Are you madabout kit cars      
 "We've Got Kit Cars Covered" Information about Madabout-Kitcars.com Contact Madabout-Kitcars.com         Home of UK kit cars - madabout-kitcars.com Various kit car write ups All the latest kit car news Kit car related and general discussion

Search
Manufacturers
Kit Cars
Kit Car Data sheets
Picture Gallery
SVA Knowledgebase
Clubs & Communities
Build cost estimator
Kit cars for sale
Knowledge Base 
KitcarUSA.com
Classic-Kitcars.com

Go Back   Madabout Kitcars Forum > Mad Build Area > Tribute Automotive Builds

Tribute Automotive Builds Discuss your Tribute kit build

Old 27th November 2014, 09:12

davecymru is on a distinguished road

Cheers matey, for that price i'm going to pick one up just to play with it!
Old 27th November 2014, 09:18

Scottie22 is on a distinguished road

That's exactly what I did Dave! But was so impressed I bought another one to play with.
Like you say at that price, its a throw away item and you can't go wrong.
Old 27th November 2014, 09:23

Oh, one last thing, if you don't have a spare battery to power it for playing with, I used the power supply I borrowed from one of my spare pc screens, it was 250v/ 12 dc at 5 amps

It takes 3 amps to run the amplifier, anything less amp wise, and at higher volumes it will distort badly as there won't be enough current to power it correctly.
Old 27th November 2014, 09:42

davecymru is on a distinguished road

I should have one of those Maplin multi-voltage, multi-plug mains adapters "somewhere".

Although i am annoyed that this has reminded me about that DealXtreme web site! As there is just _so_ much stuff on there that i didn't know i couldn't live without...

Last edited by davecymru; 28th November 2014 at 07:53..
Old 28th November 2014, 06:01

Dave, I'm not going to forgive you for this, but I resisted the urge to visit that website for 24 hrs, I broke down this morning and had a peek!

Bloody hell, I found that I need about 90 per cent of the stuff they are selling DESPERATELY!

So, for all the gadget freaks out there who cannot resist the urge, take a look at this

http://www.dx.com/
Old 29th November 2014, 10:25

landmannnn is on a distinguished road

Hey Scottie, I see this Subaru van has had the veedub treatment, thought it might be of interest

Old 29th November 2014, 13:56

Thanks Landmannnn, hopefully mine'll look a bit like that when its done!
Some of the earlier vans like that had 600cc engines, then they upped them to 998cc, but mine has a 1300 water cooled lump.
I guess the 600cc ones must have been air cooled, as I don't see any holes in the front panel for airflow.
Old 29th November 2014, 20:30

Yep, it is a 660, saw it for sale for £6k!
Old 29th November 2014, 21:02

At 1300cc mine is hardly in the Aston Martin camp, but at 660cc it must howl along like a wounded snail!
6 grand!
Old 30th November 2014, 15:03

I took advantage of the sunny weather today and put more blue paint on one of my other projects, my micro-van VW front panel.

Not a brilliant picture, but it does show that the panel is blue, and not the horrid pink and white which is how it came to me:

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 2nd December 2014, 15:06

Default Wednesday

Today I trial fitted for the first time, the dash after having completed the
support frame.

Unfortunately, the speedo was fouled by another support bracket I had modified earlier. Back to the drawing board.

To be really honest I shoved the dash forwards, and snapped off one of the spade connectors on the rear of the speedo. Thankfully, it was a "twin" and only one side is used, so I got away with it this time!

I re-worked the frame and made a 2 inch tube spacer to keep it behind the speedo more.

With each thing I do behind the dash now, seems to reduce the amount of space available, which was tight to start with, but it really is getting very cramped now. I think I will have to lengthen some of the wires feeding the instruments as I can now see that they will no longer be long enough to reach their new positions

So much still to do, and so little time it seems.

Here are a couple of pics, the second one is a bit blurry, but I was so cold having been out in the tent for so long, I could not face going back just for a better pic!

But it does show the difference:

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 3rd December 2014, 20:47

I managed to get a little work done on the car today, and like the super market says "every little helps"
I soldered some extra cable onto one of the gauges, and started on the other one too.

Once done the gauges will then reach the new position on the dash.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 8th December 2014, 08:44

Default Monday

I have not updated for a few days, and feel perhaps I should.

I have done lots of small jobs on the car, but because they are small jobs, I have taken no pics, so didn't think it was worth posting.

I have found some Jag switches, which I will need for various things, and checked out their workabilty, soldered ends on with connectors, (because I can do this in the WARM house!!) Also with long leads and connectors it will make the job of finally doing all the dash connections a lot easier.

Drilled holes in the dash to fit them, tidied up some of the spaghetti under the dash, etc, etc.

Doesn't sound like much, but all takes lots of time as its fiddly stuff to do.

