Are you madabout kit cars      
 "We've Got Kit Cars Covered" Information about Madabout-Kitcars.com Contact Madabout-Kitcars.com         Home of UK kit cars - madabout-kitcars.com Various kit car write ups All the latest kit car news Kit car related and general discussion

Search
Manufacturers
Kit Cars
Kit Car Data sheets
Picture Gallery
SVA Knowledgebase
Clubs & Communities
Build cost estimator
Kit cars for sale
Knowledge Base 
KitcarUSA.com
Classic-Kitcars.com

Go Back   Madabout Kitcars Forum > Mad Build Area > Marlin Sportster, Cabrio, Berlinetta and Roadster builds

Marlin Sportster, Cabrio, Berlinetta and Roadster builds Enthused or Confused about your vintage Marlin build? Ask away here or show off your build.

Old 15th June 2016, 14:31
Enthusiast

Alfie is on a distinguished road
Smile Longest Sportster Build Ever

Hi everyone.
It's been a very very long time since I posted on here, for a variety of reasons which I will not bore you with now. What I would like to say is, after very many health and personal issues but refusing to give up, my E30 Sportster finally, finally passed IVA yesterday.
WhooHoo!!........one very happy chappie. Cannot quite believe it...... it's only taken 12, yes 12 years but we got there. Is this a record?
One slight downer......Just had a conversation with a very helpful lady at DVLA who said registration can take up to 6 weeks but after all this time I guess I can wait a little longer. Just be glad to get on the road while there's still some summer left. Can I also add my congrats to 6981Marlin on your pass. Great feeling isn't it?
Available from eBay
Old 15th June 2016, 15:06

phil.coyle is on a distinguished road

Well done, it isn't how long it takes, it's the accomplishment and achievement . Six weeks it will only be August and then golden days of September, keep looking forward.
Old 15th June 2016, 15:59

6981marlin is on a distinguished road

Congratulation, you beat mine by a year. My kit was bought in 2005. Its a fantastic feeling to finally get over a big milestone. Where did you get yours tested ?
Old 15th June 2016, 19:24
Enthusiast

Patrick is on a distinguished road

Well done
Old 15th June 2016, 21:26
Enthusiast

I don't feel so embarrassed now if you took 11 years! My test and retest and re-retest were done at Exeter. The guys there were very helpful...... professional but friendly, explaining their decisions clearly and recommending how to correct things. The car didn't fail by too much on the first test and, to be honest, the second failure was due to me not sorting trivial things properly and rushing to do it at the last minute, tidying wiring etc. (apart from self centreing which was my major headache). All sorted now though so very happy
Old 17th June 2016, 12:43
Enthusiast

Mike is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfie View Post
I don't feel so embarrassed now if you took 11 years! My test and retest and re-retest were done at Exeter. The guys there were very helpful...... professional but friendly, explaining their decisions clearly and recommending how to correct things. The car didn't fail by too much on the first test and, to be honest, the second failure was due to me not sorting trivial things properly and rushing to do it at the last minute, tidying wiring etc. (apart from self centreing which was my major headache). All sorted now though so very happy
Alfie
Congratulations, and well done for perseverance.
You are certainly not alone - it took me 9 years to get my Cabrio to IVA, and only now, 2 years further on has it been painted.......... And I still have to put it back together again, so it too will have been 11 years to "completion".

How about some photos of your Sportster?
What engine have you installed?

Mike
Old 17th June 2016, 21:29
Enthusiast

MartinClan is on a distinguished road

Well done! You must have started building about the same time as me then :-). Good year that...

Robin
Old 18th June 2016, 15:40
Enthusiast

Definitely don't feel so bad now then. Robin, I believe we may have met at Stoneleigh many years ago when we were just starting our projects. My donor was an E30 2.5i M20 engine......30 years old now but runs beautifully. Not being a mechanic or engineer, all I did to it was change the cambelt, oil and filters, thermostat and water pump and strip and clean the injection system. She has never failed to start first time, despite literally being left for months and sometimes years untouched. Now that we are legal I will probably feel inclined to do a bit more "tarting up". I will try and post some pics shortly.