Are you madabout kit cars      
 "We've Got Kit Cars Covered" Information about Madabout-Kitcars.com Contact Madabout-Kitcars.com         Home of UK kit cars - madabout-kitcars.com Various kit car write ups All the latest kit car news Kit car related and general discussion

Search
Manufacturers
Kit Cars
Kit Car Data sheets
Picture Gallery
SVA Knowledgebase
Clubs & Communities
Build cost estimator
Kit cars for sale
Knowledge Base 
KitcarUSA.com
Classic-Kitcars.com

Go Back   Madabout Kitcars Forum > Mad Build Area > Tribute Automotive Builds

Tribute Automotive Builds Discuss your Tribute kit build

Old 26th December 2016, 20:47

Badrep is on a distinguished road
Default Project BadRep - Another MRS200 build

I realsied I was hijacking some threads, and that we all bought the kits as Andy sold the molds, so I'm starting a new thread as one of the four!

I've also got a thread on Retro Rides too which I'll be filling in - link here

Like the others, I've only just started, and it's also my first Kit Car. I've got a TINY garage and am planning an engine transplant of a Volvo T5 engine that I've been building for a while.

The RR thread is a few pages in, so I'll start this thread by summarising what we have on there.

The New Project:

So I'm taking an MR2 chassis, sticking a (approx) 400bhp Volvo T5 engine in and sticking a group B Ford RS200 - a kit called an MRS200. I looked at a load of different options for kit, but either too expensive, too hard to find, or just not quite right. Anyway - I've ended up with this one and there's, no going back.

If you haven't seen them yet, this is one of the completed kits

It's going to be different though.

It's getting a Volvo T5 engine with bucket loads of torque and bhp..... and it's getting Bagged. It's a rare car that has a double win from air-ride as you get the awesome look then its aired out on the ground, and raised up you get the stiffness and firmer ride for handling and you get that badass group B rally look too. in theory anyway.

Here's the target:

Not Strictly pre mid 90's as it's a replica with a later MR2 chassis, but it's in the spirit as I'm sure you'll agree.

The engine was going into another project but that one sadly died a death, however I did end up with a large number of performance parts that need to go in something. I am FULLY aware that there are more suitbale engines, and also fully aware that there are better turbos that spool faster, but it's what I have and more importantly what I want to put in there, even if it does work out harder, more expensive etc. I've been collecting those parts for years and are a little connected to them.

They include:

2006 V70 2.4 T5 engine, with 2.3 ported and flowed head (was going to on into an 2002 V70 sleeper so needed single VVT)
Lightened pulleys
Single Mass flywheel
S60R clutch
Quaiffe LSD
6 speed M66 box
Hahn Racecraft Super 20G turbo (a Mitsubishi TD05/06 hybrid)
650cc Bosch Injectors

ECU is likely to be an Emerald K6

I'll put a cage in there if I can too.

Here's the engine:

bottom end is the stronger 2.4 T5 and the head is a 2.3 T5 with single VVT but has been ported and flowed nicely- it was going to go into a 2002 V70 as a sleeper, but that project went tits up sadly.

he turbo is a Hahn Racecraft super 20g, which is a blend of a Mitsibushi TD05 and a TD06. Popular in the states as it is high flow, relatively fast spool and affordable. This might change if I get some spare cash as I know it's not perfect, but I have it and its massive.

To put it a bit on the wild side, It's getting air ride too - I think with a rally car you end up with the best of both worlds - air it down and you get that cool look, but raise it up and you get the stiffness for better handling without looking silly. The kit I'm looking at is fully adustable - damping, ride height (threaded) and ride height (air) so you can adjust accordingly and balance weights too

It's going to be a challenge, for a few reasons - that engine will be a real b@$tard to get in there. Nothing about it will be easy. I also have a tiny garage, although I've just plumbed airlines all through it and it's got a lot of power, but it's small. I'm planning to strip the body off the Mr2 this week (just started today) and then rest the body over the car whilst I do the engine transplant.

I've also never done an engine transplant, so help me God.

I do have the luxury of owning a relatively large 3D printing company - so will be aiming to make a few parts there if I can. The big one being the intake manifold if I can't get the standard Volvo one in the Mr2.

Anyway, here is the first few pics of the project:

As you can see, not much in the way of space.

Here is the first bits removed

And it's here!

This is the biggest thing I've ever had delivered

Had to go on backwards so I can still get to the engine bay!

Chocking and spacing panels to avoid damage

As you can see, there's still not much space, however everything is on the front end, so I can work 'unrestricted' on the engine change.

This is the most visually exciting post you'll see for a while - the next move is the engine change, so you won't really see the car looking like an RS2000 for months.

As you can see - all is very early stages and there are a lot of challenges, but I'm ready and I'm sure there'll be a lot of helpful advice from both here and the Retro Rides forum!
Available from eBay
Old 26th December 2016, 21:48

Paul L is on a distinguished road

Badrep - Welcome to forum.

Sounds like you will have an interesting build.

I've added this build to the MRS200 section of the useful links thread.

I am sure it will be a help having a few of you all building at the same time.