Also, I must have spent a day or two helping a friend who was told his central heating boiler was completely buggered, and he would need a new one at a cost of £2500.

The boiler was producing hot water, but no radiators would work.

He got a second opinion plumber, who told him it could be fixed for £2000.

I asked a mate of mine to have a look at it, and finally, I sourced a new divertor valve on line at at 80 quid, and he an I spent 6 hours yesterday fitting it etc, and now the house is red hot, and the radiators are so hot they hurt the hand when touched.

It really pays to persist, and I have a talent for that.

two and a half grand my arse.

We were so busy, we took no pictures of that either!

I will try and buck up on the picture front!

Scottie
Old 8th December 2014, 10:18

Danny_HUFC is on a distinguished road

Well done on the boiler front Scottie, If someone tells you that something is broken, remember always ask them what part of it is broken. If they cant answer you that, send them on their way!
Old 8th December 2014, 10:38

You have it exactly Danny, I always ask that!

If the plumber was given a truth serum, he would have said:

"well, I don't really know what's wrong with it, but I can see an opportunity to make a lot of money here out of a gullible tw*t like you"

Last edited by Scottie22; 8th December 2014 at 10:42..
Old 8th December 2014, 15:29

oxford1360 is on a distinguished road

I had a similar thing with my phone. I cracked the screen. O2's two suggestions were 1) upgrade (£300), or 2) buy a secondhand one on eBay, "but it will probably be stolen," their words, not mine. They made it clear that there really was no point in having it repaired even though it was only three months old. Well, I bought a new screen for £70 and (with not much to lose) I took apart the phone and fitted it (with the help of lots of YouTube clips). I now have a working phone and a sense of satisfaction.
Old 8th December 2014, 19:18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottie22 View Post
I have not updated for a few days, and feel perhaps I should.

Also, I must have spent a day or two helping a friend who was told his central heating boiler was completely buggered, and he would need a new one at a cost of £2500.

The boiler was producing hot water, but no radiators would work.

He got a second opinion plumber, who told him it could be fixed for £2000.

I asked a mate of mine to have a look at it, and finally, I sourced a new divertor valve on line at at 80 quid, and he an I spent 6 hours yesterday fitting it etc, and now

Scottie
Absolutely classic symptoms of diverter valve. Actually it is normally just the £8 motor needing replacement
A normal condensing boiler is £600, £1700 is a reasonable fitted price.
Well done, you seemed to have overcome the rip off plumbers in your area!
Old 15th December 2014, 14:54

Default Monday

It seems like an age since I worked on the car, but I have not been sat on my bum. I needed to repair my conservatory roof as when it rained , I noticed a puddle on the floor, shock horror, and all that.

It stopped raining and I was up there with a heat gun to dry it out quick, the repair took a fair while, and in my heart I know the roof needs replacing, but really not at this time of the year!

The minute I stopped working and cleared away the tools, the rain started again, but I was able to give it two fingers, as the roof is now water tight.

Also, I have been playing the lumber jack again, and cut a fair amount of timber.
So much that I am having to really plan out where to stack it so it does not get in the way.

I am hoping to start back on the car shortly, in between Christmas cards and all that festive (commercial) rubbish!

Here are some pics:

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Old 15th December 2014, 15:02

This picture has been on before, but its my favourite, so here goes again:

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 16th December 2014, 11:59

Default Tuesday

Well, I finally got out to the car and took the drivers door off yet again for sorting out.

When fitted the door, I honestly spent hours and hours, which ran into days, trying to get the door to fit right.

This has nothing to do with Chris's body shell or anything like that.
It has everything to do with me lowering the car way way down, and then getting hit by all the knock-on effects that generated.

The hinges were really out after lowering, I don't mean lowering on the suspension, that came later, but lowering the body shell onto the Spitfire tub.

I knew I could never get the car down where I wanted it by just suspension lowering, so the only other way was to dump the body lower and closer to the Spit tub, ( more than Chris had intended)

So that's what I did, but the knock-on effects which I had not forseen were horrific. and caused me several days of extra work.

Modifying the hinge brackets, the hinges themselves (three times!) the list goes on.

And the list is still bloody going on, hence all the door fitting and extra mods
that I am still doing and will continue to do until I get what I want.

Lots of you out there must have been in the position, where you look at something on your build and think "yeah, I can live with that" but really, deep down inside you have that horrid niggly feeling that you really can't live with it, and you are kidding yourself, and worst still, you know that one day, you will have to bite the bullet, and do it properly!

That sort of day comes to me quite a lot, and it came this morning with regard to the door fit. I knew I just had to sort it out.

Over on the "other side" Paul has just had one of those days and chopped his bonnet in half!! So I know, he knows what I mean.

I've been busy, and its lunchtime already, so here are some explanatory pics
to be getting on with, more after lunch

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]