Are you madabout kit cars      
 "We've Got Kit Cars Covered" Information about Madabout-Kitcars.com Contact Madabout-Kitcars.com         Home of UK kit cars - madabout-kitcars.com Various kit car write ups All the latest kit car news Kit car related and general discussion

Search
Manufacturers
Kit Cars
Kit Car Data sheets
Picture Gallery
SVA Knowledgebase
Clubs & Communities
Build cost estimator
Kit cars for sale
Knowledge Base 
KitcarUSA.com
Classic-Kitcars.com

Go Back   Madabout Kitcars Forum > Mad Build Area > General Build Chat

General Build Chat Area for general build chat, questions, tips, tricks and progress

Old 8th December 2017, 08:38

Lucky@LeMans is on a distinguished road
Default Re Body question

Those in the know on here should be able to help.
If I buy an up and running kit car that is correctly registered can I change the bodywork for some thing else ?
Assuming that the chassis isn't modified then there shouldn't be a problem, is that correct ?
If I change the engine for a larger unit is that ok too ? I'm thinking of going from a 1600 ford X flow to a 3 litre V6.

Any help with regard to the new rules being introduced next year and if they might effect my plans .......

Thanks
Available from eBay
Old 8th December 2017, 09:38

lancelot link is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky@LeMans View Post
Those in the know on here should be able to help.
If I buy an up and running kit car that is correctly registered can I change the bodywork for some thing else ?
Assuming that the chassis isn't modified then there shouldn't be a problem, is that correct ?
If I change the engine for a larger unit is that ok too ? I'm thinking of going from a 1600 ford X flow to a 3 litre V6.

Any help with regard to the new rules being introduced next year and if they might effect my plans .......

Thanks
Absolutely no reason why not ...Next years rules shouldn't affect it either ...especially if its been built as a kit before 1988 ...Technically , you may need to change the V5c to reflect the new body , but if its an existing kit car name , sports etc on the V5c , I don't think I'd bother ...
Old 8th December 2017, 18:08

Good, I thought that was probably the case. I wasn't to sure about the engine upgrade, but after all, kit cars are all different in that respect so I couldn't see that would be an issue.
Old 8th December 2017, 19:04

Paul L is on a distinguished road

Lucky - The tip on Rods 'n' Sods was to make one change at a time.

So change the engine in the existing car and get that updated.

Then change the body shell as a separate exercise.
( With lots of 'Before' and 'After' photos showing the number plate. )

Good luck, Paul.
Old 13th December 2017, 20:23

What have you got in mind to build Lucky ?
Old 13th December 2017, 23:33

Thinking of building around a Westfield or similar 7 type space frame chassis. Once all the exterior panels and cladding is removed you are left with an excellent, proven, light weight rolling chassis. I like the re body idea but the usual route with older production donor cars with a separate chassis doesn't appeal. Likewise, the other typical re body donors like the MX5 or Z3 have other compromises because of the monocoque design.
Old 14th December 2017, 14:23

scimjim is on a distinguished road

Just discussing this the other day - a Scimitar coupe body on a Westfield SEight turned up at Curborough (at our national event) last year
Old 14th December 2017, 18:44

Quote:
Thinking of building around a Westfield or similar 7 type space frame chassis. Once all the exterior panels and cladding is removed you are left with an excellent, proven, light weight rolling chassis. I like the re body idea but the usual route with older production donor cars with a separate chassis doesn't appeal. Likewise, the other typical re body donors like the MX5 or Z3 have other compromises because of the monocoque design.
I started a Locost with a Cordite body just before the Formosa and it was shaping up ok ...it was only a space / money issue that forced me to stop ...

