Are you madabout kit cars      
 "We've Got Kit Cars Covered" Information about Madabout-Kitcars.com Contact Madabout-Kitcars.com         Home of UK kit cars - madabout-kitcars.com Various kit car write ups All the latest kit car news Kit car related and general discussion

Search
Manufacturers
Kit Cars
Kit Car Data sheets
Picture Gallery
SVA Knowledgebase
Clubs & Communities
Build cost estimator
Kit cars for sale
Knowledge Base 
KitcarUSA.com
Classic-Kitcars.com

Go Back   Madabout Kitcars Forum > Mad Build Area > Sammio Builds and discussions

Sammio Builds and discussions Sammio bodied car builds and specials

Old 27th May 2012, 07:05

davecymru is on a distinguished road

Adjustable seats! Ohhh get you!
Old 27th May 2012, 07:19

tlrtone is on a distinguished road

Have you tried your body on with the seat belts fitted? The inertia reel may be a little high and hit the body.

Like the moving seatbelt bit though. Since my seats don't move, I can't nick that idea!
Old 27th May 2012, 08:14

Mister Towed is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by davecymru View Post
Adjustable seats! Ohhh get you!
Wife says she wants to be able to drive it...

I'm guessing that'll only happen the once and she'll come back all pale and flustered, but I thought I'd make the effort anyway. It's also the only way to access the luggage bay as I didn't want the much taller tilting mechanism raising the seats up too far. It could help if I get a shortarsejobsworth MOT tester who can't see over the dashboard with the seat all the way back too.

The seats are a perfect fit for the Sammio shell and give a very laid back driving position. You can get an idea of just how reclined they are if you look how far forward the runners are bolted. I'd recommend this type of seat over a bench seat or more upright arrangement though as it's both comfortable, and means there'll be a lot less of me sticking out of the cockpit and spoiling the aerodynamics.

As for the seat belt reels, yes, I'm expecting them to foul the bodywork. I'm going to trial fit the body again in a day or so and see how bad the issue is - if it's only a couple of cm's then I'll probably add over the shoulder 'power' bulges to give clearance above. If that's not practicable then plan 'b' is to move the reels down to the lower mounting points that I've welded on beside the seats and attach the fixed end of the belt to the mounting at the top of the frame. I tried that set up yesterday and it works fine (the reels are any angle adjustable), although it does give the effect of a static shoulder belt, making it impossible to lean forwards at junctions.

I've also found a suitable handbrake that I think could be adapted for my needs. It's a bit modern but should be stronger than the ancient Minor one and I'm sure I can make it look more period with a little thought.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3307353169...84.m1423.l2649
Old 27th May 2012, 16:01

Patton is on a distinguished road

I'm using a 106 H/brake but found the lever only just had enough travel to pull the brakes on passed the MOT but turned up as an advisory will mod before the next MOT, Pat
Old 27th May 2012, 16:42

Cheers Pat, I did look at a couple of Peugeot handbrake levers myself. The problem seems to be the original Triumph handbrake was pi$$ poor in the first place.

Short video of 'putting the moon rover to bed' below with any luck. Wish I had a private drive like Phil J's though...

Old 27th May 2012, 16:52

cbjroms is on a distinguished road

Mr T,

I am using a TR7 handbrake which just has a centre-pull very like the Herald. Its base looks ideal for bolting through and it only cost me £5 on Ebay!

tr7brake.jpg

By the way, I borrowed your idea for a radiator - brand new Honda Civic off Ebay for £17.50.

Chris
Old 27th May 2012, 17:21

mulberry is on a distinguished road

hope your RAD came with cap??

my honda cap off ebay didnt fit, and was a nasty piece from china..
Old 27th May 2012, 18:36

TR7 handbrake lever looks suitable, I was looking for something similar with a single, central cable connection. Early mini ones looked like a possible candidate but from memory, they were a bit flimsy. I'm hoping the VW Polo one will be a bit more solidly made.

The verdict on my Honda radiator idea is so far so good. I haven't had the chance to take it out for a proper run yet but I left it idling in the blazing heat for half an hour yesterday and it kept the temperature gauge in the mid range with the electric fan running. There were a few teething troubles on first run up to temperature - the Honda radiator cap had steam bubbling out from under it shortly followed by more steam from the Triumph one on the in-line filler, but that seems to have been them just bedding in as they haven't done it again. Plan B is that I made my shroud big enough to take one of the Civic alloy racing radiators if it does overheat.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HONDA-CIVI...item519f7efb05

Cool.
Old 27th May 2012, 18:58

Straight Sixer is on a distinguished road

Don't think this will affect your plan MrT, but I've just mended a Polo handbrake that the owner had yanked up so hard, it tore the spot welds out of the floor. I've seen it done on a Mini 1000 too. As I say, it was the spot welds that failed, the actual handbrake was ok.

