Are you madabout kit cars      
 "We've Got Kit Cars Covered" Information about Madabout-Kitcars.com Contact Madabout-Kitcars.com         Home of UK kit cars - madabout-kitcars.com Various kit car write ups All the latest kit car news Kit car related and general discussion

Search
Manufacturers
Kit Cars
Kit Car Data sheets
Picture Gallery
SVA Knowledgebase
Clubs & Communities
Build cost estimator
Kit cars for sale
Knowledge Base 
KitcarUSA.com
Classic-Kitcars.com

Go Back   Madabout Kitcars Forum > Mad Build Area > Tribute Automotive Builds

Tribute Automotive Builds Discuss your Tribute kit build

Old 19th August 2017, 22:32

Welshkiwi is on a distinguished road
Default New to the forum-Getting ready for a 250swb!

Hi all, firstly want to say thanks and what a great set of threads this is for any wannabe/budding builder of a conversion kit such as the Tribute 250.
Have learnt a lot in such a short time that will hopefully see me right.

Just for info I am in New Zealand so unless you are moving the BBQ to a satellite location soon we won't easily get to meet!. My previous kit experience was a DAX Rush (pinto powered) about 15 years ago. Anyway enough about me. Look forward to trading ideas/tips and contacts with you guys, hopefully I can alleviate a lot of potential mistakes before they occur! Will definitely start a build thread when able to secure a car and a kit.

1st quick questions for me are:

1. First love is the coupe, but with harsh nz weather (I.e UV etc) I am thinking of fibreglass being put under a bit of strain and stress through to roof area etc. so am thinking to start with a California with original roof/glass etc. if after a few years of that I am assuming it is possible to get a new back end kit and roll cage and do the coupe if desired....thoughts?

2. Engine options are tying me in knots between the 2.8 and the 3.0. I am looking for sensible usable power not neck snapping. Major desire is the sound coming from the custom pipe set up will match the look of the car. I am assuming this will happen with either engine based on sensible pipe setup that can handle all activity, including "MOT" activity. Based on NZ availability the 2.8 and 3.0 are both options but the 28 at a better price point. I am currently looking at a dual vanos motor and thinking that minor mods eventually, good custom pipes and make be some intake work might be a good way to go.

Enough from me to start, cheers for ya time!
Available from eBay
Old 20th August 2017, 11:32

Paul L is on a distinguished road

Welshkiwi - Welcome to the forum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welshkiwi View Post
...1. First love is the coupe, but with harsh nz weather (I.e UV etc) I am thinking of fibreglass being put under a bit of strain and stress through to roof area etc. so am thinking to start with a California with original roof/glass etc. if after a few years of that I am assuming it is possible to get a new back end kit and roll cage and do the coupe if desired....thoughts?...
Just a couple of thoughts on this...

Give the body panels are securely bonded into place, I guess removing the rear section of the convertible would be a pretty messy job, with the real risk of damaging something else in the process.

Also after a few years use on the road, you may have a job to match the colour of the new rear to the old front.

Personally, if you are concerned about the coupe body shell being under stress, you could always beef it up a bit.

As it wouldn't be too hard to add some extra fibreglass matting to the underside.

Although it would be worth double checking with Chris @ Tribute to ensure this wasn't going to cause any fitting/clearance issues.

Good luck, Paul.
Old 21st August 2017, 06:33

Thanks Paul! Appreciate the advice.

I am currently floating between a few options:

Standard coupe but modified as you suggest in the "key areas"
Kalifornia body and keep the car standard
Kalifornia body and procure a hardtop that is glassed and modified to show coupe style lines from 90 degrees to the car. Different I know but just brainstorming whether I can visually work out a good coupe line with a bolt on/modified roof and still have Kali usability. Trouble is I love the 250 coupe lines so much it almost seems sacrilegious to even think it let alone type it! Cheers, Mark.
Old 21st August 2017, 07:11

Barber is on a distinguished road

I think you are referring to the Z3 based 250SWB rather than the MX250 above. If so, I think the Kali rear is bolted and removable? I believe the coupe top is bonded to the windscreen though, so once in place, don't expect to move it.

