if you have any queries.
Gordon
Old 10th August 2009, 10:14

jonhopper is on a distinguished road
Default Deon GTS roof

I have a Deon GTS with a single piece roof that doesnt stow in the car. I think Deon were working on a 2 piece roof.

Has anyone made one of these?

I bought my kit from JH Classics, they went under, then Deon started up, and then went under. I hadn't bought all the parts so completed mine with a steering column and pedal box, servo, master cylinders from an Alfa.

Instruments are all Smiths, from scrap jaguars.

Improvements to be done one day:
I need to re-do the doors, the leading edges sit proud of the body...

I would like to redo the front boot to hinge at the front, and the rear hatch to be 2 part...

The headlamp area moulding lacks the recess for the lamps.

Maybe fit twin wiper arms.

Anyone done any of this?

cheers

J
Old 10th August 2009, 11:19

Default jh into deon

hi jon.
I have done most of the things you plan to do.I was unlucky in that I never received a boot or engine cover with my shell.I have a very good friend with a jh classics gt and he loaned me his. Being a mould maker I took moulds from his and made my own-I have hinged the front bonnet the correct way and have also created a split boot at the back.If you already have these items then some careful work cutting of the engine lid and perhaps a little fiberglassing to create a return lip will see a good result.I believe classic replicas uk hinge the front bonnet forwards so hinges may be obtainable from them-but you may also need some welding skills to beef up the front chassis member to take the added weight.
The recessed lights at the front will need major work cutting and re-fibreglassing to get them right.Possible but alot of messy work.I believe deon altered this area as mine have the correct recessed lights.
As to the doors-I have done alot of work here as JH and deon doors were a very poor fit indeed.Again major fiberglass work to build up the doors to get good shut lines and alterations to the door hinges-not for the faint hearted.The aluminum door frames were diabolical-someone had mig welded these and the quality was utter garbage.I am currently making my own from steel and plan to have opening quaterlites too. I have included a photo-work in progress!!
Regarding the twin roof-sorry I cant help there as mine is a gt fixed head coupe.
Also before anyone gets in contact I no longer have the moulds for the bonnet or twin rear boot lids-they were scrapped!! I got fed up tripping over them.
Old 10th August 2009, 11:21

hi
before anyone asks photo did not seem to upload!!
ian
Old 13th August 2009, 08:11

thomaspub@skynet.be is on a distinguished road

Hi,

I read all of you about the replica Ferrari Dino 246 GT.
I found for sale on internet a 246 Deon GT from 1979, with a ford V6 motor 200kW.
Some restoration needed but apparently not much (no Dashboard anymore)

I have no idea of the price of such a replica. This one is sold around 30.000 EUR.
Could you tell me what is the market price for such a Dino replica?

Many Thankx

Thomas
Old 13th August 2009, 10:59

Default deon

hi thomas.
I think the car you are looking at would be an earlier jh classics model. Deon was born out of jh a lot later- possibly early 90's I think. Although deon did fit the ford v6 engine to the gt this may suggest the date 1979 is wrong.
As to the dash I'm sure these can still be sourced as can most of the dials etc.
Price is a big thing though.I have seen pristine examples go for around 20 to 30 thousand pounds-but of late this seems to have come down.A couple in kit car mags can be had for a little over 16 thousand pounds-while on ebay they seem to go for around 10 to 12 thousand for a finished runner and around 7 to 9 thousand for one requiring work. (don't know what these work out in euros)
ian
Old 13th August 2009, 12:35

thomaspub@skynet.be is on a distinguished road

Thank you verry much.
Could you have a check to the one I saw, and give me your advice?
http://suchen.mobile.de/fahrzeuge/sh...g=&tabNumber=2
If it's good for you, I will then contact the vendor; otherwise... (it seems maybe a bit expensive, but maybe the manufacturer is better?)
no idea

Thomas
Old 13th August 2009, 14:04

Default hi

hi thomas.
To be honest I think this is a very over priced 30,000 euros (about £33,300) for a car that requires work.I have only ever seen one for sale over £30,000 and that was probably one of the best examples I have I ever seen (and I have seen alot!!)-many original dino parts and lots of modifications-but then I don't think it made anywhere near that figure whe it finally sold-£26,000 springs to mind.
Get yourself a kit car magazine and check out the classifieds-they often turn up for around £16,000+ (approx 14,500 euros).
ian