Are you madabout kit cars      
 "We've Got Kit Cars Covered" Information about Madabout-Kitcars.com Contact Madabout-Kitcars.com         Home of UK kit cars - madabout-kitcars.com Various kit car write ups All the latest kit car news Kit car related and general discussion

Search
Manufacturers
Kit Cars
Kit Car Data sheets
Picture Gallery
SVA Knowledgebase
Clubs & Communities
Build cost estimator
Kit cars for sale
Knowledge Base 
KitcarUSA.com
Classic-Kitcars.com

Go Back   Madabout Kitcars Forum > Mad Build Area > Tribute Automotive Builds

Tribute Automotive Builds Discuss your Tribute kit build

Closed Thread

Old 26th December 2015, 10:59

smash is on a distinguished road

In that case "wow" and then "wow!" afterwards...
Old 26th December 2015, 15:48

mobilerobbie is on a distinguished road

Come on, you can see clearly that the door is not closed, look at the gap at the bottom, the sill shows it in its first lock but not fully closed....
Old 26th December 2015, 16:19

WorldClassAccident is on a distinguished road

If you look at the window frames they line up okay. I would say it is just the door panel hasn't been fitted properly. Maybe as they knew it was to get the Nubodi magic anyway, they just saved time?

The kits themselves aren't normally that far out, even the one-off Z300SWB that Chris did from measurements without my car there was better fitting.
Old 26th December 2015, 17:20
Enthusiast

Nubodi Automotive is on a distinguished road

Perhaps I need to reel this back in. It was not my intention to poke fun at anyones car just to show we had to work a lot of magic on this one to make it good. Move on.
Old 26th December 2015, 19:01

Roadster is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nubodi Automotive View Post
Perhaps I need to reel this back in. It was not my intention to poke fun at anyones car just to show we had to work a lot of magic on this one to make it good. Move on.
It has recently seemed to me that Richard is suggesting that the Tribute products are in need of serious modding to make them respectable.

I would remind everyone that Richard is in business to sell his services.

If you are worried about fit and finish take a look at the build threads here and visit the manufacturer
Old 26th December 2015, 20:01
Enthusiast

Nubodi Automotive is on a distinguished road

Sorry if it has come across like that. Im just trying to show people its a great product if you put in the time to finish it to a high standard. I work very closely with Chris and he is well aware from the feedback I give him on a weekly basis. I am only trying to improve the build experience for all. It may come across that we are in competition with Chris but this is not the case. We are the build agent for his products and sell the kits too. However I do believe in being honest when I am selling a product. I make no apology for that.
Old 26th December 2015, 21:14

I would back Richard in what he is saying. The kits you get from Tribute are just that, kits. They are well made and if you have the time and make the effort the finish can be amazing.

I used mine as a learning experience to teach myself about building a car body, preparation of surface, getting things to fit. What I learnt is that it is possible for a first timer like me to get a good end result.

What I also learnt is that it takes longer to get good enough to get a great result. It is not just the time you take to do a job, it is the time it takes to get the experience to know how to do the job properly.

I have learnt so much and made so many mistakes but I enjoyed it. If I wanted a better result I would have taken it to Nubodi as they have the experience and skills to do it right.

I now need to decide on whether to try and do my new bonnet myself or get Nubodi to do it better...
Old 26th December 2015, 23:50

Lucky@LeMans is on a distinguished road

I would like to think the panel was just poorly fitted from the start. If it is a bad molding and they are all coming out like that then it needs sorting really.

I have built a number of poorly fitting kits in my time and this sort of thing takes away a lot of the pleasure building a car. Whilst I have the skills to put them right it feels like I am sorting out someone else's mistake.

I was under the impression from other threads that the panel gap issue was resolved some time ago ??
Old 26th December 2015, 23:55

Quote:
Yes as you can see the window is lined up...Im not lying. This wasnt the worst bit either. Who wants more photos?
Lets see the other pics then !
Old 27th December 2015, 05:48

Tribute Automotive is on a distinguished road

A carefully considered statement will follow, after family Xmas has come first, but for now some previous references:

http://www.madabout-kitcars.com/foru...t=4261&page=41

http://www.madabout-kitcars.com/foru...t=4261&page=54

http://www.madabout-kitcars.com/foru...t=4261&page=57

A (belated) Happy Christmas and A Happy New Year to all Tribute Customers.
Old 27th December 2015, 09:33

smash is on a distinguished road

Bloody hell why is everyone getting so out of shape?!

All I can see is a "before" and "after" post that shows a specific problem area they had to deal with in order to get the best fit and finish for the customer. There wasn't any finger pointing - it was just "look what we managed to achieve from this to that".

This is good for the customer - what a great looking car! It's good for Nubodi - great demonstration of skills and finishing AND it's good for Tribute because not only does it show their SWB vision off in a stunning way to the whole world (what an advert) but it ALSO reinforces exactly why they chose Nubodi to be their official build agent in the first place. Win, win, win.

It only went a bit wonky with the accusation that maybe the door had been left partially open to make the before pic look more challenging.

