Are you madabout kit cars      
 "We've Got Kit Cars Covered" Information about Madabout-Kitcars.com Contact Madabout-Kitcars.com         Home of UK kit cars - madabout-kitcars.com Various kit car write ups All the latest kit car news Kit car related and general discussion

Search
Manufacturers
Kit Cars
Kit Car Data sheets
Picture Gallery
SVA Knowledgebase
Clubs & Communities
Build cost estimator
Kit cars for sale
Knowledge Base 
KitcarUSA.com
Classic-Kitcars.com

Go Back   Madabout Kitcars Forum > Mad Build Area > Tribute Automotive Builds

Tribute Automotive Builds Discuss your Tribute kit build

Old 30th November 2016, 12:11

Nostromo is on a distinguished road
Default Nostromo's MRS200

Hi all, about four months ago at roughly the same time as I was buying a house, I decided to bite the bullet and order myself an MRS200 kit and buy a half decent little MR2 to stick it to... much to my wifes dismay. This is my first go at a kit car and I assumed (naively) it would be a nice introduction into the world of building a car. I'll admit, theres a lot more to it than I originally imagined and it all seemed so simple when Andy described it over the phone! I haven't done a great deal to it as yet due to decorating and other duties that she feels are more important So, below is a brief rundown of where I've got to with pictures n'stuff. I'll do my best to update as and when I manage to do something but as I say, progress is slow. Especially as there doesn't seem to be any other build threads for this model that I can copy from!

Delivery

The donor being collected. Managed to get a facelifted average miler with a non smokey engine! Facelifted model was essential so that I could get a decent return on bodyparts. This way, I could justify it to the wife that little bit easier.

Not wanting to waste any time, the donor began being stripped the moment it got on my driveway! Its pretty much a meccano set. Everything was soooo easy to remove apart from the soft top which ripped!

Front end off

Rear end off

Basically something from Mad Max now

Bits to sell plus lights, vents etc...

Collection and transportation of a hard top which turned out to be the noisiest and most terrifying 30 mile drive of my life. Kept imagining it leaving the roof and taking out a biker.

Resting the kit on the car

It all seemed to be quite a good fit.

Last edited by Nostromo; 2nd September 2017 at 00:15..
Available from eBay
Old 30th November 2016, 12:11

Started off with some simple bits. Cutting holes and vents, mostly by hand with a pad saw. I didn't fancy using power tools on it as I was worried about shattering any of the fiberglass with the vibrations. Apart from the round holes that is. Have also set about rubbing down the mould lines and just trying to get it smooth(ish). Removing all of the yellow waxy stuff has been a bit of a mission too!

Cutting the roof away from the rear section was terrifying!! Again, all by hand.

Dug these out of the recycle bin at work as they have what I reckon will be a big enough footprint to make something to hinge the rear clam off of the hard top.

Got hold of some old skool Konigs (for £60!!!! ) which ought to look pretty good. Not sure whether to go white or bronze.

I've bought quite a few other bits and pieces for it - lights, rose joints, new cat, little engine mods. Theres probably more but its all up on a shelf which I can't reach to dissuade me from working on the main bit which is to get everything fitted right. The plan will be to build an exhaust so it can be really flipping noisy. It will literally be all show and no go until I can afford to either go for a turbo kit or theres been a lot of talk of fitting Golf 1.8T BAM lumps which would be a great install!

And that's pretty much it so far. Its flipping freezing in my garage which is made of wood and one side was rotten and pretty much fell off the other day So, i'm also having to put money into the house and the garage too... so that sucked.

Last edited by Nostromo; 2nd September 2017 at 00:21..
Old 30th November 2016, 14:32

Barber is on a distinguished road

Wow, great start for a beginner!
Old 30th November 2016, 14:51

Paul L is on a distinguished road

Nostromo - Welcome to the forum.

I'm looking forward to seeing how this kit goes together.
( As you say, there are no detailed build thread on here. )

However, I get the impression a few MRS200 kits have been sold recently.

So hopefully, the other builders will all start threads too and you can help each other.
( I'll add a link to this build to the useful info sticky at some point.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nostromo View Post
… I'll admit, theres a lot more to it than I originally imagined ...
If it makes you feel any better, there are a few of us on here who understand that statement all too well.

Quote:
… Its flipping freezing in my garage …
Again, if it makes you feel better, it is easier to heat up a garage than a driveway.

Jokes aside, it does look like you are making great progress.

Good luck, Paul.
Old 30th November 2016, 15:18

Mick O'Malley is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nostromo
I'll admit, there's a lot more to it than I originally imagined
I second Paul's comment!

Quote:
… Its flipping freezing in my garage …
And again, although my open-fronted man cave does at least face south!

Welcome Looking forward to your updates. If inspiration is ever required, just watch this.

Regards, Mick
Old 30th November 2016, 15:53

Mick O'Malley is on a distinguished road
Talking Memory Lane

Quote:
there's a lot more to it than I originally imagined

My first effort was a Series Two Phaeton. Tim Dutton's advert asserted that it could be completed in a weekend! This was somewhat wide of the mark, as I bought it in '82, started building in '84 and finished it in '86.

The first picture was taken on the day of the hurricane in '87. That tree came down right in front of me on my morning commute, showering the cockpit with twig shrapnel. It had been moved to the verge by the time I snapped it on my way home. The second picture is at Camping Bleu, Le Mans '90, just before I sold it to pay for my roof. Happy Days!

