Are you madabout kit cars      
 "We've Got Kit Cars Covered" Information about Madabout-Kitcars.com Contact Madabout-Kitcars.com         Home of UK kit cars - madabout-kitcars.com Various kit car write ups All the latest kit car news Kit car related and general discussion

Search
Manufacturers
Kit Cars
Kit Car Data sheets
Picture Gallery
SVA Knowledgebase
Clubs & Communities
Build cost estimator
Kit cars for sale
Knowledge Base 
KitcarUSA.com
Classic-Kitcars.com

Go Back   Madabout Kitcars Forum > Mad Build Area > Sammio Builds and discussions

Sammio Builds and discussions Sammio bodied car builds and specials

Old 2nd September 2012, 19:06

Mister Towed is on a distinguished road

I'll be finishing the tidying up of the bulkhead tomorrow, and there are a few loose ends I need to address. Then I need to speak to the chap at Peterborough DVLA to arrange my rebody inspection....
Old 3rd September 2012, 12:43

adam1979 is on a distinguished road

...I'd be interested to know how you get on the DVLA at Peterborough as its probably where I would go with mine (I'm in Northampton). Fingers crossed they are happy to see unfinished cars.
Old 3rd September 2012, 17:30

Quote:
Originally Posted by adam1979 View Post
...I'd be interested to know how you get on the DVLA at Peterborough as its probably where I would go with mine (I'm in Northampton). Fingers crossed they are happy to see unfinished cars.
I left a message on his mobile first thing this morning but haven't received a reply yet

I know he knows the ropes though as Phil9 has put both his through Peterborough with no problems.
Old 3rd September 2012, 18:43

A little more progress today and what a lovely sunny day it was too. I got some more of the front bulkhead tidying done and then turned my attention to the rear light arrangement while the bonding paste dries. I had put an led strip above the number plate light but decided it just looked too modern. So, I've sourced a motorcycle rear light (£8.99 from ebay) which now takes on the functions of brake light, number plate light and supplementary rear light -

I'm much happier with the look now and I'll fill the redundant oblong hole above it tomorrow.
Old 3rd September 2012, 20:07

garyh is on a distinguished road

Its coming on very well T, did you have to fill around the outriggers?
Old 3rd September 2012, 20:52

Quote:
Originally Posted by garyh View Post
Its coming on very well T, did you have to fill around the outriggers?
Yes, I made a complete mess of the body around the outriggers while I was fitting the body, cutting far too much off on both sides. I've done a basic repair with stainless steel mesh and body filler, but I reckon I need to reinforce it with fibreglass once I've cut the boot outriggers off.
Old 4th September 2012, 08:46

MoriniMan is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by adam1979 View Post
Does the Northampton DVLA have a poor reputation for re-bodying inspections?

I used Boreham Wood when registering a motorcycle and don't want to go there again. The actual service was helpful and friendly, even if I did have to teach their vehicle inspector about the difference between Italian frame numbers and type approval numbers (something they've only been getting wrong for about 30 years). The site access is a nightmare though as they're next to the driving test centre and trying to drive in with a trailer whilst nervous learner drivers are trying to get out is not fun!
Old 4th September 2012, 09:00

Hmm, having received no reply after leaving a voicemail message and sending an email directly to the Peterborough vehicle inspection officer I phoned DVLA at Swansea this morning.

A call taker called Mark explained that it's not up to me to request a rebody inspection, but it's up to DVLA to decide if I need one. He's sending me a paperwork pack to fill in and return to Swansea, and they'll then let me know if I need it inspecting at all, depending on the number of points it scores for original parts used.

This is all new to me, I don't think anyone else has hit this particular barrier, although it does open up the possibility of getting the V5 changed by post, which will save me having to tow my pride and joy through the Peterborough rush hour traffic.

