Are you madabout kit cars      
 "We've Got Kit Cars Covered" Information about Madabout-Kitcars.com Contact Madabout-Kitcars.com         Home of UK kit cars - madabout-kitcars.com Various kit car write ups All the latest kit car news Kit car related and general discussion

Search
Manufacturers
Kit Cars
Kit Car Data sheets
Picture Gallery
SVA Knowledgebase
Clubs & Communities
Build cost estimator
Kit cars for sale
Knowledge Base 
KitcarUSA.com
Classic-Kitcars.com

Go Back   Madabout Kitcars Forum > Mad Build Area > Tribute Automotive Builds

Tribute Automotive Builds Discuss your Tribute kit build

Old 21st March 2017, 21:17

couerdelion is on a distinguished road
Default Couerdelion's 250 SWB Coupe Build

I thought I'd start a build thread from the very beginning (Pre-everything!)

I've started searching for a 2.8 Z3, have an idea on kit manufacturing times (5-6 weeks before Stoneleigh) and have the money sat in the bank ready to go.

Research I've done pretty much tells me it'll be nigh on impossible to get a decent insurance quote over here in Dublin, Ireland so I'll be building it here but then shipping and keeping in England to use when I'm over (quite often!) - Originally from Leeds and all my family still over there.

There's also the consideration of road tax. The 1.9 would cost me e700 to tax (used to have one that I swappped for an SLK). The 2.8 would cost a whopping e1391 a year in road tax.

I've been searching ebay / autotrader for a suitable donor and hope to get one this week. Got outbid on one today. Trying to keep it to a tight budget but prices seem to rising daily as we head towards summer. With the cost of road tax they are nearly all 1.9's here. Buying in UK is an option but I'll be buying blind as I'd have to fly in and drive it out (unless its NI).

Once I have a donor I'll order the kit. First time building something like this and looking forward to it. Got a mate helping me but he's as clueless as me.

Really enjoyed lurking and reading the build threads - theres some fantastic finished cars on here.

Plan for my build is to keep everything simple. Will complete the kit pretty much as is designed, without much modification, and then paint it myself to keep costs as low as possible. Seen some of the results of painting that members on here and other forums have got from both roller and spray and been impressed enough to give it a try. Not sure on colours yet. Maybe a dark matt grey. If the build process goes well then the mate will probably buy himself a kit too and that may get a few modifications if the confidence is there.
Available from eBay
Old 21st March 2017, 21:23

ericholm is on a distinguished road
Smile

Welcome to the forum!

If you have been looking around the forum you will have seen some excellent build threads and ideas.

Suggest you don't go for 1.9 if you can help it, I know tax is an issue but also think of resale.

I think your mate might get the better deal as he will practice on yours first! anyway it would have been great to have someone helping me out on my build so am a little jealous.

If you need advice just post on the thread, we are a friendly bunch and always willing to help others, as we have all been there and appreciate what you are taking on

Cheers!

BTW - There was no manual for the build and my build was my first, so if I can do it anyone can!

Last edited by ericholm; 21st March 2017 at 21:25..
Old 22nd March 2017, 13:06

Thanks ericholm - if my car ends up half as good as yours I'll be happy!
Old 22nd March 2017, 14:19

WorldClassAccident is on a distinguished road

If you want to fly over for the Tribute BBQ there are direct FlyBe flights for about £80 Dublin to Southampton. I am happy to drive you about a bit on the weekend. Give you a chance to meet a few people and see a few different cars.

Just a thought...
Old 24th March 2017, 17:07

Thanks WCA thats a real generous offer. Unfortunately I'll have to miss the BBQ this year and hopefully have a tribute to turn up in next year.

Prices on ebay and even autotrader currently mental. Lots of cars up for 4k+ but if you look at completed listings they're not selling. It is encouraging people to put them up at silly prices though. The search continues
Old 1st April 2017, 18:45

Well after a bit of looking I finally got a car. Flew over to the UK during the week to pick it up and it's now sat on the driveway.

I gave it a good test drive on the way home, went from the south coast up to the wash and then across to holyhead via the peak district. After driving the 1.9 I must say the 2.8 is a much better car. I drove it in a pretty unhurried manner enjoying the sunshine with the roof down most of the time, but when I needed to over take it was effortless. Was a bit disappointed by the average speed cameras on the cat and fiddle!

