Are you madabout kit cars      
 "We've Got Kit Cars Covered" Information about Madabout-Kitcars.com Contact Madabout-Kitcars.com         Home of UK kit cars - madabout-kitcars.com Various kit car write ups All the latest kit car news Kit car related and general discussion

Search
Manufacturers
Kit Cars
Kit Car Data sheets
Picture Gallery
SVA Knowledgebase
Clubs & Communities
Build cost estimator
Kit cars for sale
Knowledge Base 
KitcarUSA.com
Classic-Kitcars.com

Go Back   Madabout Kitcars Forum > Mad Build Area > Marlin Sportster, Cabrio, Berlinetta and Roadster builds

Marlin Sportster, Cabrio, Berlinetta and Roadster builds Enthused or Confused about your vintage Marlin build? Ask away here or show off your build.

Old 27th July 2013, 06:45
Enthusiast

peterux is on a distinguished road

Hi Nigel,

I didn't use the stalk switch so I don't know, but i'm wondering if the BMW stalk switches to 'ground' rather than to B+ ? I think your wiper motor connections theory looks right to me.

...peter
Old 27th July 2013, 10:06

NigelB is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterux View Post
Hi Nigel,

I didn't use the stalk switch so I don't know, but i'm wondering if the BMW stalk switches to 'ground' rather than to B+ ? I think your wiper motor connections theory looks right to me.

...peter
Hi Peter,

You're back!! I haven't seen you on here for a while. Good to hear from you.

I built up my loom as I went along so I know I am switching +12v through to the 1st and 2nd speed terminals and the fact that they work independently indicates that I'm not picking up an earth there.

One thing I thought about this morning (and I know it shouldn't make any difference) is that the 12v on pin 4 and the switched 12v to pins 3 or 5 are both from the same fused supply. I'll try using separate supplies and see what happens............................

Nigel
Old 31st July 2013, 20:49
Enthusiast

MartinClan is on a distinguished road

It's too long ago to remember much detail but I think my original explanation was correct. All the park circuit does is apply power to the slow speed connection, as the wiper switch does, except it only applies it till the park position is reached. From you explanation it sounds like somehow you are shorting to ground using the park circuit.

I used the standard bmw loom complete with wiper relay which simplified things a bit.

Cheers, Robin
Old 31st July 2013, 21:32

NigelB is on a distinguished road

Hi Robin,

That's exactly what I am doing.

But I have drawn out the wiring diagram from the supply via the switch to the motor (using your diagram) and I can't work out where the earth is coming from.

It's interesting that you mention the standard loom and a "wiper relay". I found this circuit www.Vitessesteve.co.uk and have wired up my wipers the same way and now they works just fine..................

wiperdiagram by MarlinBuild, on Flickr

It's a simple change over relay that isolates the wiper supply voltage from the park supply. It works, but for me, it still leaves the question Why??

But being pragmatic, it works, so forget it.............................!!

Last edited by NigelB; 31st July 2013 at 21:42..