I believe the MX250 is bonded front and rear.
Old 21st August 2017, 08:09

Jaguartvr is on a distinguished road

Why not a convertible and then modify a hard top to fit? I would imagine it would be cheaper considering the shipping. Being removable gives you the best of both worlds, saying that I had hard tops on my MGB, Stag, Etype and BMW, never used any of them and that is with the UK's weather, all they ever do is take up room in the garage.
Not much difference between the 2.8 and 3.0, the 3.0 being newer will always be more expensive. Comes down to whats available and price. Condition, mileage and price more important than 2.8 or 3.0. Don't go below the 2.8 or you will be very disappointed.
If you do your homework it could be worth your while buying all the parts from the UK and have them delivered with the kit, could save quite a bit on postage and import duty.
Old 21st August 2017, 08:54

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barber View Post
I think you are referring to the Z3 based 250SWB rather than the MX250 above. If so, I think the Kali rear is bolted and removable? I believe the coupe top is bonded to the windscreen though, so once in place, don't expect to move it.

I believe the MX250 is bonded front and rear.
Apologies Barber, should have kept my language clear. 250 SWB is what I am looking at but I can't bring myself to denigrate the top lines of the coupe with a Z3 hardtop unless I can convert it to something very close to the original lines. If I can't get my visuals to line up then it will be 250SWB coupe all the way without a doubt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaguartvr View Post
Why not a convertible and then modify a hard top to fit? I would imagine it would be cheaper considering the shipping. Being removable gives you the best of both worlds, saying that I had hard tops on my MGB, Stag, Etype and BMW, never used any of them and that is with the UK's weather, all they ever do is take up room in the garage.
Not much difference between the 2.8 and 3.0, the 3.0 being newer will always be more expensive. Comes down to whats available and price. Condition, mileage and price more important than 2.8 or 3.0. Don't go below the 2.8 or you will be very disappointed.
If you do your homework it could be worth your while buying all the parts from the UK and have them delivered with the kit, could save quite a bit on postage and import duty.
You are reading my mind Jaguar. As above reply tho just can't bring myself to destroy the beauty of the car with a bolt on unless it looks right. I do want function of open top as I was a Dax Rush runner, but it is not the be all and end all.
I'll be honest, I am about 80% fixed on the coupe, it is the engineer in me that is trying to wrestle with a "dual model"......I'll never learn!
Certainly looking at supplementing the kit with the extras I can get my hands on, already in contact with Chris about what are options for this. Rear screen is a definite.

Thanks for the engine info, I have reached decision that it doesn't really matter, it will be what ever comes along. Looking at a Dual Vanos 2.8 at present with only 45K miles on it so that is looking promising.
Cheers guys, appreciate it.
Old 21st August 2017, 08:56

You've answered your own question, it will just have to be the 250swb coupe.
Old 21st August 2017, 09:27

I am hearing you fella, it is amazing the clarity and how it can come when talking to like minded people.
Just for my info, the coupe doesn't have any headroom issues with standard seats in that you know of? I am 6ft 2' so just trying to make sure neck surgery is not going to be the next expense with a coupe!
Cheers.
Old 21st August 2017, 09:30

I have the (far superior) convertible so can't comment but haven't read of any headroom problems.
Had you thought about fitting a period webasto folding sunroof?
Often fitted to many British sports cars of the period.
Old 21st August 2017, 09:39

That is an interesting thought that hadn't crossed my mind. Might be one for the future if the cabin gets a bit hotter than planned. Cheers.
I am also looking into possibly modding the coupe glass so that eventually instead of the sliding window option it could be a retractable electric window as per the donor, but re-shaped to have a small quarter light at the front but also a small quarter light at the back to "straighten the window" this will allow the central piece to slide up and down into the original door me hopes!
Old 21st August 2017, 09:43

Good idea, the problem is that these small improvements can add months to a build.
I was speaking to Edgik about his windows on the 275 and it seems to be a nightmare to get it right.
Old 22nd August 2017, 04:31

Just read Edgik's thread and I see what you mean about the windows. I will take my time/plan well and ensure plenty of "lemonade" on tap nearby when I tackle that conundrum.
Old 22nd August 2017, 11:23

