Are you madabout kit cars      
 "We've Got Kit Cars Covered" Information about Madabout-Kitcars.com Contact Madabout-Kitcars.com         Home of UK kit cars - madabout-kitcars.com Various kit car write ups All the latest kit car news Kit car related and general discussion

Search
Manufacturers
Kit Cars
Kit Car Data sheets
Picture Gallery
SVA Knowledgebase
Clubs & Communities
Build cost estimator
Kit cars for sale
Knowledge Base 
KitcarUSA.com
Classic-Kitcars.com

Go Back   Madabout Kitcars Forum > Mad Build Area > Tribute Automotive Builds

Tribute Automotive Builds Discuss your Tribute kit build

Closed Thread

Old 7th January 2016, 09:22

y cymro is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Towed View Post
...or you could just use a pre-facelift 1.9 donor to start with. After all, in terms of power produced against capacity, it's a far more efficient engine than the 2.8.

Queue WCA...
Good idea. Fine engine, the 1.9 - based on the one BMW used to build their 1000bhp Grand Prix motors
Old 7th January 2016, 12:53

Lucky@LeMans is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by y cymro View Post
No, it's not. We're discussing wheel poke to ensure wheelarch clearance, and the necessary dimensions are total wheel width (not the J dimension) and the wheel offset.
The back face dimension is required to ascertain whether there's sufficient clearance from the inner rim to suspension components and bodyshell when on lock. Knowing the wheel width and ET dimension it's easy to calculate the backface dimension.

Which is the point made above by WCA, Smash and Mr T, and is why Richard has commissioned special lower offset spline adapters. But even so, you're going to need extended arches or a narrow rear hub conversion of you want to fit wheels with a large offset.
I'm sticking to my guns on this. Its the way I have always worked out wheel fitment , it can be calculated both ways .
You can only go so far with the hub adaptors. You have to look at other options if that still isn't enough.
It wouldn't be too difficult to narrow the axle on the Z3. The mounting points for the rear arm could be moved in an inch or two. Along with a short drive shaft you could easily fit the 6" Cobra 289 wires.
Old 7th January 2016, 13:54

WorldClassAccident is on a distinguished road

Must not bite, Must not bite, Must not bite, Must not bite, Must not bite, Must not bite, Must not bite...

Damn it, I can't help myself

Fine engine, the 1.9 - based on the one BMW used to build their 1000bhp Grand Prix motors

The Hippo and the Horse share the same basic starting point, just like the engines in a 1.9 Z3 and the GP motor...

:-)
Old 7th January 2016, 15:08

Quote:
Originally Posted by WorldClassAccident View Post
Must not bite, Must not bite, Must not bite, Must not bite, Must not bite, Must not bite, Must not bite...

Damn it, I can't help myself

Fine engine, the 1.9 - based on the one BMW used to build their 1000bhp Grand Prix motors

The Hippo and the Horse share the same basic starting point, just like the engines in a 1.9 Z3 and the GP motor...

HaHa, you were resisting it so well for a while ;-)
But don't forget that the M43/44 series motor that you so hate so much is based on the M10 which derived the M12 Grand Prix motor that produced 1500bhp or more (there wasn't a Dyno available in the 80s that could measure more than 1500 horse) in qualifying trim from 1500cc!

Info here if you could care less
Old 7th January 2016, 15:20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky@LeMans View Post
I'm sticking to my guns on this. Its the way I have always worked out wheel fitment , it can be calculated both ways .
Good for you , and of course you can calculate it from the backspace dimension but it's not a sensible way to measure the poke of the wheel, particularly as you have to take off a wheel and physically measure the backspace from the hub mounting face and then subtract this from the overall width of the wheel to find out how much it pokes out!! Backspace is used to measure inside clearance.
The ET and wheel dimensions are cast on the wheel so no measuring is needed using the method I suggested!

Quote:
It wouldn't be too difficult to narrow the axle on the Z3. The mounting points for the rear arm could be moved in an inch or two. Along with a short drive shaft you could easily fit the 6" Cobra 289 wires.
Get a grip! This can be much more easily done by replacing the rear hubs and drums from our beloved 2.8 cars with those from the hateful 1.9.

Last edited by y cymro; 7th January 2016 at 15:26.. Reason: Deleted E30 as it has 4 stud hubs except the M3
Old 7th January 2016, 16:32

Mister Towed is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by smash View Post
I did actually bid on a out run 1.9 year 2000 Z3 that had had 2.8 engine running gear swap so would've been ideal for SWB - typically I missed the end of the auction!
I seem to recall seeing an early 1.9 with an E30 325i straight six grafted in on ebay recently. I think it sold for about £750.

Could be an option worth considering: MOT failed 320i or 325i plus engine blown/damaged/missing Z3 1.9 = cheap donor for 250SWB + pile of cash from selling off unwanted parts from both cars.

And hopefully no hate-mail about your engine choice...
Old 7th January 2016, 18:33

Lucky@LeMans is on a distinguished road

I thought we were all being nice to each other now!