Regards, Mick
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Big wind.jpg (93.2 KB, 64 views)
File Type: jpg Le Mans '90.jpg (94.3 KB, 60 views)
Old 30th November 2016, 18:41

Thanks for the welcome folks.

Paul, yes you're right, a few more kits have been sold in a final final final run of kits so yeah hopefully there will be some more build threads starting soon. All of this is really new to me. I've never worked with fibreglass before so it's all a bit of a learning curve. Good fun though. Thankfully, I've always prided myself on being able to bodge things together and as there's no instructions to it, bodging is the way forward.

Mick, thanks for the link. As it happens, I'm gradually getting through all of the 80s and 90s rally bids on YouTube. One of the good things about working where I do and having time in my hands. Unfortunately I can't expect my piddly little mr2 engine to sound anywhere near as good as them or perform as well... But there's always room for improvement!
Old 30th November 2016, 20:09

wozzy is on a distinguished road

Great work there, I hopefully get my kit in the next few weeks, I'm going down the turbo route, so there shoiuld be some fun to be had sorting all that out haha.
i will be watching this with interest.
Keep up the good work
Old 1st December 2016, 07:55

SwiftyDS is on a distinguished road

Looks great so far and an inspiration to all us MRS200 builders.

I took delivery of my kit yesterday - I will start another build thread later today so I don't hijack yours, although so far efforts have been limited to dismantling the "crate" it came in and positioning the panels to fit in half of one side of the garage!
Old 1st December 2016, 11:33

I used my crate to rebuild the side of the garage that fell off did the driver ask where your fork truck was to get it off the back of his lorry?

Thanks for the kind words Swifty and Wozzy. Believe me, it's a bit of a Mona Lisa at the minute... Looks good from a distance. Got the car out in the sunshine a couple of weeks ago and it really showed just how much there is to do. So I put it back in the garage fairly sharpish!

Am trying to decide on the best course of action for how to make the doors fit. Skirts and roof first? Skirts and clam? All three, then adjust everything til it fits? The bonnet and bumper can sit in a corner as they won't need to be touched for a while. I've noticed that the bonnet will need to be trimmed on both sides where it meets the doors, maybe 10mm. You'll see when you test fit it all on. As I've got the wheels now, I think I'll get the spacers to fit them in. That'll give me something else to line the bodywork up to. So many decisions... not enough money!

Last edited by Nostromo; 1st December 2016 at 11:46..
Old 1st December 2016, 11:46

SwiftyDS is on a distinguished road

Well funny you should ask that .... it wasn't the same driver as you had was it !

I think he'd realised as he drove up to the house that it wasn't going to be easy - certainly if the look on his face as I answered the door and said "so you've got a kit car for me" is anything to go by. At least it was the last delivery he had so it was easy to get the other panels out of the crate on the lorry and then swing the it round to get it out.
Old 1st December 2016, 13:40

fatbloke is on a distinguished road

Good luck with this Nostromo - I was a kit car virgin with my MX build and thought "How difficult can it be?". What a fool I was. Anyway, it is really worth it in the end.
Old 3rd December 2016, 16:16

It definitely will be! I knownthat I just need to pace myself and was told by Retro200 (new member on here) that if I get upset or annoyed by anything to just leave it and have a breather. I don't feel like I've done that much to it but have certainly made use of his words already!
Old 3rd December 2016, 16:56

Mitchelkitman is on a distinguished road

Looks good. I hope you have a good time with the build. Putting the parts on loosely is always a good starting regime. One thing to look for is where the fit can be 'altered'. It's generally easier to take off material than to add it, and GRP is easy to work with. Be aware of parts that have little or no adjustment, and try to fit those early on, adjusting others to get the good fit - also be aware of things that can't be moved eg wheels centreline. Have a great time - I'll certainly find the build interesting. I wonder if the RS200 parts would fit an MGF?
Old 3rd December 2016, 16:56

Barber is on a distinguished road

Not done much? You are doing great.
Old 3rd December 2016, 17:01

Mitchelkitman is on a distinguished road

I always thought the RS200 was a great looking car, and strangely my Sister passed on 2 Scalextric RS200 cars from my nephew when he moved to Australia - all I need now is some track etc!
Old 11th December 2016, 21:24

Started refurbing a wheel today as I could bring it to work with me. Got this aluminium-polyester filler which is meant for wheels and a mouse to rub it down with. Wish i'd brought all the wheels as I've just prepped this one in about 40 mins. Its not perfect but a bit of high lift primer should make a good base for the colour. Just need to decide on a colour. I think they'll either be gold or white.

Also, for anyone interested (and so that I don't lose the website again) heres a link to some spacers which'll fit the MR2 hub:
http://www.freakyparts.co.uk/epages/...rsSpigot_Rings
Old 12th December 2016, 09:20

retro200 is on a distinguished road
Smile rs 200 wheels

hi nick have a look at item number 262757901473 on ebay these are what you need !!!!, mick
Old 12th December 2016, 16:13

wozzy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by retro200 View Post
hi nick have a look at item number 262757901473 on ebay these are what you need !!!!, mick
HaHa
They are for a 6 wheeler
Old 12th December 2016, 16:26

Quote:
Originally Posted by retro200 View Post
You'd at least want them polished up for that price wouldn't you?!