Previous owner was sound, 3 of us offered asking price and I got it as I sounded like i would take care of it. I didnt mention turning it into a kit car. Oops.

The car is in good condition, and I am not too sure I want to take it apart now I've got it... but I cant afford to go buy another so...

Next step is to secure somewhere to do the work (although the driveway is an option). Went out and looked at a place last week but it was expensive for what was a farm building with no electricity. Hoping to see another couple of units this week.

IMAG0579 by couerdelion2013, on Flickr
Old 1st April 2017, 20:39

Jaguartvr is on a distinguished road

If you plan correctly you can pull all the bits off and put the kit on minus the door skins in a weekend if you work at it. Wiring the lights probably takes longer than fitting the front and rear clams. You can always wire the lights up ready on the kitchen table. That way you only have to fit half the connectors outside.
Cheat and use Eric's build thread for the wiring.
The door skins and all the niggly bits are what take the time.
Once the basic shell is on you can drive it and work on each when you want.
Old 2nd April 2017, 19:01

Paul L is on a distinguished road

couerdelion - A belated welcome to the forum.

Whilst I managed to build my kit outside on my driveway, it was a real pain in the

So if you can get any space where you can just down tools and lock up it will make a big difference.

I wasted a lot of time setting up tools and parts before I could start and then packing them all away again at the end.

I've spent a lot of time in Galway and Mayo, so I'm sure you don't need me to mention the weather!

Good luck, Paul.
Old 4th April 2017, 21:58

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaguartvr View Post
If you plan correctly you can pull all the bits off and put the kit on minus the door skins in a weekend if you work at it. Wiring the lights probably takes longer than fitting the front and rear clams. You can always wire the lights up ready on the kitchen table. That way you only have to fit half the connectors outside.
Cheat and use Eric's build thread for the wiring.
The door skins and all the niggly bits are what take the time.
Once the basic shell is on you can drive it and work on each when you want.
Thanks Jag, I've bookmarked Eric's posts on the wiring.

Set a rough schedule with my mate to get things done. From reading the threads on here (and I'm doing a lot of reading!) the strip down and bodywork, minus the doors, looks straight forward and quick enough. The doors look like they could be a real struggle, not done any fibre glassing before so no idea how I'll reshape etc if I need to. Will be a real learning experience. As will cutting the door skins and getting the handles to work.

The real time though seems to be sunk into the finishing and painting.
I'm due to head to Barcelona in late Sept. Plan is to make sure the car is ready before then and drive down in it.
Old 4th April 2017, 22:03

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul L View Post
couerdelion - A belated welcome to the forum.

Whilst I managed to build my kit outside on my driveway, it was a real pain in the

So if you can get any space where you can just down tools and lock up it will make a big difference.

I wasted a lot of time setting up tools and parts before I could start and then packing them all away again at the end.

I've spent a lot of time in Galway and Mayo, so I'm sure you don't need me to mention the weather!

Good luck, Paul.
Thanks Paul, yeah we have our fair share of rain here alright. I did a fair amount of work last year getting another Z3 oback on the road after 6 years and all that work was done on the driveway. Like you say, its not fun having to pack up whilst you need to the motor factors, then get it all back out again. Plan is definitely to get a lockup of some kind, but they're as rare as hens teeth. I remember back in Leeds you used to be able to rent garages off the council for a few quid a week. Nothing like that here. It's that bad I'm seriously considering setting up some kind of business that rents out garages!
Old 4th April 2017, 22:04

Deposit just paid for a 250 SWB Hard Top.