A locost would go under a Formosa body without too much effort ....just saying ....
Old 17th December 2017, 12:31

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancelot link View Post
What have you got in mind to build Lucky ?
Something like this ..............
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3162[1].jpg (96.6 KB, 46 views)
Old 17th December 2017, 13:26
Big Cheese

JG has disabled reputation

Ooooo, did you buy the body that was on ebay recently?
Old 17th December 2017, 14:41

Yes, that was me ! I did a ton of research on that particular car before I placed a bid. The ebay advert was simply appalling, but there were a couple of unique features in the photos in the ad. From that I was able to identify the actual car, the previous owners and even the chassis number etc etc. It is a Giordanengo body that was converted back in 1988.
I've collected the panels now, the quality is amazing, all the panels are 99% straight and it all fits together. I'm in the process of stripping the remains of the paint before I can weld the lot back together.
Old 17th December 2017, 14:46

Quote:
Yes, that was me ! I did a ton of research on that particular car before I placed a bid. The ebay advert was simply appalling, but there were a couple of unique features in the photos in the ad. From that I was able to identify the actual car, the previous owners and even the chassis number etc etc. It is a Giordanengo body that was converted back in 1988.
I've collected the panels now, the quality is amazing, all the panels are 99% straight and it all fits together. I'm in the process of stripping the remains of the paint before I can weld the lot back together.
Oh well done ...I'm looking forward to seeing that come together ... I thought that was a cheap body for what it was and some of the bits that came with it were very nice as well...
Old 17th December 2017, 14:52

The fuel tank is a work of art in its own right, there were a few genuine Ferrari bits included too!
Old 17th December 2017, 15:55

molleur is on a distinguished road

Please keep us informed of your build with plenty of photos as you go along. Very interesting project indeed!
Old 17th December 2017, 16:31
Big Cheese

JG has disabled reputation

Well done Even from the few photos on the ebay listing the panels looked quality. If I was flush with cash (I never am!) then I would have had them in a heartbeat.

Maybe whilst its in bare metal it would be a good time to take a mould and recoup some of your investment. I'm sure there would be some takers
Old 17th December 2017, 18:47

redratbike is on a distinguished road

So was your post below to put everybody else off the scent ??? Ha ha ha ha

"The seller has no history and knows very little about it. The car has no ID.
Be careful, it looks cut up and dismantled which it wouldn't be, would it ??
Rings alarm bells for me! The useful mechanical Ferrari V12 and other parts are long gone, why would that be?"
Old 17th December 2017, 18:54

I didn't think it was right to start with. I did so much research which took me days. I eventually got hold of the previous owner and had a long chat with him. I was only happy right at the end of the auction when I placed my bids.

Last edited by Lucky@LeMans; 17th December 2017 at 19:07..
Old 17th December 2017, 22:36

redratbike is on a distinguished road

Quote:
I didn't think it was right to start with. I did so much research which took me days. I eventually got hold of the previous owner and had a long chat with him. I was only happy right at the end of the auction when I placed my bids.
Fair enough Well done anyway .i think you got an absolute bargain ... please post a build thread on here

When I read who made the body I looked back in my links I keep and they also build some web replicas

http://www.kidston.com/WORLD-CLASSIC...%20replica.pdf

And this statement must make you smile

best TR replicas were built by Giovanni Giordanengo, Mario Allegretti, and Franco Ferrari in Italy; by DK Engineering and RS panels in England; by Piet Roelofs and Alwin Hietbrink in Holland; or by Greg Jones

Taken from this article

https://www.ferraris-online.com/page...=SCM_200601_SS

Last edited by redratbike; 17th December 2017 at 22:43..
Old 17th December 2017, 23:27

Mitchelkitman is on a distinguished road

Back in '95 I was looking for a GRP stockist on Canvey Island in Essex, and stumbled across a 'workshop' where they were creating all sorts of F replicas (in ally) - they looked to be first class. Anyone know who? and if they are still there?
Also (it would have been about 1988) there was a place near Chadwell Heath in Essex (spotted from a flyover) that had many E types in various stages of completion. Makes me curious how many 'replicas' are around labeled as the real thing?
Old 18th December 2017, 08:40

I think a lot of the cars on the racing scene are a bit like ''Triggers broom'' to be honest ...original engines squirrelled away to avoid them being damaged , replacement panels etc. And equally as many with dubious provenance and slightly ''off'' chassis etc.

The 250 TR is a great car , not my favourite as its a controversial design ...but still a great car ...The tucked in wings that Scaglietti introduced to allow front brakes to cool are the biggest feature that make the car stand out .... I read the original cars didn't have it , but the air that travelled through the vents at the front to cool the brakes would blow water that had collected in the wheel arches back onto the brakes in a swirling action ...so they did that mod to allow the water to escape too ...... 50's aerodynamic logic at its best !