Good luck, Paul.
Old 26th December 2016, 21:51

Thanks Paul - and it was an honour to be your 3,500th post!
Old 26th December 2016, 21:53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badrep View Post
... are there any build threads for a completed mrs200 build...
PS
Forgot to add that there isn't a completed build thread on this forum.
Old 26th December 2016, 22:00

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul L View Post
PS
Forgot to add that there isn't a completed build thread on this forum.
I was beginning to come to the same conclusion!
Old 26th December 2016, 22:28

Nostromo is on a distinguished road

Hi Badrep, I was the fifth to last kit I believe. Great to have another build thread for the MRS200! Like buses! Welcome to the fold

Really looking forward to seeing your engine build come together. Can I ask wherabouts you're from? Be great to find someone near me building one too!
Old 26th December 2016, 22:37

Hi Nostromo,

I'm located in north London - Walthamstow. Where are you? There's never anyone in London doing car things!
Old 26th December 2016, 23:38

obr is on a distinguished road

This sounds great, good luck with the build.

I'd be interested to see your inlet manifold if you end up priting one!
Old 26th December 2016, 23:43

Nostromo is on a distinguished road

I'm a bit further south unfortunately, Crawley. I was up in Romford earlier today as the wife's family are all over your way. You're right though, there's not many people this far south either. Pretty sure you're the closest :thumbsup:
Old 27th December 2016, 09:29

Redandy is on a distinguished road

that's a project! I knew you were doing an engine swap, but a Volvo?!?! that's ballsy!

I know nothing of engine swaps, but I do know the MR2 needs its own ECU for the dashboard and other electonicalistical things so my V6 has an ECU that is spliced into the MR2 one (how? why? what exactly does it do? . )

...so if you dont want to splice stuff, I suggest doing away with the dashboard and electronics and installing all new dials/one of those electronic jobbies. I ASSUME that that woudl be easier, but what do I know?!

apart from that I can only advise : "good luck!"
Old 27th December 2016, 09:46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nostromo View Post
I'm a bit further south unfortunately, Crawley.
That's closer than I thought you'd be!

Redany - correct - I'm using the mr2 more as a chassis to work from - most of the electrical items are going so digital dash, and cowboy other parts!
Old 27th December 2016, 18:22

SwiftyDS is on a distinguished road

I'm in Swindon (Wilts). I know one of the other builders from the last batch of kits (Luke) is in Telford and he's been posting updates of his build on the RS200 Replicas Facebook group.

I've yet to come across a completed build thread myself but there are lots of useful hints and tips including pictures on Andy's MRS200 Facebook page if you also look at the visitor posts. The new owner of Andy's original V6 prototype has also posted updates he's done of the rear clam (now opens as per original cars) and he's fashioned a bulkhead with screen and frame after he broke the rear screen in his hardtop.
Old 28th December 2016, 08:55

BadRep - Although I am not building a Tribute, I am just around the A406 from you, near Wembley.

I also had a quick look at your RetroRides thread, so belated congratulations on your recent wedding and your 1800ES looks great.

Good luck, Paul.
Old 1st January 2017, 17:09

luked2189 is on a distinguished road

how are you guys getting on with your doors and sills?
Old 16th January 2017, 19:58

Quote:
Originally Posted by luked2189 View Post
how are you guys getting on with your doors and sills?
No way near yet! I'm doing the engine change and roll cage before any panels go on!
Old 16th January 2017, 20:05

Update:

The panels are off, the engine is out:

Some chassis cutting was required to get the gearbox in:

and the engine squeezed in with about 5 mil spare!

Looks snug as a bug in a rug

Got a lot of work to do building all the engine brackets next so I can really secure it in there!
Old 17th January 2017, 14:29

WorldClassAccident is on a distinguished road

Looks tight!

Good luck with pouring the oil in the top
Old 22nd January 2017, 22:38

Stripped the interior completely this weekend and the roll cage ordered.

It's finally losing it's hairdresser vibe and coming a bit more racecar.

Which is awesome.

This curved edge really annoys me. Need more square..... need more 80's!

However, I'm a big fan of the steel bar that is behind the dash normally - looks rough and raw. I'm going to make a feature of it with the dash I think.

The roll cage is ordered now from custom cages - it'll be about 3 weeks until I get it. I'm basically not going to sleep until I have that cage in my arms.

In other news, I'm awaiting mounts for the engine to be sent from a very nice Volvo expert from another forum so I've not got anywhere with mounting the T5 since the last one. I have however made some choices to swith to the 850 intake manifold rather than the V70/S60 one that I have now. I've been told that there is almost zero in them in terms of performace difference and the 850 one curves downward creating a bit of space between the cockpit wall at the top - the V70 one sticks quite far forward and clashes a little with the firewall.

I'm going to start assembling all parts of the engine before I completely mount it - I'm getting more and more worried about ancillaries clashing with the chassis/body.
Old 21st February 2017, 13:43

Here's a little update:

Engine - still waiting on some parts before I properly locate the mounts.

Roll Cage - here! Did a test fit - needs some trimming to fit so will crack on with that next - I live in a very residential area and the trimming is very loud so I've restricted myself to weekends only for this.... wish I had more time!

The cage arrived on Valentines day - the wife was furious when she found out it wasn't a gift for her!

The first test - it needs to come down about 10cm first - this is part of the build order for the kit so will all fit together when in.

Old 27th February 2017, 13:56

Did some further cage fitting - only ducktaped in at the moment, but need to get it all aligned before tacking and welding. Still a lot more to do!