Are you madabout kit cars      
 "We've Got Kit Cars Covered" Information about Madabout-Kitcars.com Contact Madabout-Kitcars.com         Home of UK kit cars - madabout-kitcars.com Various kit car write ups All the latest kit car news Kit car related and general discussion

Search
Manufacturers
Kit Cars
Kit Car Data sheets
Picture Gallery
SVA Knowledgebase
Clubs & Communities
Build cost estimator
Kit cars for sale
Knowledge Base 
KitcarUSA.com
Classic-Kitcars.com

Go Back   Madabout Kitcars Forum > Mad Build Area > Formosa Builds, Ideas and Discussion

Formosa Builds, Ideas and Discussion Formosa 120 GR and related builds

Old 22nd June 2017, 18:01

Paul L is on a distinguished road

Alex - Hi Graham,

I'd be another +1 on agreeing that Jeff H will do a great job on your car.
( Which is coming together very nicely Gary. )

Here is a great photo of three Tribute SWB 250s that Jeff painted.

To me, these look like they have just rolled out of the factory door.

Good luck, Paul.
Old 22nd June 2017, 19:59

lancelot link is on a distinguished road

I got stuck in to the bootlid today ...Graham decided he wanted internal hinges on the bootlid , which I think is the right choice for this car ...I will probably do my own car with pins to slot it in on the top edge and latches on the bottom ..bit like the Maserati's ...but this one is getting a different approach ...I used a pair of my door hinge blanks and made a bolt on pivet point .

I also bonded a strip of wood into the top internal edge of the bootlid . The wooden strip has 4 x 8mm studs sticking through it ...the hinges will locate on these studs ... When I left the workshop the bootlid was in place , mounted and operating ...but not glassed and final fixed .....I will take pictures tomorrow when its all fully glassed and fixed and not propped together ...
Old 22nd June 2017, 20:37

Alex is on a distinguished road

Hi Paul,great photo they certainly look good, sure Jeff will do an amazing job
Old 24th June 2017, 19:43

BOOTLID UPDATE :-

Here's the boot hinges in place and mounted to a 2mm steel plate holding them together which the wooden braced bootlid is attached to ...currently just screwed in place , but after paint will gain some adhesive as well ...

The bootlid in the closed position ...I have gapped it a bit , but will leave final gapping in the capable hands of the Jeffmeister ..

Graham asked if we could create a little boot area rather than the spare wheel cradle that is normally the case ...I shaped some 3mm ply to give him a curved boot floor , added a 3mm back edge with acess hatch to get to the number plate area and path for the loom ...3mm front face with slot cut to accept the front of the spare wheel and give you access to the diff , rear spring area ...some 12mm sides and ledges give some space under the rear wings and tie the bootfloor into the inner arches which are joined with screws , adhesive and fibreglass ...A combination of rivets , glue and fibreglass bonds it all together ....

The plan is to carry a stock 13'' 'spacesaver' spare , which with removal of the wire wheel and adaptor will get you home ...the removed 15'' wouldn't fit back in the boot , but in an emergency or get you home measure could be put in the passenger side footwell/seat area or clung onto by the passenger ! , not ideal , but better than no spare ... I suggested Graham carry an aerosol tyre inflater foam as well and if the tyre is still on the rim , he has another option to limp home too ...
Even if you never use the spare , the extra bit of ballast won't do any harm on these cars lighter rear ends either ...

Last edited by lancelot link; 24th June 2017 at 19:51..
Old 28th June 2017, 20:31

I started working out the dash and stuff this week ...holes are cut but gauges aren't fitted yet ... A centre panel utilizing the framework that forms the front section of the tunnel seemed to be an obvious thing to do and keeps the dash uncluttered as well as giving it a race car feel ..The steering column has had the switch holes blanked off with rivetted aluminium plates ...

Battery cutout switch is mounted just in front of drivers door hinge points too ...

I have also made a start on door frames and hinges etc. The hinge plates I had cut have had a small section of 12mm tube welded to the 8mm pivot hole and oil lite bearings fitted into the tube ..an 8mm bolt acts as a hinge pin .
The internal frames are still ongoing , but I sprayed a bit of silver on them to highlight their styling ... They are fully functional ..pretty much done , I just need to add a couple of mounting tags so they can be fixed to the doorskins in both shuts and the bottom edge to avoid external fixings ...
The passenger side one took a bit of working out , but I will hopefully nail the drivers one tomorrow in half the time ...

I have been using a pattern set of doorskins to work it out - a new set of doors will be made and they will be flowcoated to match the body ...

Last edited by lancelot link; 28th June 2017 at 20:36..
Old 29th June 2017, 06:54

Gary - Great progress and both the door and boot lid hinge arrangements look very solid.

Is your 'space saver' wheel just a standard 13" one?

As I've been toying with the idea of joining the inner section of a Spitfire wheel to the outer section of a modern space saver wheel.

So almost the reverse of 'banding' a wheel, but to be cut and welded by a professional.

Unless you know of any modern spares that would fit the odd Spitfire PCD.

Cheers, Paul.
Old 29th June 2017, 07:52

Mick O'Malley is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul L View Post
Unless you know of any modern spares that would fit the odd Spitfire PCD.
Hi Paul

I expect that you know about these, but just in case..............