I'll keep you posted, but there's the inevitable possibility of indefinite DVLA delays...
Old 4th September 2012, 09:38

Now that would be the icing on the cake...
Old 4th September 2012, 09:41

oxford1360 is on a distinguished road

But will they let you specify a new name if it doesn't require an inspection? I can imagine it becoming -
Make: Triumph
Model: Four-wheeled road-going re-bodied open saloon
Old 4th September 2012, 09:51

I'd be happy with that as it would save a lot of hassle.
Old 4th September 2012, 10:21

Nike55 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by oxford1360 View Post
But will they let you specify a new name if it doesn't require an inspection? I can imagine it becoming -
Make: Triumph
Model: Four-wheeled road-going re-bodied open saloon
- For all legal purposes that would be technically correct, wouldn't it?

Pardon my ignorance, but I'm not sure why you would need a name change - out of respect for the designer? I'm not sure I understand.
Old 4th September 2012, 10:23

Hold your horses 'pokes. Just took a call from the nice chap at Peterborough DVLA office - don't speak to Swansea, he says, they don't know how to deal with this type of enquiry. Inspection is now booked for next Tuesday. He could have done it this Thursday but I'm working.

So, one week to bite my nails down to the quick...
Old 4th September 2012, 10:26

oxford1360 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nike55 View Post
- For all legal purposes that would be technically correct, wouldn't it?

Pardon my ignorance, but I'm not sure why you would need a name change - out of respect for the designer? I'm not sure I understand.
I may be wrong, but I am under the impression that following a successful inspection, you can choose what goes on the registration document. Many opt for "Sammio".
Old 4th September 2012, 12:13

Nike55 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by oxford1360 View Post
I may be wrong, but I am under the impression that following a successful inspection, you can choose what goes on the registration document. Many opt for "Sammio".
OK, thanks for that.

Good luck with the inspection Mr T.
Old 5th September 2012, 17:54

In preparation for next Tuesday's journey to Peterborough I thought it would be a good idea to have my pride and joy insured, just in case someone drives into it during the trip, which, Sod's law says will happen if I don't insure it.

Quite a few people on this forum have recommended 'A Plan' insurance so I contacted them first. What I got was first class, friendly and knowledgeable service from their consultant, Claire, who called me back within five minutes with a quote for my required insurance as follows:

Comprehensive cover; agreed value; self and spouse to drive; 3,000 miles per year; £100 excess; and 90 days European cover included for an annual premium of...

£99.42p!

I was impressed enough with the service and the quote not to bother shopping around and paid up on the spot.

So, my Spyder is now insured (well, it will be from Monday next week), and it's getting scarily close to the day when I'll actually be able to drive it on the road. I'm really looking forward to that in an extreme sports, adrenalin junky sort of way. Scary.
Old 6th September 2012, 05:55

Psycho pops is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Towed View Post
Yes, I made a complete mess of the body around the outriggers while I was fitting the body, cutting far too much off on both sides. I've done a basic repair with stainless steel mesh and body filler, but I reckon I need to reinforce it with fibreglass once I've cut the boot outriggers off.
Hi Towed

Where are you intending cutting your riggers back to?
Have seen a couple showing different amounts, I was intending cutting back to my Exhaust bracket..

Pops
Old 6th September 2012, 16:06

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psycho pops View Post
Hi Towed

Where are you intending cutting your riggers back to?
Have seen a couple showing different amounts, I was intending cutting back to my Exhaust bracket..

Pops
I just assumed you cut them off flush with the body shell so they give it some support at the back? That'll also open up the possibility of some genuine rust bubbling up under the paint in years to come to give it a bit of authentic patina.

Good question though, anyone know what the 'proper' way to cut down the outriggers is?
Old 6th September 2012, 16:10

I hadn't thought about it supporting the rear, thanks for pointing that out.
Old 6th September 2012, 16:19

GazDavies is on a distinguished road

Be carefull if you do cut it down to support the body and make sure that the remaining metal is well rounded or else it could result in cracks in the body work.