Are you madabout kit cars      
 "We've Got Kit Cars Covered" Information about Madabout-Kitcars.com Contact Madabout-Kitcars.com         Home of UK kit cars - madabout-kitcars.com Various kit car write ups All the latest kit car news Kit car related and general discussion

Search
Manufacturers
Kit Cars
Kit Car Data sheets
Picture Gallery
SVA Knowledgebase
Clubs & Communities
Build cost estimator
Kit cars for sale
Knowledge Base 
KitcarUSA.com
Classic-Kitcars.com

Go Back   Madabout Kitcars Forum > Mad Build Area > Tribute Automotive Builds

Tribute Automotive Builds Discuss your Tribute kit build

Old 27th May 2017, 19:08

Jaguartvr is on a distinguished road

I've flow coated the inside of the bonnet in a similar colour and am painting under the front wing up to the slam panel. The rest of the engine bay can stay as it is. My slam panel needs a good scurf off but I will do that later.
Its interesting that Andy's car was the same colour as mine but underneath and the engine bay was black rather than body colour.
Makes it easier when doing a colour change.

When I built our extension a few years ago we had to have a company name to get the discounts.

Bodgit & Creepaway

Even had vinyl signage put on my old pick up.
Old 31st May 2017, 18:00

Door shuts and the front wing inner panels all in topcoat at last. I just gave it all a wet sand with 600 wet & dry, to be honest I wasn't expecting the inner front wing and the top of the flitch panels to come out very well but pleasantly surprised at how good it's come out. The front slam panel is a little rusty in a couple of spots but the bonnet latches are a bit nasty as well so they will wait to later. Still trying for the 10th but not sure if it will be possible but am having a good go.
Old 2nd June 2017, 07:07

Front clam all flatted down and ready for topcoat, smooth as a babies bum!
Working on the metal door surrounds today and hopefully flat down the rear clam. The idea is to get the inner doors painted and re hung so the car can be moved outside whilst the rest of the body is finished. I'm expecting a few problems rehanging the passenger door as I had to remove the hinge plates from the door itself. Lower hinge will not lift off, opens and closes ok but will not lift even with my big hammer. For this reason I would like to get the doors on first so there is less chance of me damaging any of the newly painted panels.
I'm using a scurff ball in a die grinder to prepare and metal work for primer, works very well and quickly.
http://www.mytoolshed.co.uk/p1088552...04MaAv738P8HAQ

I'm not sure what primer filler my painter used but it is very easy to flat down, mush easier than anything I have ever had to finish before. I will ask him what he used today.
Old 2nd June 2017, 07:32

Paul L is on a distinguished road

Jag - Exciting times.

Good luck, Paul.
Old 2nd June 2017, 11:40

trev dunn is on a distinguished road

Keep at it Steve you'll get get inspiration as each job gets finished.
Trev
Old 2nd June 2017, 18:10

Inner sections of doors painted and clear lacquered, will be hung on Monday morning.
I must congratulate myself on the fantastic colour choice!!!
Hope to flat down the rear clam and door skins on Monday as well so hopefully will get the paint on Tuesday and Wednesday so the BBQ is still a possibility for it's grand entrance.
Old 5th June 2017, 19:22

Doors on and all the panels flatted down except for the sills as they need to be re primed. I had done them and they were painted in the final colour to check I liked its in the flesh, which I did, unfortunately my preparation wasn't good enough (not even close) so all flatted down ready for re priming tomorrow.
Painter has a bit of a backlog which he needs to get through. I hoping to persuade him to top coat the door skins and sills tomorrow so I can be bolting them back on on Wednesday. Hopefully the rest will be painted Thursday so I can refit the body on Friday so that I can get to the BBQ to claim that prize of a barrel of beer!
A lot of trim will be missing and its will still need a final polish but I'm hopeful that I can get finished enough for the drive down on Saturday.
Old 6th June 2017, 06:55

Jag – Sounds like you are following the Tribute tradition of getting a car ready for a show at the last minute.

I really hope you make it and look forward to seeing the photos/final colour scheme.

Good luck, Paul.
Old 6th June 2017, 08:02

Lucky@LeMans is on a distinguished road

My car is still at the paint shop, still a few issues they're not happy with and one or two I'm not happy with! They've had the car 5 weeks now so that's pushed me back a couple more weeks. Still hoping to have it on the road this autum , maybe!
Old 9th June 2017, 06:37

Default So close....yet so far!

