Are you madabout kit cars      
 "We've Got Kit Cars Covered" Information about Madabout-Kitcars.com Contact Madabout-Kitcars.com         Home of UK kit cars - madabout-kitcars.com Various kit car write ups All the latest kit car news Kit car related and general discussion

Search
Manufacturers
Kit Cars
Kit Car Data sheets
Picture Gallery
SVA Knowledgebase
Clubs & Communities
Build cost estimator
Kit cars for sale
Knowledge Base 
KitcarUSA.com
Classic-Kitcars.com

Go Back   Madabout Kitcars Forum > Mad Build Area > Tribute Automotive Builds

Tribute Automotive Builds Discuss your Tribute kit build

Old 20th May 2018, 12:08

3148markc is on a distinguished road
Default MX250 Bonnet help

Just installed the Mx250 Bonnet and I've managed to get good gapping all round and level, however when I open the bonnet it catches at the rear middle, what's the best way to rectify the issue ? I don't want to push the bonnet further down as this would leave big gaps at the top sides. Thanks
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_6773.jpg (56.7 KB, 47 views)
Available from eBay
Old 20th May 2018, 12:35

Jaguartvr is on a distinguished road

Gap is too tight and straight. You need to try and curve the line slightly by taking away material from the bonnet and building it up on the scuttle. I would remove the material from the rear of the bonnet first to get the clearance and then attempt to build it up again on the main panel to close the gap again.
Old 20th May 2018, 15:44

Drummajor is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3148markc View Post
Just installed the Mx250 Bonnet and I've managed to get good gapping all round and level, however when I open the bonnet it catches at the rear middle, what's the best way to rectify the issue ? I don't want to push the bonnet further down as this would leave big gaps at the top sides. Thanks
Get some sand paper on it and start shaping.
Is this your first home built car???

It will get better
Old 20th May 2018, 17:15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaguartvr View Post
Gap is too tight and straight. You need to try and curve the line slightly by taking away material from the bonnet and building it up on the scuttle. I would remove the material from the rear of the bonnet first to get the clearance and then attempt to build it up again on the main panel to close the gap again.
cheers. I'll take a look
Old 20th May 2018, 17:16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drummajor View Post
Get some sand paper on it and start shaping.
Is this your first home built car???

It will get better
Yes it's my first. The sanding I think will take away what looks ok when closed
Old 20th May 2018, 17:18

Going to slightly lift the brackets on the body as I think they have some play that way when opening it should be higher....hopefully lol just to now make a small mound out of filler on each side that mounds with the kit
Old 20th May 2018, 19:53

2manytoys is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3148markc View Post
Hi Mark , Can you relieve (remove some material) from the centre edge of the bonnet ? I fiddled and filled for yonks to get mine fitting and in the end settled for a compromise.
Old 20th May 2018, 22:17

Lucky@LeMans is on a distinguished road

You could look at getting some hinges that pivot further back onto the scuttle. When the bonnet is lifted it will rise away in a bigger arc and not touch, perhaps . You'll have to do some measuring.

Last edited by Lucky@LeMans; 20th May 2018 at 22:22..
Old 20th May 2018, 22:24

Lucky@LeMans is on a distinguished road

I'm thinking this style as fitted to the old Morris Oxford and still readily available.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CP-A00004D_1024x1024[1].jpg (36.1 KB, 26 views)
Old 21st May 2018, 10:16

Barber is on a distinguished road

Looks to me like the gap should be consistent from hinge to hinge, so plenty you could take out there. But LLM's solution looks a good one, and would allow maximum flexibility on how much you want to remove.
Old 21st May 2018, 21:22

lancelot link is on a distinguished road

Also take some material off like a chamfered edge , leaving the outside edge as it is but cutting back on the rear edge , so the bottom of the panel is further in ..does that make sense ?

This will keep the visually best gap you can on the outside but remove the material that is fouling immediately as you lift the panel ....one problem with opening panels on fibreglass cars is they are often thicker than their steel or ally counterparts ..therefore a slightly different approach is required ...

I have just done the chamfer trick on Ray's Formosa as it wasn't fouling , but was very close and didn't want the extra paint thickness to change anything ...

You will probably end up fettling and gapping again at the end of the build just prior to paint ..so don't get too involved in a job that might need re-doing later ...

Last edited by lancelot link; 21st May 2018 at 21:30.. Reason: added image
Old 21st May 2018, 21:44

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancelot link View Post
Also take some material off like a chamfered edge , leaving the outside edge as it is but cutting back on the rear edge , so the bottom of the panel is further in ..does that make sense ?

This will keep the visually best gap you can on the outside but remove the material that is fouling immediately as you lift the panel ....one problem with opening panels on fibreglass cars is they are often thicker than their steel or ally counterparts ..therefore a slightly different approach is required ...

I have just done the chamfer trick on Ray's Formosa as it wasn't fouling , but was very close and didn't want the extra paint thickness to change anything ...

You will probably end up fettling and gapping again at the end of the build just prior to paint ..so don't get too involved in a job that might need re-doing later ...
Good idea may also do this as like you say once there's added paint thickness it'll go back to hitting the top. Will do this and also lift the brackets slightly on the body (like little mounds moulded in)
Old 1st June 2018, 11:09

terryg is on a distinguished road
Default fuel filler cap

Hi Mark, I saw on your thread that you did a great job on your fuel filler cap. Do you have any photographs or advice on how you achieved it? What parts did you use, etc.

Appreciate your help. Regards, Terry
Old 1st June 2018, 12:23

Quote:
Originally Posted by terryg View Post
Hi Mark, I saw on your thread that you did a great job on your fuel filler cap. Do you have any photographs or advice on how you achieved it? What parts did you use, etc.

Appreciate your help. Regards, Terry
Hi Terry. I just used the original fuel pipe but cut off the connection and smoothed out the tube so that the original fuel hose went from the new cap to the fuel pipe, I then just ordered extra tubing so it reached the tank. Attached some pics for you.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_6289.jpg (82.2 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_6290.jpg (84.5 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_6315.jpg (88.7 KB, 19 views)
Old 1st June 2018, 13:20

terryg is on a distinguished road
Default fuel filler cap

Cheers Mark, that helps me get my head around it! Thanks, Terry