I'm not sure if the 1.9 conversion would give you enough space or not.

Yes you could convert the 1.9 to a straight 6 but it would be loads of work by the time everything is connected up. Just bite the bullet and buy a straight 6 from the word go!!
Old 7th January 2016, 19:31

Can i just confess that I don't care what car or engine anyone uses. Richard's better half (Nubodi) has a lovely 1.9 Z300S.

I base all of my prejudice and bile on a couple of back-to-back tests when looking for donors plus a load of internet banter and alcohol*.
Old 7th January 2016, 19:33

*I have decided to cut down my drinking for January to pay for the paint job on my Z300SWB bonnet. This explains my confession. Normal ranting will be resumed when I am back on the booze.

Old 7th January 2016, 20:27

Quote:
Didn't mean to upset you, just offering another way to do things
Importantly, you don't have to listen as your opinion is equally as important as mine. Though mine is better
Old 7th January 2016, 20:35

Quote:
Can i just confess that I don't care what car or engine anyone uses
Yeh, right

Quote:
I base all of my prejudice and bile on a couple of back-to-back tests when looking for donors plus a load of internet banter and alcohol*.
That's what powers the Internet At least you've done back-to-back testing which is more than most do before professing hatred, prejudice and bile!
Old 8th January 2016, 10:28

smash is on a distinguished road

Well SNG Barratt, whilst exclusive UK dealers for Dayton wheels - they actually only do the Jag ones and then only splined, not the bolt ons.

Turrino came back and quoted....£850 plus VAT per wheel for bespoke but said most economic would be start from "stock" jag and machine the spiggot so we'll see what the price comes in like.
Old 8th January 2016, 13:48

Have you asked MWS to quote for building you something bespoke too? In my experience (of looking not buying), they'll be cheaper than Turrino - who appear only to do chromed wheels/
Old 8th January 2016, 13:53

Also, Peter Richards Brothers wheels are well respected in the classic car field:
http://www.richards-bros.com/
UNIT 6. Hedel Road-CANTON-CARDIFF
CF11 8DJ. WALES. U. K.
Tel +44 (0)29 2022 9945
Fax +44 (0)29 2022 0717
Old 8th January 2016, 15:43

wolfie is on a distinguished road

*I have decided to cut down my drinking for January to pay for the paint job on my Z300SWB bonnet. This explains my confession. Normal ranting will be resumed when I am back on the booze.

Bloody Hell Nick you must get through a lot of the sauce !!
Old 8th January 2016, 17:12

Mister Towed is on a distinguished road

Quote:

I'm not sure if the 1.9 conversion would give you enough space or not.

Yes you could convert the 1.9 to a straight 6 but it would be loads of work by the time everything is connected up. Just bite the bullet and buy a straight 6 from the word go!!
Sorry, should've made myself clearer - the suggestion to fit a straight six into a 1.9 was in response to a question about narrowing the back end to accommodate splined wires while ending up with a car with the (more desirable) six cylinder motor rather than a criticism of the 1.9 engine.

Despite the obvious risk of it all being a bit of a ballache, I have a gut feeling that changing a 1.9's engine (and gearbox?) for a six pot is going to be easier and more likely to have been tried and tested than swapping the rear axle assembly. After all, there are a number of Z3's on you-know-what-tube running BMW or American V8 motors if you must have the full wind in the ponytail experience. Just watch out for the ground clearance and traction on your kitchen floor issues it creates though... -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XH8t5tY5xEI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B0dQ7AYYARQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iXvLcVv3Rmo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mWAJD_Kyjnc

Mind you, I still think a six pot sounds better.

Last edited by Mister Towed; 8th January 2016 at 17:14..
Old 10th January 2016, 13:34

Turrino have come back on their "stock" jag wheels

We can supply the 7 x 16 Jag bolt on wire wheels for £310 + VAT in chrome, or £410 + VAT each in stainless. They have an inset of 22mm.

So actually slightly cheaper than MWS.

Third email attempt to Dayton....
Old 10th January 2016, 17:18

Quote:
Originally Posted by smash View Post
Turrino have come back on their "stock" jag wheels

We can supply the 7 x 16 Jag bolt on wire wheels for £310 + VAT in chrome, or £410 + VAT each in stainless. They have an inset of 22mm.

So actually slightly cheaper than MWS.

Third email attempt to Dayton....
That sounds like a good price, and with an offset only an inch more than standard they should fit within the arches.

I had a quote for 17" wheels from Dayton about a year ago that was more than the Turrino quote. I'll see if I can find it.
Old 10th January 2016, 17:21

Found a quote from a March last year for 7x17" Truespoke with spinners - not Dayton as I thought - at $650 each plus carriage from the States, so Turrino sounds cheaper.

Last edited by y cymro; 10th January 2016 at 17:54..
Old 11th January 2016, 11:52

Well I've taken a deep breath and amended my excel spreadsheet to budget for 2k on wheels - at the end of the day they're a massive part of the overall appearance and impact of the vehicle.

I am however, no longer scrolling down to the total at the bottom!!
Closed Thread