Are you madabout kit cars      
 "We've Got Kit Cars Covered" Information about Madabout-Kitcars.com Contact Madabout-Kitcars.com         Home of UK kit cars - madabout-kitcars.com Various kit car write ups All the latest kit car news Kit car related and general discussion

Search
Manufacturers
Kit Cars
Kit Car Data sheets
Picture Gallery
SVA Knowledgebase
Clubs & Communities
Build cost estimator
Kit cars for sale
Knowledge Base 
KitcarUSA.com
Classic-Kitcars.com

Go Back   Madabout Kitcars Forum > Mad Build Area > Tribute Automotive Builds

Tribute Automotive Builds Discuss your Tribute kit build

Old 20th September 2015, 22:01

scimjim is on a distinguished road
Default 250SWB at Beaulieu autojumble

saw this at Beaulieu the other week - is it a Tribute? the seller wasn't sure.

Available from eBay
Old 21st September 2015, 06:16

Tribute Automotive is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by scimjim View Post
saw this at Beaulieu the other week - is it a Tribute? the seller wasn't sure.

Yes it is a Tribute. It's our old prototype/demo car. We sold it to a German guy at Stoneleigh this year for £7,500 in the unfinished condition shown but sat on 19" alloys.

I had a phone call a couple of weeks ago from the guy who bought it when it showed up at the September Autojumble. The only things to have changed are the wheels, they are now BMW 15" 5 series, and the sale price...... are you all sitting down? It sold for £18,000.
Old 21st September 2015, 06:33

Mister Towed is on a distinguished road

£18k sounds fair to me for an unfinished project.

I personally think that a lot of these cars get undersold when they are sold at kit kar shows or go on ebay/Gumtree/etc. - Sammio Spyders for £4.5k, top quality MX 250's for about five. I just think they're being pitched at the wrong type of buyer through those outlets.

Finish them properly with period detailing, stick an ad in 'Octane' and park it in the classics for sale area at Goodwood Revival with an '£offers' sign in the window and you might find that people with much deeper pockets start to notice...
Old 21st September 2015, 10:52

WorldClassAccident is on a distinguished road

If I ever sell I am going to Beaulieu not Stoneleigh then!
Old 21st September 2015, 11:05

smash is on a distinguished road

18k unfinished? That's telling you your business model is wrong...

However, break from cover and you're not only in deep pocket arena but also much more visible to a certain, quite litigious, Italian firm!

Catch 22

Last edited by smash; 21st September 2015 at 11:08..
Old 21st September 2015, 11:55

Lucky@LeMans is on a distinguished road

It does make you wonder what a well finished car would go for with all the period features etc . Agreed , kit car events are the wrong place for this car type , much better at high end classic events . I'm a regular at Prescott Hill climb and Shelsley Walsh , they are attended by some very wealthy people but who could never dream of owning a real one . A finished car at £25-30k would be small change to some!
Old 21st September 2015, 14:20

Mitchelkitman is on a distinguished road

If the vendor stated he didn't know if it was a Tribute, I wonder what was said to the purchaser? I also wonder if this is a one-off "sale of the Century" for the seller, and "Oops I should have thought about that more" event for the purchaser. It is usual that kits only realise about the value of the parts.
Reminds me of a Frogeye Sprite replica that was for sale at Newark a few years ago (one of the nice reps from Isle of Wight), and the seller was adamant that his (GRP bodied) car was the real thing! Several of us voiced our concerns, but who knows if he eventually found someone who bought a car thinking it was something else?
Old 21st September 2015, 17:12

redratbike is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Towed View Post
not if all the guy did was fit different alloys on it and earn 10k more than when chris sold it ...ouch!,
Old 21st September 2015, 19:20

If the new owner spends another £3 - £4k to finish it then I would say the total spend of £22k would be close to the true value or a bit more .
If you take the view that its an old Z3 with a body kit then it won't have that value in your opinion.
But that applies to everything we buy , your house is just a pile of bricks , some wood , a few bags of plaster and a few lengths of copper tube , some B&Q chip board kitchen units. Once assembled into a house by your friendly builder it is worth £250k+ , you then pay for it over 25 years !!
Old 21st September 2015, 19:24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Towed View Post

I personally think that a lot of these cars get undersold when they are sold at kit kar shows or go on ebay/Gumtree/etc. - Sammio Spyders for £4.5k, top quality MX 250's for about five. I just think they're being pitched at the wrong type of buyer through those outlets.

Finish them properly with period detailing, stick an ad in 'Octane' and park it in the classics for sale area at Goodwood Revival with an '£offers' sign in the window and you might find that people with much deeper pockets start to notice...
I have been thinking along the same lines of late.....
Old 21st September 2015, 19:56

Do I need to get my order in quick before you ramp up your kit prices ??
Old 21st September 2015, 20:14

smash is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tribute Automotive View Post
I have been thinking along the same lines of late.....
Safer several stages back in the transaction just in case "someone" starts to take notice - you don't want a cease and desist on your doorstep
Old 21st September 2015, 21:02

The difference between kit....

