Are you madabout kit cars      
 "We've Got Kit Cars Covered" Information about Madabout-Kitcars.com Contact Madabout-Kitcars.com         Home of UK kit cars - madabout-kitcars.com Various kit car write ups All the latest kit car news Kit car related and general discussion

Search
Manufacturers
Kit Cars
Kit Car Data sheets
Picture Gallery
SVA Knowledgebase
Clubs & Communities
Build cost estimator
Kit cars for sale
Knowledge Base 
KitcarUSA.com
Classic-Kitcars.com

Go Back   Madabout Kitcars Forum > Mad Chat > General chatter

General chatter This is the place to talk about anything kit car related that doesn't come under any of the other categories

Old 5th March 2004, 18:14

spydernut is on a distinguished road
Default Spyder Silverstone

Has anybody come across the Spyder Silverstone. Was a 7 inspired kit produced by Spyder back in late 80's with ledgendary handling and performance. Spyder stopped production only after 28 units were produced so they are pretty rare. I have been trying to get my hands on one but to no avail.
Would like to find out if anyone knows anything about it or better still knows where there is one!
Available from eBay
Old 6th March 2004, 19:55
Enthusiast

Ferg is on a distinguished road

I remember it's launch and the company is very highly regarded, but I never took a lot of notice I'm afraid......
Old 31st May 2005, 21:59

geoffkirkby is on a distinguished road
Default SPYDER SILVERSTONE.......I'VE GOT ONE!!!!

I own one of the few remaining Silverstones, and YES they are as good as they are reputed to be. I have recently replaced the 2TG 1600 twincam with a 3SGE 2litre 16v Toyota unit but have kept the excellent T50 gearbox. This has entailed bellhousing mods, manifold mods and lots of one off parts to convert this normally FWD engine to RWD. Next on the agenda are 42mm Honda Blackbird carbs to replace the Solexes.. I have machined a two piece manifold from solid and am presently sorting out an airbox. The engine is rated at 173bhp on injection as standard and I feel I should be able to match this figure or even exceed it. The car itself was stored for over 10 years prior to my buying it in December 2003. The chassis is really well engineered, the best I've ever seen. When I first saw the car I just knew I had to have it, even though it was a non runner at the time. I should be going to NEWARK. If you are there come and have a look. Checkout the following link
http://www.totalkitcar.com/tkc_article_92.php

If you were thinking of buying one how much were you prepared to pay??
Cheers for now, GEOFF
Old 1st June 2005, 10:41

spydernut is on a distinguished road
Default Silverstone

Geoff,
Since posting my message I have in fact bought one. Like yours, had been stored for 10 odd years and was less engine and gearbox however I am now in process of fitting a Duratec with SBD throttle bodies and MT75 5 speeder. Diff is 3.92 Should be good for aroung 200+ bhp
I still have the old Kit car mags with the article in it from 1986/7 and have always wanted to own one as I can remember going down to the factory and seeing the workmanship that went into it. They really are a work of art when you compare them to some of the rubbish you can buy today.
I am doing a ground up restoration, chassis and panneling are now Racing Blue, vented discs up front with std Type 16's
I am doing away with windscreen, heater etc as will be mainly using it for some track days.
Great to hear of other cars being used. Not sure if I will be going to Newark but would like to hook up sometime and talk nuts and bolts!
Have you any pics you can attach of your Spyder
Do you know of anyone else with one?? Seems we are a pretty elite and priveliged band..
Keep in touch
Old 1st June 2005, 19:41

Hello again, please access the following link for pics of my SILVERSTONE. http://ntlworld.photobox.co.uk/album/1460235

The CNC machined manifold shown is a thing of beauty. Two pieces sealed together by individual O rings. This is to allow swift removal of the carbs to get to the jets etc. which are accessed from underneath. When the throttles are fully open and the vacuum slides are raised they are perfect tubes all the way through with no restrictions at all! Throttle bodies on the cheap! Also shown is the shortened injection manifold I made then never used. I should be able to sell this item, probably to Australia or NZ where they use the 3SGE engine like we use Redtops.
Front brakes are AP Racing alloy four pot radial mounts. Ignition ECU is by HYPERPAK in NZ and fires four plug mounted coils. Very sexy!
The yellow wheels are a point of contention. I like them. What do you think?
Have you any experience of AVON ACB10 tyres? I've seen them cheap on the net but I'm not sure about their apparent whitelining characteristics when used on the road. The limited lifespan doesn't worry me.
I'll send you my email address in a PM. I would definately like to come down and see your Silverstone sometime, it would make a nice drive out for myself and my Westie driving friend. I don't know of any other Silverstones. Could we have the last two?
Old 30th January 2009, 02:20

spyder4 is on a distinguished road

I recently purchased a spyder silverstone with a bd engine that was in storage from 1989 until present time. I replaced the damaged 5 speed ZF tranny (could not locate parts) with a 4 speed unit. Also, I replaced the twin disc AP racing clutch with a unit suitable for street use. The only remaining problem is a broken axle. I have not found a source for a replacement axle at this time.
Old 12th April 2010, 14:03

