Are you madabout kit cars      
 "We've Got Kit Cars Covered" Information about Madabout-Kitcars.com Contact Madabout-Kitcars.com         Home of UK kit cars - madabout-kitcars.com Various kit car write ups All the latest kit car news Kit car related and general discussion

Search
Manufacturers
Kit Cars
Kit Car Data sheets
Picture Gallery
SVA Knowledgebase
Clubs & Communities
Build cost estimator
Kit cars for sale
Knowledge Base 
KitcarUSA.com
Classic-Kitcars.com

Go Back   Madabout Kitcars Forum > Mad Build Area > Marlin Sportster, Cabrio, Berlinetta and Roadster builds

Marlin Sportster, Cabrio, Berlinetta and Roadster builds Enthused or Confused about your vintage Marlin build? Ask away here or show off your build.

Old 8th January 2007, 09:31
Enthusiast

GreatOldOne is on a distinguished road
Default Handbrake Cables and Guide

Another question! :-)

I've got the new handbrake cables in place, and have them threaded through the cable guide. From the design of the guide, it's pretty obvious that it needs to be bolted to the underside of the tunnel - but I just wanted to make sure with you lot before I go mad with the drill and cut some bolt holes for it. Where did you guys position it? It seems to naturally fall in to place so that the guide is half in, half out of the tunnel.

Also, did you secure the brake cable to the arms, or leave them 'floating'? By the time the guide is bolted in place, they're not goin to be going anywhere, but I just wondered if you clipped them to the trailing arms in some way.

As for Trailing arms and such, I decided to work off some of the crimbo mince pies I ate over the past couple of days, so there's been - shock, horror - progress on the car! ;-)

Lots of pics here.
Available from eBay
Old 8th January 2007, 12:26
Enthusiast

MartinClan is on a distinguished road

Hello GreatOldOne

Getting the handbrake guide in the correct place first time can be tricky! Here is a picture of mine (from the top)

http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/martincla.../handbrake.jpg

You can see the heads of the mounting bolts towards the bottom right corner of the pic. That should give you some idea of where to position it.

The handbrake cables are clipped to the trailing arms. There should be a bracket that mounts on the same bolt as the rear anti-roll bar (as I remember).

How are you shortening your cables? I would strongly recommend the method of silver soldering. I tried the crimping method suggested by Marlin but it wasn't to reliable and the last thing you want to see is your pride and joy rolling down a hill with no one in it!

Nice drill! I have a Makita (bout three years old now) and despite all the abuse is still going strong.

Robin
Old 8th January 2007, 14:32
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartinClan View Post
The handbrake cables are clipped to the trailing arms. There should be a bracket that mounts on the same bolt as the rear anti-roll bar (as I remember).
Ah... I think I still have them - I know I've got at least one in my parts box. Not sure where the other one got to. I'll have to have a rummage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartinClan View Post
How are you shortening your cables?
I'm not sure mine need shortening - I've not got that much cable coming out of the hole in the tunnel. I'll have to get the guide bolted up and the handbrake lever on to see for sure, but if they do need shortening, I'll give you a shout for tips on silver soldering.
Old 8th January 2007, 16:50
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatOldOne View Post
I'm not sure mine need shortening - I've not got that much cable coming out of the hole in the tunnel. I'll have to get the guide bolted up and the handbrake lever on to see for sure, but if they do need shortening, I'll give you a shout for tips on silver soldering.
Ah - that's interesting. Marlin must have changed what they supply then. With the handbrake cable guide I had, you had to chop off the threaded bit of each (BMW) cable (sharp cold chisel works best) pass the cable through the guide and then put on the new end. Perhaps Marlin do this for you now - I always thought it was a bit of a dodgy operation particularly if your DIY skills weren't up to much. (Car running down the hill syndrome)

Robin
Old 8th January 2007, 20:50
Enthusiast

peterux is on a distinguished road

Hi Jason,
good to see your build progressing.

I agree with Robin comments above.

