Are you madabout kit cars      
 "We've Got Kit Cars Covered" Information about Madabout-Kitcars.com Contact Madabout-Kitcars.com         Home of UK kit cars - madabout-kitcars.com Various kit car write ups All the latest kit car news Kit car related and general discussion

Search
Manufacturers
Kit Cars
Kit Car Data sheets
Picture Gallery
SVA Knowledgebase
Clubs & Communities
Build cost estimator
Kit cars for sale
Knowledge Base 
KitcarUSA.com
Classic-Kitcars.com

Go Back   Madabout Kitcars Forum > Mad Build Area > Marlin Sportster, Cabrio, Berlinetta and Roadster builds

Marlin Sportster, Cabrio, Berlinetta and Roadster builds Enthused or Confused about your vintage Marlin build? Ask away here or show off your build.

Old 14th March 2013, 18:44
Enthusiast

cabrioman is on a distinguished road
Default Shifter advice please

Help needed Guys

As you will know I am converting my Cabrio to an M20 setup.

I have changed the shifter linkage, as I wanted to move the stick further back into the car. I sourced a linkage from a BMW compact which had the longer casting (277mm vs the e30 244mm). The compact 277mm casting came with the correct length selector rod.

I bought a Z3 shift and brg from the local stealer but when I came to fit it all I realised the selector T is wider on the e30 box than it is on the compact as the pin on the front of the BMW compact selector rod is not long enough to go through the e30 gearbox selector T. I can't use the original e30 rod as its too short to work with the 277mm casting.

So as I see it I have a choice, I can cut down (possibly) the existing e30 T to take the compact linkage pin or I can buy a T from a 1.9 z3 or 318 compact which are narrower.

Does anyone know if the narrow selector T from the Z3 / compact 318 will fit the e30 box. I would prefer to have a new T to get rid of the wear, but
I don't want to order one and find it doesn't fit.

Cheers

John
Available from eBay
Old 14th March 2013, 20:58
Enthusiast

peterux is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by cabrioman View Post
Help needed Guys

As you will know I am converting my Cabrio to an M20 setup.

I have changed the shifter linkage, as I wanted to move the stick further back into the car. I sourced a linkage from a BMW compact which had the longer casting (277mm vs the e30 244mm). The compact 277mm casting came with the correct length selector rod.

I bought a Z3 shift and brg from the local stealer but when I came to fit it all I realised the selector T is wider on the e30 box than it is on the compact as the pin on the front of the BMW compact selector rod is not long enough to go through the e30 gearbox selector T. I can't use the original e30 rod as its too short to work with the 277mm casting.

So as I see it I have a choice, I can cut down (possibly) the existing e30 T to take the compact linkage pin or I can buy a T from a 1.9 z3 or 318 compact which are narrower.

Does anyone know if the narrow selector T from the Z3 / compact 318 will fit the e30 box. I would prefer to have a new T to get rid of the wear, but
I don't want to order one and find it doesn't fit.

Cheers

John
Hi John,
I think I would grind down the sides of the e30 'T' until the pin fits but I could measure the internal diameter of the T piece on my M50 gearbox if that helps?

And checking my pictures I just remembered I had a clearance issue with the propshaft flange so you might need to stick with the e30 part.

Above the propshaft by marlinpeter, on Flickr

The M50 T piece looks a fair bit bigger?

Gearbox by marlinpeter, on Flickr

I'm happy to take some dimensions if you like.

....peter
Old 14th March 2013, 22:08
Enthusiast

Thanks Peter

I had a further dig around online and on real oem. It transpires the e30 after 1989 had a narrower selector joint which should do the job but real oem show it as 39$ so the angle grinder might be the answer!

The joint fitted to the e46 and z3 is only 15$ but if its a lot bigger it may be a problem in terms of clearance anyway.

John
Old 19th March 2013, 08:25
Enthusiast

Hi John,
I hope you don't mind me hijacking your thread but it is related.

Do you know which BMW compact model your '277mm' casting came from?
I have a 295.3mmm casting which is about an inch too long for my Sabre and I'm thinking that the 277 might be just about OK.

thanks....peter
Old 19th March 2013, 16:30
Enthusiast

Hi Peter

I bought it off eBay, I'll have look at the old listing when I get home to see if it gives the model, I can't remember off the top of my head.

John
Old 19th March 2013, 20:24
Enthusiast

Hi Peter

It came off a 2000 E36 318ti compact, the aluminium cast arm is stamped 277.5 which is what it measures c to c, the BMW part number for the cast arm is 25111221540 but of course you will need the correct length gear selector linkage to go with it.

I would think its the same on the 316 and maybe other models but you could stick the part number into real oem to find out which other models use it.

John
Old 19th March 2013, 20:38
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by cabrioman View Post
Hi Peter

It came off a 2000 E36 318ti compact, the aluminium cast arm is stamped 277.5 which is what it measures c to c, the BMW part number for the cast arm is 25111221540 but of course you will need the correct length gear selector linkage to go with it.

I would think its the same on the 316 and maybe other models but you could stick the part number into real oem to find out which other models use it.

John
Thanks, John, that's very handy information.