Are you madabout kit cars      
 "We've Got Kit Cars Covered" Information about Madabout-Kitcars.com Contact Madabout-Kitcars.com         Home of UK kit cars - madabout-kitcars.com Various kit car write ups All the latest kit car news Kit car related and general discussion

Search
Manufacturers
Kit Cars
Kit Car Data sheets
Picture Gallery
SVA Knowledgebase
Clubs & Communities
Build cost estimator
Kit cars for sale
Knowledge Base 
KitcarUSA.com
Classic-Kitcars.com

Go Back   Madabout Kitcars Forum > Mad Build Area > General Build Chat

General Build Chat Area for general build chat, questions, tips, tricks and progress

Old 22nd September 2010, 01:20

djiin is on a distinguished road
Smile Newbie with questions..

Hi, this is my first post here, I just found this forum and I'm amazed and so excited with all your cars and the photos and everything.. I'm new to this kitcar world, so as you might imagine, I know next to nothing about them.

I really have a lot of things to ask, so I'd first like to know if I'm at the right place, if it's okay to ask you guys about this, or there's another section for newbs or I can just fire away with all my doubts.
Available from eBay
Old 26th September 2010, 11:19
Enthusiast

eaa53 is on a distinguished road

Strange no one has responded to you up to now. But I am happy to be early with comments.

No one is going to object to you asking questions we were all there once and perhaps we still are.

If you have a question fire away if someone knows the answer they are likely to respond, I have had threads answered weeks after posting so don't expect an immediate response.

Its important to you to look around a lot and ask questions before you jump into the build of any car its not quick and its not always easy.

Go to a local kit car show get to see as many car being built as you can you will be surprised what is happening in your town that you are not aware of, we are a quiet and reserved bunch...not!

Have a look at John's map of builders and go see what they are doing I have not met a builder yet that will not stop for a cup of tea and tell you the story of how they got to where they are.

Expect a build to take twice as long to complete as you plan and real plan costs or they will sky rocket as you buy bits you don't need to to get the fun.

Once its on the road then spend the money on the bits that matter to you.

Enjoy

JohnC
Old 26th September 2010, 23:04

djiin is on a distinguished road

Yeah, although it's been strange I have lots of patience hehe. Thanks for replying!!

Well, I pointed this out in another thread I made, thinking this wasn't the right place to post, but haven't gotten a response to that either:

Quote:
I've just begun in the search for a kit car and the real problem is that I'm not in the UK, I'm in Mexico. Here, this world of kitcars is nonexistent, so I'll have to save quite some money to buy a kit and ship it here. I started wanting a Caterham 7, but I didn't even know there were more cars like that.. when I found out I saw more options and now I want a Minari, but then again, I don't know if I could get a donor car here in Mexico for the Minari.. so I suppose I'll stick to the Seven.

Oh and also, I'd like to do an experiment of sorts. I don't know why most kitcars have Ford engines, but they aren't really my thing.. so I was thinking, get a Seven without engine/tranny, and here I can buy what I would really like in it: a Honda K24/K20 Frankenstein with a its proper 5spd gearbox, but I don't even know if it's possible; if it will fit, or if it's too big for the Seven and perhaps I should either use a smaller engine like a B18 or D16, or.. just stick to the Ford engine.

The main problem remains the same: I'm far, far away from Britain =[