Spyderman is on a distinguished road

I have the Spyder Silverstone ex works racecar, with the lightweight chassis and a ZF box. It originally had a Totyota lump but when I bought it it had an 160hp Pinto. I have fitted a 230hp Duratec with fuel injection, oil/water intercooler, electric waterpump and external exhaust so that my shoe soles didn't melt. Gearbox adaption and space were the two main problems.
Old 12th April 2010, 14:11

Spyderman is on a distinguished road

I might consider selling my Silverstone as I am having problems registering it in Andorra where I live. It is the ex works lightweight race car now fitted with 230hp Duratec engine.
Old 19th May 2010, 16:09

cavesenior is on a distinguished road
Default Syder silverstone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spydernut View Post
Has anybody come across the Spyder Silverstone. Was a 7 inspired kit produced by Spyder back in late 80's with ledgendary handling and performance. Spyder stopped production only after 28 units were produced so they are pretty rare. I have been trying to get my hands on one but to no avail.
Would like to find out if anyone knows anything about it or better still knows where there is one!
I have one in the garage, it was ready for sva in 2004 but sadly the owner passed away. if you want any further details let me know.
dave
Old 26th May 2010, 22:46

chris-g is on a distinguished road

My friend has one of these. I think its one of the later ones as it has the air dam on the nose. It hasn't run for few years but having looked round it, I think that would like one of my own.
Old 28th May 2010, 16:14

cavesenior is on a distinguished road
Default syder silverstone

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris-g View Post
My friend has one of these. I think its one of the later ones as it has the air dam on the nose. It hasn't run for few years but having looked round it, I think that would like one of my own.
if you are interested contact me. if you require any photos etc let me know.
dave
Old 26th July 2010, 16:03

I am now the proud owner of a Spyder Silverstone. I would be happy to hear from other owners, feel free to send me a private message.
Old 30th July 2010, 22:47

Hi Chris.
Congratulations on acquiring your Silverstone.
Amazing, isn't it, that amongst a world population that can hardly be into double figures, that THREE of the remainder are within ten miles of one another!!

See you at the weekend, hopefully!!

Geoff.
Chassis #12
Old 29th August 2010, 17:26

Hemel is on a distinguished road
Default spyder silverstone

Hi Geoff,
just registered on the forum and saw your comments on the Silverstone.
Had mine for 20years, originally fitted with a Toyota 2TG,(that broke the crank), now fitted with a Vauxhall 2ltr with some SBD mods and a Ford type 9 g/box.
I love it,use it all the time, nice to know there are still some others about although I've never seen another one on the road.

Tony
Chassis #9
Old 6th September 2010, 23:12

Geoff. Good to meet you and see your Spyder and the Phoenix the other week. Thanks for ride, I cant wait to get my car registered and on the road.

Tony. Great to hear that there is another Silverstone out there being used regularly. If you happen to be passing through Nottinghamshire its possible that you might just see another 3 Silverstones and all in one day.
Old 6th March 2011, 19:46

Smokey is on a distinguished road

I've owned two Spyder Silverstones over the years and am interested in a third if anyone is thinking of selling....

Smokey
Old 3rd May 2011, 20:02

scotspyder is on a distinguished road

Came across this forum which made intertesting reading.
Chassis #1R the original development car believed to have been raced by Vic Moore with a Toyota engine and gearbox , was purchased in 1986 and competed in the Scottish Sprint and Hillclimb championships in a road sports car class with a Lotus engine and Bullit gearbox with some success and remains fully trimmed with the original purchaser.

The whereabouts of Chassis #3 is known, but is an abandoned project requiring a complete build.
Old 28th December 2011, 14:14

millhouse2 is on a distinguished road
Default spyder silverstone

Have joined the Spyder conversation late, I built one of the first Silverstones having seen the car at the Esher it Car show.I set out to buy a Caterham but was impressed by the advanced engineering and quality of the Spyder which one the day.I built the car without instructions and received the kit in installments as they were still getting the production up too speed. Mine had the Toyota 1600 twin cam and 5 speed gearbox and was painted silver.I also designed and built aluminium full length sidescreens ( with sliding perspex windows, like a Caterham 7 mk 4 ) and a targa hardtop. I sold it a few years ago to a guy who took it to France.
Vic Moore the company MD was a lovely guy ,but left the company and moved to Texas when he married, have not heard from him in a long while. Loved the car but eventually changed it for an Elise ( so many cars so little time ).
Old 9th January 2012, 21:05

Hi Millhouse. Its good to hear that there is another Silverstone out there. Do you have any photos of your car? Which chassis number was it?
Old 10th January 2012, 20:32

millhouse2 is on a distinguished road
Chris
I am not sure about the chassis number,it was one of the very early cars that I do know as Vic Moore was still productionising the components when I ordered the kit ,I sold the car a few years ago but may still have some info,will have a search and see if I can find out. Yes I have some photos, early build shots and finished car ( including aluminium sidescreens ) not sure how to upload them, what is the process?

Millhouse 2