Are you madabout kit cars      
 "We've Got Kit Cars Covered" Information about Madabout-Kitcars.com Contact Madabout-Kitcars.com         Home of UK kit cars - madabout-kitcars.com Various kit car write ups All the latest kit car news Kit car related and general discussion

Search
Manufacturers
Kit Cars
Kit Car Data sheets
Picture Gallery
SVA Knowledgebase
Clubs & Communities
Build cost estimator
Kit cars for sale
Knowledge Base 
KitcarUSA.com
Classic-Kitcars.com

Go Back   Madabout Kitcars Forum > Mad Build Area > Vintage and Classic Roadster Kit Car Builds

Vintage and Classic Roadster Kit Car Builds For Vintage and Classic era kit cars. Post your build reports, problems and progress here

Old 21st March 2016, 21:22
Enthusiast

pompeyal is on a distinguished road

I have had it out the mould prior to stiffening it and it has a few blemishes but that was to be expected after all the problems I have getting the mould from the plug, I am sure after a small amount of flatting back it will be as I want it, if not I will have to just start all over again....!!!! (Not Bloody likely) lol.
Old 21st March 2016, 22:13
Enthusiast

Bonnet continued

Now its out of the mould, pva removed and there are some imperfections as expected, next job to clean back the edges for a fit to the car then flat them back ..

Old 22nd March 2016, 20:22
Enthusiast

Bonnet continued

Sanded around the edges removing excess material then sanded the underside removing any whiskers. Trial fitted into the car and with great delight it fits with pretty good panel gaps, that was a great relief, lightly sanded the imperfections on the finish with an orbital sander and went round with a wet and dry flexible sanding block and to my delight only very small areas will need stopping and flatting back so after all the problems I have had making this bonnet it has all come out well….

Old 22nd March 2016, 21:10
Enthusiast

DaveP is on a distinguished road

Well done so far. It's been a real challenge and I'm glad you have stuck it out.

Looking forward to the next instalment.

Dave
Old 22nd March 2016, 21:35
Enthusiast

Thanks Dave, that was a major set back and disillusionment bit now I can see the end of that little task I have regained my enthusiasm and can hopefully make some speedy progress, hmm better not speak too soon though I have the harness to tackle yet, deep joy....lol
Old 22nd March 2016, 21:37

molleur is on a distinguished road

Good job! Learning all the way. Next time to make parts will be much easier.
Old 22nd March 2016, 22:39
Enthusiast

Thanks molleur, I am glad you can take something from my build, I have other plans under my hat so watch this space...
Old 22nd March 2016, 23:09

Roadster is on a distinguished road

Looking good.
Time to blow over a guide coat so it all matches.
Its a striking looking car what colour have you in mind
Old 22nd March 2016, 23:15
Enthusiast

Hi Roadster, not to worried about paint at the moment but I think it will be in Lotus racing colours, green with 2 yellow stripes over and a yellow nose as its roots originally came from Lotus blood, just a bit of a tribute thing on my part...
Old 22nd March 2016, 23:39

Sounds good
I always had a softspot for the McCoy it came for my lover of the Clan crusaders and then the clover
https://youtu.be/O-7dsvZ8EtA
Old 23rd March 2016, 09:32
Enthusiast

Years ago I had an Imp which I rallied and when the clans came out I wanted one, I really liked the shape of the clover as it gave it much more, I heard at the time that a mini based derivative was going to be made but I never knew then if it got done so when I came across my car at first I thought it was a clan of some sort until I opened the bonnet and it then clicked, I am glad I have it because there are so many after market changes available because of the mini scene it gives the McCoy loads of engine and suspension options and they transfer straight into the McCoy. The engine, subframe and suspention I have fitted was destined to my son's mini project but when that got shelved I got lucky and thats why my McCoy is where it is today, I was going to originally going to do a refurb with a later mini engine and subframes for which I bought a doner but that was sold after I aquired the Honda parts and all the other bits which was going onto my son's mini.....lucky me...the trouble is I started getting ideas for headlight changes and other things which has made this project into what it is today...
Old 23rd March 2016, 10:08

I know what you mean, once your bitten you can't leave anything standard.
I love when its on the road and you hear comments like "oh yeah its an old Alpine"
They have no idea of the work that went into making a one off
Old 23rd March 2016, 10:35
Enthusiast

I took mine a few years ago to a McLaren staff open day and the amount of people who thought it was a Clan, understandably if the bonnet was on but it wasn't...lol, some educating was in need ...