Regards, Mick
Old 29th June 2017, 08:22

Yes Paul , its just a stock 13'' rim .. I used the term space saver to just denote its not a 15'' wire wheel ...sorry for the confusion ..
Old 5th July 2017, 22:08

Bit more work on the doors ...saddles made to accept Grahams latches and the dovetail style catches fitted as well ....a piece of 2mm plate was cut to shape and fitted to the rear of the B pillar , this will be tied into the frame when I've finished fettling in that area ...

Saddles are made from 2mm plate as well and stand about an inch proud of the location on the frame so this style of latch is accessible in the door from outside fairly easily , but not intruding on valuable cockpit space ....the large Landrover style dovetails take up the space in the shut perfectly ...Glan made the shuts so that a standard slam style latch could be used or , if required or desired , a bearclaw style latch and pin will still fit in the space easily ...

Old 9th July 2017, 09:52

Gary – I think there is something very cool about reaching into your car to open the door.
Old 12th July 2017, 19:35

Some updates ..nothing hugely photographic ( just as well with photo hosting issues at the moment !! ) but lots of little jobs leading up to the date at the paintshop in about a week to ten days ...roughly ..

Bonnet latches fitted ...difficult to see , but they are D type handles and home made latch plates ...

The top picture also shows the screen fitted and the mirrors ...all trial fitted and ready to be removed again before Jeffy Baby gets his hands on her to paint.

Graham didn't want to go with the screen I had patterned up to work with the screenposts and will be fitted with or without sidescreens ...He likes the S*mmio screen ( good taste ! ) and I suggested a Porsche 550 Spyder screen , as that was the starting point for the S*mmio ones - the first S*mmio used a 550 one too .....I collected the 550 screen this morning and popped it in place ....I have to say it does look rather good ...definitely an option to consider in future ...they aren't the cheapest screens in town , heat formed Porsche item and all that ....but they are rather nice ....I am going to get my local ally fabricator man to make a strip to go around the bottom , to look more Ferrari-esque ..

I fitted a cigarette lighter in the passenger A pillar area as well , it balances the battery cutout switch I fitted on the drivers side and gives Graham a electrical socket for a Sat Nav etc...

When STS first fitted up the chassis , I supplied them with a 60mm lowering block as that was what I tended to use on previous S*mmio builds...as the project develops into a car , it is obvious that the Formosa is heavier than it's cousins and 60mm was too much ...I removed the block , cut it down to 40mm , recapped it and fitted it back with appropriate bolts ...now she sits lovely ...
Whilst the wheels were off , I remembered that I hadn't boxed the front of the inner arches ...I intended to come back to them after bulkhead and seat belt mounts were done etc. in case I had restricted access ...so last job of the day before the wheels went back on was to box in these areas and glue and glass them to the existing inner arch and the body ...lovely and strong now and fully boxed off ...this area will be fully treated before the car is finished ...

Last edited by lancelot link; 12th July 2017 at 19:39..
Old 13th July 2017, 22:24

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancelot link View Post
...the date at the paintshop in about a week to ten days ...
At this rate your car will end up painted before mine.

Can you say what the colour will be, or is it a secret?

Good luck, Paul.
Old 13th July 2017, 23:18

kevemm is on a distinguished road

Looking really good coming along well Kev
Old 14th July 2017, 18:45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul L View Post
At this rate your car will end up painted before mine.

Can you say what the colour will be, or is it a secret?

Good luck, Paul.
No secret ....I flowcoated the inside Traffic red as that was the closest Gelcoat colour I could get to Rosso red ....

Graham is very keen on the Ferrari's of this period and the similarities are obvious ( I see Maserati more than Ferrari , probably the pout ...but influences came from all directions !! ) so wants a Ferrari-esque feel to the car ...so Rosso red with white roundalls is the order of the day ....
Old 14th July 2017, 21:28

Rudycob1 is on a distinguished road

Really great job here and following with interest.
I think the colour scheme will look great.
keep the updates coming.
Old 20th July 2017, 20:52

Wiring ...........................
Old 20th July 2017, 20:55

wiring ................ and niggle jobs prior to paint ...

aluminium panels for harnesses etc.

shift gate box and side floor aluminium patches to tie floor to body

bulkhead extension to shield upper bulkhead from excessive spray etc.

modified Herald bonnet stay to support bonnet

Last edited by lancelot link; 20th July 2017 at 21:02.. Reason: added notes to photo's ....
Old 21st July 2017, 05:46

All these nice little touches will make a big difference to the overall look of the car.
Old 22nd July 2017, 10:43

Paint date has been postponed for a few days ...Jeffy Baby is cool with that ..he has no shortage of customers !

I'm now aiming for mid week to get it over there ...The wiring and a few bits are just quite time consuming and I am trying to get as much fitted and dealt with before paint to minimize drilling and climbing all over the car afterwards ......Glans working his way through the main wiring and we are close ...very close , but don't want the deadline pressures that can make mistakes .....
Old 24th July 2017, 19:29

wiring ....... bled brakes .......wiring ........bled clutch .........wiring ....... stoneguarded rear arches ........wiring .........fitting final sundry items ......wiring .......oh ....and wiring ....

Hoping to get last wiring and fitting up jobs done tomorrow , have a play with the door frames , final gapping , Glan is laying up fresh doors tomorrow as the ones we have been using to make doors , latches , hinges etc work are a bit knocked about ...... Plan at the moment is release doors from mould Wednesday morning , trim them and take the car to Jeff Wednesday afternoon ...