Here are pictures of my installation....

http://www.flickr.com/photos/peters-...7594142490868/

and

http://www.flickr.com/photos/peters-...7594142490868/

The white plastic clips that screw on the trailing arms can still be sourced from a BMW main dealer. Mine got me some all the way from Germany and they cost about 39pence each!

I had to shorten my own cables following Marlin's instructions. Now Robin is giving nightmares about them breaking

Peter
Old 9th January 2007, 14:37
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterux View Post
The white plastic clips that screw on the trailing arms can still be sourced from a BMW main dealer. Mine got me some all the way from Germany and they cost about 39pence each!
Thanks for the heads up, Peter - I've ordered both the plastic clips and the brackets (I couldn't be asked to paint up the rusty old ones - I'm fed up of painting! ) from my local BMW garage.

Brackets and Clips - £1.50
Not having to get the POR15 paint out again - Priceless.
Old 9th January 2007, 16:43
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterux View Post
I had to shorten my own cables following Marlin's instructions. Now Robin is giving nightmares about them breaking

Peter
Sorry... I am always a bit of a pessimist. Anyway its unlikely that both would break at the same time ;-)
Old 9th January 2007, 19:15
Enthusiast

Patrick is on a distinguished road

And there should be room in the passenger foot well for a chock or brick

I looked but I don't seem to have any shots of the Y tube thing! Doh.
Old 9th January 2007, 20:22
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
And there should be room in the passenger foot well for a chock or brick
Maybe I should carry an anchor on a chain??

Old 9th January 2007, 20:36
Enthusiast

Thanks for the pics. The next question is on hand-brake fitment. It's obvious that the forward most holes (above the slot, looking toward the firewall) are for the front mounting points on the brake lever. But that leaves the end flapping about in the air. Looking at Peter's pics, the answer is some sort of bracket. Is this a DIY bit that you have to make, or is it supposed to be supplied with the kit?
Old 9th January 2007, 21:33
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatOldOne View Post
Looking at Peter's pics, the answer is some sort of bracket. Is this a DIY bit that you have to make, or is it supposed to be supplied with the kit?
It's DIY and will be the first of many brackets you will be making!

Happy building......

Peter
Old 12th January 2007, 09:45
Enthusiast

The guide is in place, and the cables have been clipped onto the trailing arms and look a lot tidier. I've got the handbrake in place and I can confirm that the marlin supplied cables are the correct length - they don't need shortening.
Old 13th January 2007, 10:25
Kit Car Dreamer

Will5 is on a distinguished road

3x.JPG

Wow, everyone seems to be doing so well with their handbrakes, where as I am completely confused. The picture shows what came off the BMW and what Marlin sent me. My question is do I salvage the small tube/guide and if so do I have to then take the cable fittings off to thread the cable through?

If I don't slvage the tube/guide then the a spring seem totally pointless. I did try to speak to Marlin but I am no clearer.

Cheers

Will
Old 13th January 2007, 17:47
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will5 View Post
Attachment 20

Wow, everyone seems to be doing so well with their handbrakes, where as I am completely confused. The picture shows what came off the BMW and what Marlin sent me. My question is do I salvage the small tube/guide and if so do I have to then take the cable fittings off to thread the cable through?

If I don't slvage the tube/guide then the a spring seem totally pointless. I did try to speak to Marlin but I am no clearer.

Cheers

Will
If your handbrake cable is not already assembled (IE supplied with cable threaded thru the Marlin Y tube) you have to schop the ends of the BMW cables, thread the cables thu the Y tube and add new end with the cable cut to the correct length. Pictures on my website! http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/martinclan/pictures1.htm

Cheers

Robin
Old 13th January 2007, 21:34
Kit Car Dreamer

Thanks Robin,

I think my problems are at the other end of the cables. My cables can be fitted on thru the 'Y' tube. I seem to have problems attaching photos I will try again.

3x.JPG

Cheers

Will
Old 13th January 2007, 21:44
Enthusiast

Patrick is on a distinguished road

Will - you need to wait for a mod to approve the picture before we can see it
Old 13th January 2007, 21:50
Kit Car Dreamer

Thanks Patrick, that explains it.