Are you madabout kit cars      
 "We've Got Kit Cars Covered" Information about Madabout-Kitcars.com Contact Madabout-Kitcars.com         Home of UK kit cars - madabout-kitcars.com Various kit car write ups All the latest kit car news Kit car related and general discussion

Search
Manufacturers
Kit Cars
Kit Car Data sheets
Picture Gallery
SVA Knowledgebase
Clubs & Communities
Build cost estimator
Kit cars for sale
Knowledge Base 
KitcarUSA.com
Classic-Kitcars.com

Go Back   Madabout Kitcars Forum > Mad Build Area > Marlin Sportster, Cabrio, Berlinetta and Roadster builds

Marlin Sportster, Cabrio, Berlinetta and Roadster builds Enthused or Confused about your vintage Marlin build? Ask away here or show off your build.

Old 10th March 2012, 16:20
Enthusiast

GreatOldOne is on a distinguished road
Default Feeling Chuffed!

Not marlin related, but still very satisfying - I've just replaced the rear bearings in the Jag!

I was getting a horrible droning noise at speed, and it wasn't Pauline telling me to slow down.

It was definitely coming from the rear axle, so I decided to replace the bearings. Apparently S-Types are pretty notorious for eating rear bearings, so it felt like the best place to start. Especially as the bearings are only £30 each.

I did have to buy a decent hub puller, as the half shaft seemed to be welded into the hubs... But that will get used again. And I treat myself to a bearing and bush press kit, which again will get used again (soon as it happens, as I need to sort out the front bushes on Vikki when I rebuild her)

Everything went so smoothly, I still can't quite believe that it was that easy. Tools not withstanding, I reckon I must have saved about £400 worth of labour charges at the local stealer.

Anyway - no more droning. Shes now as quiet as a stalking cat should be.

Me - I've just got a big cheesy grin on my face, and grease under my fingernails.

Available from eBay
Old 10th March 2012, 18:49

denniswpearce is on a distinguished road

Ever thought of starting your own business with all these skills.
Nice one Jason.
Old 10th March 2012, 20:51
Enthusiast

Patrick is on a distinguished road

sweet, its great - I've not paid a mechanic to do anything to my E46 in years now
Old 11th March 2012, 20:41

morris is on a distinguished road

I replaced all the front bushes on my E46 with powerflex last weekend which though satisfying was not massively complicated but as always with the daily driver, the main concern is ballsing something up and not being able to get to work or a motor factors on monday morning.

I'm now saving up some courage to do the Rear trailing arm bushes. Although I fully stripped down the rear E36 suspension for the Sportster, that was on a bench with no time pressure. trying to get bushes or bearings out on the car is pretty scary stuff knowing what a hassle it was on the bench.

The most scary and satisfying job to date was the cam belt, pulleys, tensioner and water pump change on my old V6 406 coupe without a manual. took 12 hours and added a few extra grey hairs
Old 12th March 2012, 15:58
Enthusiast

cool the powerflex bushes make changing wish bones so much easier!

When you do the back wash the entire area before you start. Then mark the position of the trailing arms with a pen (use a lot of pen everywhere...).

The front of the trailing arms are adjustable (toe) so you want to make sure they go back exactly where you took them off.

I managed to get them back where they were and confirmed with a 4 wheel alignment check (you need a full tank and they chuck a load of weight in the back to make sure everything is calibrated right)
Old 12th March 2012, 21:13

Yeah, I think a 4 wheel alignment will be booked before any new rear tyres. I put new Michelins on the front this weekend to replace the dodgy noisey, un-balanceable budgets (Accelera ?!?) that came with the car. £350 the pair including a £100 discount :/

Not swapping the dodgy Kumho's off the back till I get the bushes sorted though. hopefully then if won't sound like I'm being chased by a vuvuzela.

Rear bearings are definitely one for the garage for me though
Old 12th March 2012, 22:00
Enthusiast

Yeah, I'd have to think about doing wheel bearings. The other job I'd not really want to do is the clutch but with 116k on the clock it might need one at some point in the next few years :/

Tyres are kick in the pants (or wallet even), but they make all the difference. I've had Conti Sport contact 3's, Goodyear Eagle F1 (directional), Bridgestone SO1's, Bridgestone RE050's, Michelin Pilot Sports and Michelin Premacy HP's

The conti were OK not brilliant in the wet, Goodyears were excellent but the rears only lasted 7k !!! Bridgestone SO1 are awesome but they don't make them more, 050 are also good but I can seem to get them in the right size any more, Pilot Sport 3's are very good but I can't get rear ones (245/45/17). Premacy HPs are excellent all rounders, even not bad in the snow! Maybe slightly less good in the dry that the pilot sport 3's.

I briefly has some Dunlop SP sports on that there were terrible, my Alpina's came with them on when I bought them second hand.

I'll be getting Michelin's again next time, Pilot Sport 3s if they have the back ones the right size otherwise the permacys.

I've driving it for 8 years so been through quite some tyre variations
Old 13th March 2012, 16:55

It was the sport 3's I went for, 225/40R18 though the ones that came off were 45s. I didn't realise he'd fitted slightly lower profile until I got home. Maybe he new something I didn't about the correct size (or just had a pair to get rid of). I always go for Michelins as though the most expensive of the high street brands, they never fail to deliver in all conditions. My rears are 255/35R18 so I think I should be ok there too but may have to go for pirelli or conti
Old 13th March 2012, 19:04
Enthusiast

Have wanted to try p zeros, they were my second choice last time. I did kinda go off Pirelli after the P6000s I had on my E36 - really bad in the wet.