Are you madabout kit cars      
 "We've Got Kit Cars Covered" Information about Madabout-Kitcars.com Contact Madabout-Kitcars.com         Home of UK kit cars - madabout-kitcars.com Various kit car write ups All the latest kit car news Kit car related and general discussion

Search
Manufacturers
Kit Cars
Kit Car Data sheets
Picture Gallery
SVA Knowledgebase
Clubs & Communities
Build cost estimator
Kit cars for sale
Knowledge Base 
KitcarUSA.com
Classic-Kitcars.com

Go Back   Madabout Kitcars Forum > Mad Build Area > Marlin Sportster, Cabrio, Berlinetta and Roadster builds

Marlin Sportster, Cabrio, Berlinetta and Roadster builds Enthused or Confused about your vintage Marlin build? Ask away here or show off your build.

Old 14th September 2012, 18:44
Enthusiast

cabrioman is on a distinguished road
Default Heaters

I am rebuilding my Cabrio and considering ditching the Sierra heater which is the size of a small house in comparrison to the internal size of a Cabrio.

Plus I discovered you have to dismantle half the car to get the Sierra heater in and out if anthing goes wrong with it, which is far from ideal.

Has anyone used a heater from this mob

http://www.t7design.co.uk/index.php?...index&cPath=65

I was thinking of the modular 3.5Kw heater.

They also do some nice Billet bulkhead heater pipe connections rather than the Marlin stick a rubber hose through a hole approach

Its going to be used in conjunction with an M20 but I don't think the size/volume of the heater matrix is a factor in how well the engine cools.

Any experiences?

John
Available from eBay
Old 28th January 2013, 19:02

Cammy is on a distinguished road

John,
Bit surprised by the lack of replies on your post! I am also looking at heater options and am considering the same T7 one you refer to but also one of the Car Builder Solution models. Did you reach a decision?

I am looking at connecting it to an M52 B28 in a Sportster but have not done any compatibility checks yet!

Cheers

Cammy
Old 28th January 2013, 20:05
Enthusiast

MartinClan is on a distinguished road

I used the heater from a mini. A bit primitive but you can still get new matrixes and easy to fit. Works well in my Sportster.

Cheers, Robin
Old 28th January 2013, 22:09
Enthusiast

GreatOldOne is on a distinguished road

Same as Robin here - Austin / Rover Mini heater, no problem with it married up to a 2.5 litre boiler...
Old 28th January 2013, 22:24
Enthusiast

cabrioman is on a distinguished road

Hi Cammy

Yeah. I was surprised with the no response.

I haven't reached a hard decision yet but after some further consideration I think it will be possible to mod the sierra heater housing to allow the matrix to mount the opposite way round. By doing this the matrix comes out from the passenger side footwell which gets round most of the problem. I have sourced a spare unit to attempt the mod on it but not done it yet. It also means the heater hoses wiil exit on the correct side of the car.

The t7 units and others are pretty expensive so if my mod works it will solve my problem and save money.

I just didn't want to have to take the pedal box and steering column out if I had a matrix fail.

John
Old 28th January 2013, 22:39
Enthusiast

peterux is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartinClan View Post
I used the heater from a mini. A bit primitive but you can still get new matrixes and easy to fit. Works well in my Sportster.

Cheers, Robin
+1.
If you can get a late model one they are made of plastic and don't rust like the older type. There is one on ebay at the moment but for £184

Very easy to fit and works very well.
Old 29th January 2013, 16:28
Enthusiast

Mike is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by cabrioman View Post

............I haven't reached a hard decision yet but after some further consideration I think it will be possible to mod the sierra heater housing to allow the matrix to mount the opposite way round. By doing this the matrix comes out from the passenger side footwell which gets round most of the problem. I have sourced a spare unit to attempt the mod on it but not done it yet. It also means the heater hoses wiil exit on the correct side of the car.

I just didn't want to have to take the pedal box and steering column out if I had a matrix fail.

John
That strikes me as a great idea. Two problems solved in one.
Let us know how you get on........?
Old 29th January 2013, 19:13

denniswpearce is on a distinguished road

Heaters.........you boys are getting soft.

Open tops with the wind in your hair ( if you have any ), what could be better. Went out a couple of weeks ago, zipped up to the neck, woolly hat and gloves.

Fabulous
Old 29th January 2013, 22:10
Enthusiast

Patrick is on a distinguished road

I got the car builder solutions one, the fans keep coming on the shaft they sit on so they make a horrible scraping noise, I wouldn't recommend. I need to take it out at some point and add something to stop the fans moving.