Now to start the parts shopping!
Old 4th April 2017, 23:05

Lucky@LeMans is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by couerdelion View Post
Thanks Paul, yeah we have our fair share of rain here alright. I did a fair amount of work last year getting another Z3 oback on the road after 6 years and all that work was done on the driveway. Like you say, its not fun having to pack up whilst you need to the motor factors, then get it all back out again. Plan is definitely to get a lockup of some kind, but they're as rare as hens teeth. I remember back in Leeds you used to be able to rent garages off the council for a few quid a week. Nothing like that here. It's that bad I'm seriously considering setting up some kind of business that rents out garages!
Have you thought about one of those pop up temporary garages from Machine Mart or even a covered gazeebo ? Have you got a little space that's secure enough ( back garden? ). Well worth it for not much money and its dry !
Old 6th April 2017, 12:24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky@LeMans View Post
Have you thought about one of those pop up temporary garages from Machine Mart or even a covered gazeebo ? Have you got a little space that's secure enough ( back garden? ). Well worth it for not much money and its dry !
I've looked at the pop-up gazebos and if I can only rent a secure yard then they would be ideal. Unfortunately I've no access to the back of my place unless I demolish a wall. It has been considered but I think the management company might be against it as it would also mean removing their planting.

It was actually seeing that some of you managed to get it done on your driveways that gsve me the kick to just get on with it. I've spent too long waiting for perfect conditions before taking the plunge so I've decided to be a little more zen like - what will be will be.
Old 6th April 2017, 13:36

Drummajor is on a distinguished road

Built mine on my drive way. Wheeled in and out of the garage just no room for me and the car in the garage. Having said that it spent most of the build on the drive as the weather was good.
Old 6th April 2017, 15:39

So the shopping has started. Picked this up today.

_MG_2906Copy by couerdelion2013, on Flickr
Old 6th April 2017, 18:40

hurnleft is on a distinguished road

I had one of these wheels on mine at one time but changed to a larger old style one.

Good luck with the build, I'm watching your progress and ideas.
Old 26th April 2017, 22:21

Managed to find a unit to rent to do the build in so with the long weekend coming up I'll be looking to get the strip of the donor sorted. It's about a 15 minute drive away so close enough. Not cheap but it's only for a max of 5 months.

Is there a guide anywhere? Or is it a case of using the Haynes manual?

Lots of ideas in my head at the moment as to how I want to do the build. I quite like Hilltops' Race/Rally style and might use some of his ideas.

Car will be black (think I've decided for sure) as that is the donor colour and I'll be painting myself and it saves painting engine bay, door shuts etc.

Steel Wheels - 17" (any cons over 16"?)

New seats

Nubodis dash and dials (probably)

New exhaust - dual twin as seems to be the standard

Has anyone done anything about the ICE? I'm thinking something hidden / stealth that I can listen to when moving but hidden if people looking in.

Needs to be finished by mid Sept as latest as I'm driving it to Spain.

That is about as much thinking as I've done. Once I start I'm sure I'll be firing the questions in!
Old 26th April 2017, 23:42

Lucky@LeMans is on a distinguished road

You should find all the info on the threads here.
There isn't much that hasn't been covered.
If you can strip the donor you can fit the kit just take your time to get everything aligned and gapped up correctly. Getting the doors / door locks right is covered on most of the existing build threads, the electrics are easy then its just paint prep and paint.

Good luck
Old 27th April 2017, 07:40

Jaguartvr is on a distinguished road

The door locks are very easy, door gaps much harder.
I have used the grey material they use to line vans with in the boot and it looks very good, very cheap and easy to fit. Would make a very good headlining, available in black or various shades of grey.I would suggest fitting it before bonding the roof on, just leave the first few inches loose so you can glue it over the join once the roof has been bonded on.
I have a garage but it has so much crap in it that the whole build has been done on the drive. Harder for you as you will lose your roof. I have bought a good quality car cover from Ebay, website sells them for £175 and I picked it up for £27. Now is a good time to look as people are not using them. Mine is semi tailored and was to fit a Alfa Spider.
In fact it was so cheap I managed to pick up 3 more covers, 2 for my GTO's and one for my MK2 Jag. Nothing over £40 and they have clips and starts and are all thick breathable material. I went mad because next door have just knocked down their house and the amount of dust is amazing.
The one for the Z3 was used to keep it water tight when all the 250 panels were removed to the back garden for priming.
Old 27th April 2017, 19:17

casamolino is on a distinguished road

Good evening couerdelion , from personal experience any work you do on the interior (for example removing the BMW plastic/new carpets/new parcel shelf/new seats) will be a hell of a lot easier before the new bodywork is on the car , now it may be for space reasons you need to get the bodywork fitted quickly! but if you can wait the interior will take less effort , all the best with the build , look forward to seeing you thread , Geoff .