Question A holler for advice - Z3 frontal impact protection

Hi guys,

I have luckily found a thread from a compadre in NZ that had some issues with the frontal impact regs and the front bumper being removed. As this assy has impact absorbers in it for low level (2.5MPH) crashes, it seems unclear whether this removal goes against the certification regs or not. So my question is:

Does anyone have any info on whether the bumper construction and energy absorption mounts for this car (Z3) is classified as part of the frontal impact structural systems etc?
Can anyone tell me exactly what kind of structure gets removed as part of the front bumper assy. I can find the energy absorbers (Qty 2) but what is the bumper generally constructed of and sub strengthening?

I will need to talk to the certifiers about this.
Reason for asking is the NZ LVV standards state:

A production low volume vehicle that has reached 14 years of age or more may
feature modifications that could affect any crumple zones or other energyabsorbing
measure incorporated by the vehicle manufacturer within the frontal
impact protection system, provided that:
(a) any removal of material from, or modification to, any crumple zone areas
or other energy-absorbing measure, or areas forward of those crumple
zones or other energy-absorbing measures, is minimal; and
(b) any chassis rail or sub-frame rail bridging components provided by the
vehicle manufacturer (such as structural tie-bars behind the front
bumper) are not removed or significantly modified.

Much appreciated for any advice can be shared, I am not feeling it is a total deal breaker, but it may end up as too much potential for "variance" which may risk bringing the kit in altogether.

Cheers Mark.
Old 22nd August 2017, 11:35

The 250 has to have the front impact bar and the bumper shock absorbers removed to fit the front clam. The 275 keeps them both so would pass your regulations.
You maybe able to fit a 275 front and 250 rear, the door skins I believe are the same.
Old 22nd August 2017, 17:17

lancelot link is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaguartvr View Post
the 250 has to have the front impact bar and the bumper shock absorbers removed to fit the front clam. The 275 keeps them both so would pass your regulations.
You maybe able to fit a 275 front and 250 rear, the door skins i believe are the same.
and would still be a great looking car ....
Old 22nd August 2017, 17:34

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancelot link View Post
and would still be a great looking car ....
^^^ This
Old 22nd August 2017, 18:32

Thanks guys will look into this. Not familiar with the 275 so will have to do some research. Do you know if Chris supplies kits with 250 rear and a 275 front? Thanks.
Old 22nd August 2017, 18:43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welshkiwi View Post
Thanks guys will look into this. Not familiar with the 275 so will have to do some research. Do you know if Chris supplies kits with 250 rear and a 275 front? Thanks.
The 275 is not currently a production model, but Dan and Chris are the only reliable sources on this.

Regarding stock windows, you have seen what had to happen to the 275 to get close. If you want the 250 coupe rear, then I guess sliding glass is the only currently viable option. Again, Chris will no doubt answer specific questions.

Good luck, we are all chasing our dreams.
Old 24th August 2017, 04:26

Thanks all above for your help in this, I am in contact with Chris and working through the options. It looks likely we can work something.
Keep you posted when I know more!
Old 3rd September 2017, 07:31

Default Help for the taller drivers - coupe and headroom?

Hi guys, exciting times I have secured my donor car!
1999 2.8 (Double VANOS) with 47K miles on it. Great car, garaged for most of its life so hopefully happy days from here. (250 SWB or similar here we go) Picking up next week so when I do I will start my thread once I know what the car is going to be. Still finalising with Chris.

A question though for the taller timber out there. I am 6ft 2" and with the roof closed and the seat all the way back/down my head was rubbing slightly on the headlining. Not a major and was able to adjust a bit to make it not that noticeable. My concern is with the coupe, do you lose any head height with the roll cage/glass roof? Does the head get anywhere near the cage and may be limited/under aches and pain?
As I am in NZ and not able to sit in a car for trial, any advice is appreciated. I don't want to get caught out.
Anyone sat in kidges 275GTB? what is that like for headroom compared with your 250SWB's? (I will of course PM kidge for opinion!)

Cheers.