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Tribute-Au...item2ca200388e

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/TRIBUTE-AU...item3d03e12651

..... And one-off

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ferrari-25...item25ad22f713
Old 21st September 2015, 21:20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky@LeMans View Post
If the new owner spends another £3 - £4k to finish it then I would say the total spend of £22k would be close to the true value or a bit more .
If you take the view that its an old Z3 with a body kit then it won't have that value in your opinion.
But that applies to everything we buy , your house is just a pile of bricks , some wood , a few bags of plaster and a few lengths of copper tube , some B&Q chip board kitchen units. Once assembled into a house by your friendly builder it is worth £250k+ , you then pay for it over 25 years !!
I don't usually buy the piece of road under a car or live in it though
Old 21st September 2015, 21:43

ericholm is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tribute Automotive View Post
Yes it is a Tribute. It's our old prototype/demo car. We sold it to a German guy at Stoneleigh this year for £7,500 in the unfinished condition shown but sat on 19" alloys.

I had a phone call a couple of weeks ago from the guy who bought it when it showed up at the September Autojumble. The only things to have changed are the wheels, they are now BMW 15" 5 series, and the sale price...... are you all sitting down? It sold for £18,000.
£18k for an auction type sale,? or was it someone pitched up and paid an asking price there and then?, just curious, not that I'm going to sell mine.........yet!
Old 21st September 2015, 23:00

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitchelkitman View Post
I don't usually buy the piece of road under a car or live in it though
I understand what you are saying, but , if you built a house on land you already own would you sell it at the market price or discount the sale to the tune of £75k +/- because you didn't have to buy the plot of land in the first place ??

A car is worth what you are prepared to pay or can afford. You add value by bringing all the parts together as a whole , hence the Tribute SWB.

You can buy a real one or not , you can buy a house in the South East or one up North !
Old 22nd September 2015, 06:27

Roadster is on a distinguished road

What is something worth?
The simple truth is its only worth what someone is willing to pay.
If you have limited funds but you have patience and determination and you learn some skills on the way you can make your own car.

If you have considerable funds and you just get what you want then its how much you are wiling to pay.
Old 22nd September 2015, 16:07

Danny_HUFC is on a distinguished road

If someone built the tribute swb as a ferrari replica and had all the interior done as a replica ie dash etc, then im sure fetching £20k would be no problem at all. But no one has built or is building a replica. When selling these cars that you have built 'how you wanted it' you have to find a buyer that wanted what you did and its difficult, hense the low prices. Im sure if you replicated the ferrari swb as much as the z3 allows then you will get top money.

Hmmmm, i might order myself a kit!
Old 7th October 2015, 15:45

wasz is on a distinguished road

I suspect what happened here was the seller pitched it as a one off with many hours work moulded and adapted from the real thing £offers.

The buyer, having never seen a decent 250 rep elsewhere (and not clouded by the Z3 base) fell over himself as you just can't buy this anywhere else.

He was basing the price on other high end reps and banking on exclusivity. As said, £18k would be reasonable in this case.

He must be kicking himself for not doing his research....imagine his face when you told him you sold it a few months earlier for less than half...(or that he could have ordered up a kit?).

However I think Tribute did miss a trick in this classic (and classic rep) crazy climate. You could have kept the development of this car on the quiet, and finished a mint car (even replacing the interior with replacement dash) and then showed up in the car park of some high end classic events with £offers in the window. In fact you should do that now......?

This is going to be unpopular here:

The Tribute 250SWB is something else. Its very well executed. No insult intended to others but its miles better than any of your other products (I happen to think your other products are very very good so this is exalted higher IMO) and miles better than anything in this fibreglass body conversion sector (the Widow is nice, but its not classic).

I do think pitching this into a higher segment would work. A "premium" kit or even just building low volume bespoke cars (no kits) on low mileage donors and to the best possible standard would net you a waiting list.

Unfortunately you would have to stop supplying kits as you are as this would devalue the product.

This suggestion would put it out of my range, in fact my cheque book has been itching since I first clapped eyes on it......
Old 7th October 2015, 18:19

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasz View Post
I do think pitching this into a higher segment would work. A "premium" kit or even just building low volume bespoke cars (no kits) on low mileage donors and to the best possible standard would net you a waiting list.

Unfortunately you would have to stop supplying kits as you are as this would devalue the product.

This suggestion would put it out of my range, in fact my cheque book has been itching since I first clapped eyes on it......
Something like the Automirage then?

http://www.automirage.co.uk/GT_Project.html