Sills painted and fitted, door skins painted and having cut and polish this morning . I still have to fit the weather strips to the doors which is very fiddly, have to be careful that i don't screw all the way through the skin. Doesn't help that I have lost one of the strips.
Front and rear clams along with the bonnet and boot are in the booth for painting this morning. Oven is going to be gently warmed only but hopefully I can start fitting this afternoon.
Then I have a sticky take cylinder to free off.
I am still hopeful of making the BBQ on Saturday but it's going to be very tight.
Panel gaps will probably still need sorting out along with loads of small details.
Grill and mouth will take a while to fit but am intending to have a go at that on Saturday morning, will give the paint a little longer to harden.
Old 9th June 2017, 08:32

Barber is on a distinguished road

Good luck. I am looking forward to seeing it in all it''s glory.
Old 9th June 2017, 09:45

ericholm is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up

Sorry I won't be able to make it but look forward to seeing the pictures!!!
Old 9th June 2017, 21:54

Default Quick Update

Finished the painting about 3pm so no time to flat and polish so the unveiling will be from the gun. Thrown it back together literally, will take a while to get the gaps adjusted so again won't be gapped for the BBQ.
Still need to fit grill, free off sticking brake and fit my new wheels.
Inside is still full of sanding dust so will have to hope for sunny weather tomorrow so I can have the roof down to try and clean the inside.
Lost one of the window weatherstrips so there are going to be a few bits missing.
Old 9th June 2017, 22:12

WorldClassAccident is on a distinguished road

Bring it down. Mine has lost the grill and headlight surround on a bird strike.

Perfect is not expected
Old 10th June 2017, 07:04

Jag - Sounds like you will be driving your SWB250 to the BBQ, which is a great result.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaguartvr View Post
...so no time to flat and polish so the unveiling will be from the gun...
At least we will be able to see the difference that flatting at polishing make to the final finish.

Good luck, Paul.
Old 10th June 2017, 19:56

Good news on my petrol filler pipe, I had used the CBS flexible pipe but found it filled up and spat fuel back out of the cap when filling. The pipe is 2" diameter at each end but necks in to about 1 1/2" in the centre due to the concertina effect. I have replaced it with plain 2" boat fuel pipe, it works, no splash back so long as you don't pull the trigger too hard.
I was admiring Williams car at the BBQ and he has gone about it in a slightly different way. He has fed a (32 or38mm) blue water pipe all the way though the pipe finishing inside the tank. The tight fit of the nozzle in the pipe forces the petrol directly into the tank. Good solution.
Old 11th June 2017, 07:20

Jag - Glad you made it to the BBQ, is your car the one on the right in this photo?

Are there any more photos of it?

Cheers, Paul
Old 11th June 2017, 12:09

I bought some brand new old stock chrome wire wheels that were sold as Jaguar but turned out to be BMW. They are laced differently, they are laced more in the centre so look more like the Borrani style. Problem is that they stick out about 1 1/2 inches further which gives the car a bit more aggresive appearance which I'm not so keen on, so the originals are going back on.
f2 by jaguartvr, on Flickr

f1 by jaguartvr, on FlickrSo if anyone is looking for a set of brand new (except for one trip to Southampton and back) set of chrome wire wheels you know who to ask. Now sold.

Car still has to be flat and polished and the panel gaps adjusted.
The indicators on the rear are brake lights with amber covers, this gives you a double brake light bulb, normal filament is used as the indicator and the "brake" element is used for the reversing lights. I have attached 2 LED high intensity brake light bulbs to the inside of one of the rear reflectors, all wired together and this will act as the rear fog light, still have to wire them up but don't see why it won't work.
I was still bolting things on as I left for the BBQ so still quite a few bits to finish.

Last edited by Jaguartvr; 22nd July 2017 at 17:10..
Old 11th June 2017, 12:27

lancelot link is on a distinguished road

So if you are using the twin filament units for indicator and reversing light ,they are usually 21/5 bulbs , sidelight would be 5w and brakelight 21w. indicators are usually 21w too ...so do you have a 5w rear indicator now or a 5w reversing light ?
Old 11th June 2017, 12:51

Thats right, it does make the indicators dimmer. Ideally the 5w side would be brighter but I don't think you can get any other bulbs.