Are you madabout kit cars      
 "We've Got Kit Cars Covered" Information about Madabout-Kitcars.com Contact Madabout-Kitcars.com         Home of UK kit cars - madabout-kitcars.com Various kit car write ups All the latest kit car news Kit car related and general discussion

Search
Manufacturers
Kit Cars
Kit Car Data sheets
Picture Gallery
SVA Knowledgebase
Clubs & Communities
Build cost estimator
Kit cars for sale
Knowledge Base 
KitcarUSA.com
Classic-Kitcars.com

Go Back   Madabout Kitcars Forum > Mad Build Area > Marlin 5exi builds

Marlin 5exi builds Calling all you sexi builders....sorry 5exi builders, show us your progress.

Old 14th August 2008, 11:44
Enthusiast

eaa53 is on a distinguished road
Default The Beast roars again...

The Beast roars again...

It does not seem long ago that I started the 200 engine as a last test before removal

It likely around the middle of May after I finished the last paying job.

Well its running again we are short of a few bits minor things like cooling, clutch hydraulic oil, gearbox oil, exhaust and so on but it runs and the ECU is talking to the 5AS and the fuel pump so all was well for the test run.

The electrical wiring is 95% complete with the lights wiring on the clams to finish, if I had the clams that is. I have fed all the circuits via water proof connectors on the cables to the clams to enable easy removal if needed and these are fitted ready for the final connections to the bulbs.

If you are heading into the electrics I could on request put together a ' things to watch out for and check' list for you. There are some little things you need to know to stop you making the same mistakes as me. For instance on the Marlin loom there are two green fed fuses 7 & 8, 'Switch 12 volt' circuits, these feed, two 'in loom' common points, these common points feed the designated circuits.

Now all you have to do is connect TWO green wires to the ignition switched fed are you are cooking. That minor detail would have saved me 4 hours fault finding had it been identified in a 'how to do ' instruction.
The hazards are also a trick you need to know (see separate thread 'Spare Wire' ) I am still working on that....
A tick list of tested working circuits is also a helping hand when its all coming thick and fast at the beginning of testing.

I also have a better camera so the shots should improve if the new camera is any good, its never the operator it always the tools that are wrong....

The front is almost together

http://img.auctiva.com/imgdata/7/9/7...59913978_o.jpg

The correct Rover RAVE (thanks John) also helped with real colours and pin out connections from the donor, detail the Haynes fails to provide.

The 5AS well that's a pain if you don't understand the operation, with Technozen's detail, confirming most of my trawled detail and added other snippets I did not know or understand, I now have FOB based immobilisation, and will add hazards on immobilisation and hazards and interior lights when de-immobilised as well as FOB sensing and tamper based horn alarm and clam open switched if I choose to fit them.

5AS and fuse mounting board

http://img.auctiva.com/imgdata/7/9/7...59913835_o.jpg

All this has been installed ready for the upgraded 5AS and a re-alignment of the 5AS, ECU and FOBs now I have the system proved with the original set up..

Door? Lock arrangement

http://img.auctiva.com/imgdata/7/9/7...59914168_o.jpg

Ign and FOB sensing coil fitted

http://img.auctiva.com/imgdata/7/9/7...59914347_o.jpg

The body panels are the next big thing I need to organise and I am looking at some options here.

Went to see BigFella the other weekend awesome yellow Honda powered machine, almost together.

Would love to hear it roar...

We are getting there....

JohnC
Available from eBay
Old 14th August 2008, 16:44
Enthusiast

peterux is on a distinguished road

The lack of good instructions from Marlin adds to the spirit of adventure and an even greater sense of achievement when you get it all finished!

By the way, looks like you are doing a quality build, well done.
Old 14th August 2008, 17:51
Enthusiast

marlinturbo is on a distinguished road

JohnC
Before going too much further I would recommend you stiffen up the steering support area. Perhaps weld in a plate across the beams? Someone on here has done this......
JohnB
Old 14th August 2008, 18:57
Enthusiast

craig is on a distinguished road

John d welded a plate across, I did it a different way as I wanted to retain access.....have pics if I can find them, it is extremly stiff now so works a treat

Craig
Old 17th August 2008, 00:04
Enthusiast

alackofspeed is on a distinguished road

I welded a couple of plates in, and have a bolt in additional brace. It was so sloppy before I did this, that the movement of the wheel caused the mvoement adjuster to come undone.
Old 19th August 2008, 08:26
Enthusiast

Steering Column Bracing

I thought long and hard about this mod and reviewed the threads at the time.

I do not have the movement on the steering wheel to warrant any additional bracing, as I said I monitored this part of the build looking for the movement others described.

I have securely locked all the clamps up including the underneath one and tightened the wheel height adjuster up (via the bolt not just the arm).

I have added spacers to lower the wheel, I will be running with the wheel at its lowest (if anything its still too high) and it is rock solid with the Rover wheel on and will be just the same if not better with the after market one that I will fit after SVA.

There are 5 bolts holding it in position with the half flexible bracket locked up tight on to the column and its good for me.

JohnC
Old 19th August 2008, 20:11
Enthusiast

limpabit is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by eaa53 View Post
Steering Column Bracing

I thought long and hard about this mod and reviewed the threads at the time.

I do not have the movement on the steering wheel to warrant any additional bracing, as I said I monitored this part of the build looking for the movement others described.

I have securely locked all the clamps up including the underneath one and tightened the wheel height adjuster up (via the bolt not just the arm).

I have added spacers to lower the wheel, I will be running with the wheel at its lowest (if anything its still too high) and it is rock solid with the Rover wheel on and will be just the same if not better with the after market one that I will fit after SVA.

There are 5 bolts holding it in position with the half flexible bracket locked up tight on to the column and its good for me.

JohnC
It's funny as mine and Ian's did not need extra bracing. It was solid.
Old 19th August 2008, 20:56
Enthusiast

marlinturbo is on a distinguished road

JohnC, i'm on holiday for a while.
Maybe I should pop up and have a look after the holiday? :-)
JohnB
Old 19th August 2008, 21:26
Enthusiast

craig is on a distinguished road

John, just to put it into perspective my steering mods took no more than an hour!
Old 20th August 2008, 08:56
Enthusiast

Jon

No probs any time to suit yourself.

I am working out of the front of the garage most of the time.

Today is 'sort the hazard circuit day' once and for all, I am gurdling my loins for a head scratcher of a day.

JohnC