Are you madabout kit cars      
 "We've Got Kit Cars Covered" Information about Madabout-Kitcars.com Contact Madabout-Kitcars.com         Home of UK kit cars - madabout-kitcars.com Various kit car write ups All the latest kit car news Kit car related and general discussion

Search
Manufacturers
Kit Cars
Kit Car Data sheets
Picture Gallery
SVA Knowledgebase
Clubs & Communities
Build cost estimator
Kit cars for sale
Knowledge Base 
KitcarUSA.com
Classic-Kitcars.com

Go Back   Madabout Kitcars Forum > Mad Build Area > General Build Chat

General Build Chat Area for general build chat, questions, tips, tricks and progress

Old 11th December 2013, 11:02

AndyP57 is on a distinguished road
Default Beetle Floors

Hi All, Just popped in from the Ribble forum next door.

We're playing with some ideas on using a classic beetle chassis for a new car (Details will follow if it happens) and are keen on keeping it 'IVA free' so want to use the full length, unmodified rolling chassis. What I need to wrap my head around is whether the floor pans are deemed a part of the chassis for this purpose? My gut instinct is that they aren't and as long as the 'Spine' of the chassis is unmodified, it would pass.

My reason for asking is that I would like to modify the outer shape of the floor area, effectively drawing a straight line between the rear floor supports and the 'Napoleons Hat' rather than working to a wide, parallel body with a forward tapered area.

Anyone done this on another kit? Thanks in advance
Available from eBay
Old 11th December 2013, 22:53

redratbike is on a distinguished road

Pretty sure they are not as Gary janes old beetle based 32 rod only used the central spine
Old 25th December 2013, 20:16

8 Valve Ed is on a distinguished road

Check this out, right at the bottom:

http://www.the-ace.org.uk/chassis-an...-modification/

Robert
Old 28th December 2013, 10:07

EL PRIMER is on a distinguished road

Gary J built the Jalopee at a time when DVLA were unclear on the allowance of this kind of build. He kind of took advantage of their wording or lack of it at that time. There was no clarity on what defined a chassis and outriggers etc. As DVLA have tried to tighten the system , anything that was a bit blurry was usually deemed to be unacceptable.
The Jalopee will fall foul now on 2 issues . Firstly , modified floorpans and secondly a bolt on subframe that alters the wheelbase.

Both unfair decisions in my opinion as neither modification alters the original chassis to a point where it cannot be easily re-instated to stock without any serious modification . You can unbolt the subframe and weld on the floorpans in the same way thousands are repaired regularly and voila ! its a stock chassis again . It would be a different case for a shortened pan but this isn't that and as such , i felt , should be exempt. DVLA don't like grey areas though and will close them down.
They did the same with Gary J's beam extender kits. These bolted to the front framehead to add 10'' of wheelbase without any welding mods and could be removed and returned to standard in about an hour. He sold about 50 odd of them under the legislation at that time . Someone , somewhere queried it and after about 3 months of debate the 'altered wheelbase' bit of the rules appeared.

As with all things do do with Hot Rodding , Customs etc. people will continue to use versions of these products . not everyone abides 100% by the IVA guidelines . any cut and modified monocoque for example , 'notching' etc. all dubious stuff if you want to get deep. but unfortunately , this doesn't help you as a kit car manufacturer trying to do it properly.

I AM CURIOUS TO WHAT YOU ARE PLANNING , IT SOUNDS INTERESTING . IS IT TOO EARLY FOR A TEASER ?

Last edited by EL PRIMER; 28th December 2013 at 10:12..
Old 30th December 2013, 09:55

AndyP57 is on a distinguished road

Hi EP,
Yes, a little early to tease as it isn't totally clear in my own mind yet but think thinner, same length, rearward positioned seat(s?) and a look back into early sports fun. As soon as I have something I'll be posting photos
Old 30th December 2013, 10:35

EL PRIMER is on a distinguished road

Sounds interesting .
If you sit too far back on a Beetle pan , it will necessitate shortening the gearshift tube and moving the gear lever rearwards - a modification that would need to be done without affecting the original backbone if you are trying to stay outside IVA. I think you can cut and drill holes etc. but not weld or seriously trim that area , so you should be ok. Shortening the shifter tube is irrelevant. Similarly , the pedals should be able to move backwards without affecting too much of a modification if you use the original cluster with shortened cables. I think the relocated mounting point into the tunnel should be considered to be just a drilled series of holes again. Alternatively , an aftermarket pedal set is an easy bolt on solution as well and converting a Beetle to hydraulic clutch is pretty easy as well.

It's a job to know whats expected sometimes.

I do have a friend who is very savvy with IVA and Volkswagens . He builds Sandrail type cars and is pretty clued up from an engineering , design and regulation point of view. Message me on here and i can give you his details , if you like. He's a really friendly guy who will be happy to discuss your requirements.

I know its an IVA issue but have you considered the MX5 ? The narrow backbone makes then ideal for a narrower car , although i accept if you are looking to create something a bit like a Type 35 Bugatti , the Beetle axles will suit an open wheel style better than an MX5 can offer.