Keep it up, all good ideas will be greatfully stolen

Len.
Old 27th May 2012, 19:07

Quote:
Originally Posted by Straight Sixer View Post
Don't think this will affect your plan MrT, but I've just mended a Polo handbrake that the owner had yanked up so hard, it tore the spot welds out of the floor. I've seen it done on a Mini 1000 too. As I say, it was the spot welds that failed, the actual handbrake was ok.

Keep it up, all good ideas will be greatfully stolen

Len.
Cheers Len, feel free to use/modify ideas as necessary. My handbrake will be fixed to brackets welded to a bit of box section metal bolted to the main chassis. On my mk2 handbrake the mounting remained solid while the Moggy lever twisted like it was made of tinfoil Looking forward to having a parking brake that just works. Perhaps a trip to the Honda parts bin will be in order if the polo one fails.
Old 31st May 2012, 12:59

Working handbrake fitted at last!

Old 1st June 2012, 07:02

Straight Sixer is on a distinguished road

Are you going to tuck the label under the seat cushion so it doesn't show?
Old 1st June 2012, 08:29

Hmm, I think I need to speak to my trimmer about that. Those seat covers cost me £600!
Old 2nd June 2012, 15:04

Complete rethink on the seat belt front today: decided I didn't want to add humps over the reels or mount them in the 'doors' which would've given me the effect of static shoulder belts. As I wanted to be able to lean forwards I decided the easiest option was to go with inboard belts mounted similarly to Dave Cymru's.

Both ends of the lap belt mount to the bolts on top of the seat runners so they move back and forth with the seats meaning anyone should find it easy to put them on.

Slowly but surely I'm inching my way towards being ready to fit the body. I can't wait.
Old 2nd June 2012, 16:52

froggyman is on a distinguished road

That last shot should carry a prior warning as its a bit scary scrolling down to it!!!!
Old 2nd June 2012, 17:30

davecymru is on a distinguished road

Signs of a Sammio builder - "pencil behind ear"!
I came in from the garage one evening and had been watching tv with the wife for an hour before she finally started laughing and told me that i still had one behind the ear and she wanted to see how long it would be before i noticed
Old 5th June 2012, 17:40

Spent today tidying up a few loose ends prior to bonding the body on tomorrow (hopefully!). Fitted the tank for the water/methanol injection system, boxed in the gap above the new central seat belt mounts and cut the hole for the fuel filler neck to fit through.

Then spent ten minutes trial fitting the lights and number plates with sticky tape -

As you can see, it's a bit of a departure from the usual bee hive lenses. The red ovals are reflectors, the white ones are indicators (actually intended as side repeaters) and for safety reasons there are twin rows of led's either side of the number plate light to give much brighter illumination of the brakes and rear marker lights than with conventional bulbs. I'm quite pleased with the look.
Old 5th June 2012, 21:03

seanick is on a distinguished road

Just a thought, how about a single (race car stylee ) single brake light frenched into the hump? Could those led brake lights go right under the rear valance? I like the indicators.

Last edited by seanick; 5th June 2012 at 21:09..
Old 5th June 2012, 21:34

Quote:
Originally Posted by seanick View Post
Just a thought, how about a single (race car stylee ) single brake light frenched into the hump? Could those led brake lights go right under the rear valance? I like the indicators.
I'd considered a single brake light as that's all the law requires believe it or not. I'd also thought about putting the led lights down very low on the rear valance, but the requirement is for the brake light(s) to be at least 350mm from the ground. There's no minimum for the rear marker lights though, but they need to be a maximum of 800mm inboard. The rear lights are still a bit of a work in progress at the moment and I can see from the picture that I need to do a bit of work tomorrow to level the rear valance before committing to the final positions.
Old 5th June 2012, 21:42

Paul L is on a distinguished road

Mister T - I can't wait to add your final layout to the thread on rear lighting I started.

I think the way the indicators and reflectors match is a nice touch.

Will the out riggers "falling off" influence the final positions?

Good luck with the body bonding, you are on the home straight now.

Cheers, Paul.