Last edited by pompeyal; 23rd March 2016 at 10:38.. Reason: .
Old 29th March 2016, 21:42
Enthusiast

Bonnet continued

Applied some satin matt to the underside of the bonnet and assembled the furniture…

The bonnet catch needed a slight adjustment because it was riding high when closed, so back to work and lowered the pin by 7mm..

When the bonnet was in place it was found that the edges on the car around it had to be sharpened up so while the bonnet was off I built them up which improves the panel gap look..

I made some captive nuts today to replace the too short captive bolts that came with the scoop, I had previously drilled the hole to fit the scoop but as the glass bonnet is thicker than the bonnet of the Suburu from which it came the bolts were not long enough

Refitted the bonnet and aligned the front edge then drilled the car for the bracket fixings and secured it, the bonnet shape had some shape errors so I then pegged around where I needed to reshape and applied heat and weights to persuade it to move until the desired curvatures had been achieved.

A few more tweaks required and some edge sanding and hopefully it will fit nicely….
Old 30th March 2016, 23:15
Enthusiast

Bonnet continued

Started on refining the bonnet fit tonight, ensuring no rubbing on the front edge as it hinges up, some light sanding to the edges and adjusting the panel gap has done the trick..

Done a trial fit of the scoop to ensure that it also cleared which it done with about an 8mm clearance..

It needs some heat adjustment doing to the rear edge and some grinding back a little and then it will be really close..

Little by little its finally getting there and next the front spoiler..
Old 31st March 2016, 15:07

jones is on a distinguished road

This looks great, love how well it has all come together. Great work! Just wish my own build has this amount of success
Old 31st March 2016, 16:39
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by jones View Post
This looks great, love how well it has all come together. Great work! Just wish my own build has this amount of success
Thanks, what problems have you got?
Old 2nd April 2016, 08:47

Paul L is on a distinguished road

Great to see the bonnet back in position.

Glad all your hard work paid off, good luck, Paul.
Old 2nd April 2016, 09:02

jones is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by pompeyal View Post
Thanks, what problems have you got?
The bonnet on the tribute kit has an achilles issue, you will notice that probably 90% of the mx250 kits completed people have used external Morris hinges or something similar I want a clean look for my car. The problem is the mounting point for whatever you use due the to curves. I saw your solution and thought it was the winner, however when testing out the theory the radius of the edges are too big and force the mounting point too far back meaning you can only open it a few inches before the bonnet catches the top of the radiator. I have some modern mini bonnet hinges to try once I have got the rear body all sanded and blended. The front should be relatively easy as it bolts on and off to try out ideas.

Last edited by jones; 8th April 2016 at 07:19..
Old 2nd April 2016, 10:40
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by jones View Post
The bonnet on the tribute kit has an achilles issue, you will notice that probably 90% of the mx250 kits completed people have used external Morris hinges or something similar I want a clean look for mine car. The problem is the mounting point for whatever you use really due the to curves. I saw your solution and thought it was the winner, however when testing out the theory the radius of the edges are too big and force the mounting point too far back meaning you can only open it a few inches before the bonnet catches the top of the radiator. I have some modern mini bonnet hinges to try once I have got the rear body all sanded and blended. The front should be relatively easy as it bolts on and off to try out ideas.
I looked at using boot lid hinges as they lift up and away from the bodywork, maybe that would be the way to go or conventionally hinge it from the back..