Are you madabout kit cars      
 "We've Got Kit Cars Covered" Information about Madabout-Kitcars.com Contact Madabout-Kitcars.com         Home of UK kit cars - madabout-kitcars.com Various kit car write ups All the latest kit car news Kit car related and general discussion

Search
Manufacturers
Kit Cars
Kit Car Data sheets
Picture Gallery
SVA Knowledgebase
Clubs & Communities
Build cost estimator
Kit cars for sale
Knowledge Base 
KitcarUSA.com
Classic-Kitcars.com

Go Back   Madabout Kitcars Forum > Mad Build Area > Marlin 5exi builds

Marlin 5exi builds Calling all you sexi builders....sorry 5exi builders, show us your progress.

Old 20th September 2007, 09:18
Enthusiast

DavidH is on a distinguished road
Default Using a Write off as a Donor?

Hi all,

After having been to Donny at the weekend and drowled over Rich's car up there I am now donor hunting, and working out the order for the first sections.

I have seen a few potential donors that are Cat C or Cat D writeoff, but not effecting the parts I would need. Does anyone know if using a writeoff as a donor would present any issues when I try to get it registered and SVA'd at the end is there additional paperwork etc that needs doing?

Cheers

David.
Available from eBay
Old 20th September 2007, 12:32
Enthusiast

alackofspeed is on a distinguished road

Not that I'm aware of, provided you can prove the age of the engine and gearbox you should be able to get an age related plate. I'm not totally up to speed with the DVLA registration process, but I know with an engine and gearbox from a '54 plate Civic I have enough points to get a 54 plate for my build. What you have to do, to qualify for a new plate, I'm unsure of, but Steve C has got a 57 plate, and Craig is aiming for an 08 plate. They should know the score.

In their absence, you could try the total kit car site, which has a fair amount of info on it.
Old 20th September 2007, 17:24
Enthusiast

SDMC001 is on a distinguished road

David

Like John, my thoughts are that I cannot see any issues, but always worth checking with DVLA.

In the matter of SVA, I dont see that any issues there, as amatter of fact there findings should confirm the vehicle is safety.

Steve
Old 20th September 2007, 19:18
Enthusiast

bigrich is on a distinguished road
Smile

Hi David,

No problems at all. My donor was a Cat C or D (can't remember which) write off based on the 'uneconomical to repair' bodywork.

As you say this doesn't affect the bits you want and is a great way to get a younger donor for less cash.

DO make sure that the car runs OK though and try to get service history....most write off's won't give you the V5 so the SORN process and ownership transfer is a bit more complicated but from memory just involves filling in a couple of forms at the P.Office.

...or you could skip the donor and buy a fully built car (I know of a very nice orange one for sale!)

Rich
Old 21st September 2007, 12:42
Enthusiast

DavidH is on a distinguished road

Thanks, good to know write-off are ok as that makes quite a difference in what I can get.

Yes a very nice orange-car was impressed, but its time to do that macho thing and build my own.

D.
Old 23rd September 2007, 00:47
Enthusiast

grant620 is on a distinguished road

Somewhere -at an auction - there will be a cat C 216 up for sale soon.
It belonged to my in-laws...
Engine has recently had a lot of work (by me) and the car is totally sound apart from the smashed screen, roof, bonnet etc...
BlueCircle I think are auctioning it. They are linked to Norwich Union.
I have been reliably informed it will sell for between 70 and 100 UKP!!!