If I'm going to invest thousands with someone I need to be able to trust them. Honesty which goes hand in hand with expectation management are essential for my satisfaction. I wanted internal boot hinges - no problem, Chris gave me a price, all agreed great! Kit production was bang on time - great! Now working through the finish details with Nubodi and the challenge of gloss black paint -great!
Old 27th December 2015, 09:45

I agree this seems to escalate, possibly because it is on the internet so people can't get their message totally clear.

Both the Z300S body and the later 250SWB bonnet have fitted and been well aligned straight from Tribute. I have been very pleased with the quality of the panels and fit.

All car bodies whether fibreglass, steel, alloy or unobtainium will need sanding and blocking to get a show car finish. This is the bit I struggled with and where I see Nubodi providing their expertise and experience. Removing the flash lines is relatively simple but getting it perfect is harder, especially as I painted mine gloss black too.
Old 27th December 2015, 11:29

Quote:
Yes as you can see the window is lined up...Im not lying. This wasnt the worst bit either. Who wants more photos?
I'm not trying to cause any problems for anyone , I want to build a
Tribute 250 SWB but I am not in a position to order a kit until spring time next year.

In the meantime I am reading all the build info I can find so when I take the plunge it will all go smoothly.

However , when I read comments such as this one from Nubodi it puts a little doubt in my mind. Perhaps I will have to factor in the extra cost for Nubodi to do the final fit and finish ?

Perhaps a new mold should be taken from a Nubodi car that has all the panels properly finished. A perfect build should then be possible .
Old 27th December 2015, 15:33

hurnleft is on a distinguished road

Hi all and best wishes for the season.
Thought I'd put my thoughts in the mix as mine was the first 250swb built up.

Minus points.
1/ The car will require a little final fettling before paint.

Plus points
1/ It's amazing value for money
2/ I'll have been using it, loving the look of it, getting a buzz out of it every time I drive it and enjoying the admiring glances for nearly a year before I get round to having it final fettled and painted.
3/ I've been in no rush to finish the car completely,giving time for personal touches and a good long shake down.
4/ It will possibly be a good investment when done which is unlike most other hobbies.

I look forward to seeing a good selection of 250's at Stoneleigh in May, in various styles, colours and states of finish, and built to various budgets.

Cheers, Bob.
Old 27th December 2015, 15:49

Mister Towed is on a distinguished road

As Hurnleft says, the panels are great value and it's just a bit of final fettling that's needed to get the panel gaps right.

These cars at Stoneleigh last year all looked fine, even though they weren't in paint the panels fitted pretty well.

Instead of thinking along the lines of paying someone to fit the panels, how about relishing the challenge and having a go yourself?

The finished result will be something you can be proud of, even if it isn't perfect.
Old 27th December 2015, 15:53

Mine is the blue one in the picture above. Everything on it at this point is at 'basic build' level and was already a cool looking car.
Old 27th December 2015, 17:07

Drummajor is on a distinguished road

I would just like to add my pennies worth.
There seems to be too many negative comments appearing on this forum recently.
I look forward to reading on here peoples progress and getting build tips . Everyone knew what they where getting into if they didn't they wouldn't have bought into the idea. My car is not perfect but that's why I like it, I built it, I added my own style , I even tried to paint it, it's mine. People are entitled to their opinion, like arse holes, everyone has one. I have nothing but praise for someone who can take a pile of bits and build a car. Good or bad, they are their pride and joy.

Have great new year guys, building and driving your dreams.
See you all at stonleigh
Old 27th December 2015, 17:32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drummajor View Post
I would just like to add my pennies worth.
There seems to be too many negative comments appearing on this forum recently.
I look forward to reading on here peoples progress and getting build tips . Everyone knew what they where getting into if they didn't they wouldn't have bought into the idea. My car is not perfect but that's why I like it, I built it, I added my own style , I even tried to paint it, it's mine. People are entitled to their opinion, like arse holes, everyone has one. I have nothing but praise for someone who can take a pile of bits and build a car. Good or bad, they are their pride and joy.

Have great new year guys, building and driving your dreams.
See you all at stonleigh
Well said ! I agree , each to their own. I hope to be able to place my order by the time Stonleigh comes around.

It would be nice to see other builds posted up here , seems to be the same few all the time.
Old 27th December 2015, 20:35

IanA is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by hurnleft View Post
...Minus points.
1/ The car will require a little final fettling before paint.
I'd agree with that except that it's a KIT car- only to be expected.

Quote:
Plus points...
2/ I'll have been using it, loving the look of it, getting a buzz out of it every time I drive it and enjoying the admiring glances for nearly a year before I get round to having it final fettled and painted.
I've been driving my Z300S in that state for 18months now and I'm still grinning. And still getting admiring comments.

Makes me proud to be driving a Tribute car.
Old 27th December 2015, 20:54

[QUOTE=IanA;73652]I'd agree with that except that it's a KIT car- only to be expected.

That's my point. It ONLY requires a little fettling which is great for a kit car at that price. None the less it's an observation which I think is worth pointing out for any newcomer to the hobby who may be used to mass produced perfection.
As you can also see I couldn't find any other downside.

Bob.
Closed Thread