Are you madabout kit cars      
 "We've Got Kit Cars Covered" Information about Madabout-Kitcars.com Contact Madabout-Kitcars.com         Home of UK kit cars - madabout-kitcars.com Various kit car write ups All the latest kit car news Kit car related and general discussion

Search
Manufacturers
Kit Cars
Kit Car Data sheets
Picture Gallery
SVA Knowledgebase
Clubs & Communities
Build cost estimator
Kit cars for sale
Knowledge Base 
KitcarUSA.com
Classic-Kitcars.com

Go Back   Madabout Kitcars Forum > Mad Build Area > Marlin 5exi builds

Marlin 5exi builds Calling all you sexi builders....sorry 5exi builders, show us your progress.

Old 19th January 2016, 22:30
Enthusiast

SDMC001 is on a distinguished road

J

Re the engine noise at 104db, are you running a cat, they can eat some sound
Old 19th January 2016, 22:58

reiz2001 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDMC001 View Post
Alex

The old plate wont help even if you had it, you cant use the number, what you would get is an age related number, and that's based on you having the old details.

As you don't have anything it maybe worth exploring a new reg if you have enough new parts, or at least receipts, a number of us went down that route.

If you do decide the age related, might be of some value if you could buy a old car such as rover 216 ect just for the details.

To answer should you get a plate in advance, no, the DVLA will grant you a number after IVA and checks done to confirm your engine number. Not 100% on how its done these days as I got my car through SVA and the local DVLA inspector came to check my car then I git my number issued.

Hope this helps.

Steve
Thanks Steve, cleared a lot up there - had my eye on a donor vehicle in a 200 VI so hoping to upgrade engine and get plate from that 😁
Old 20th January 2016, 20:30
Enthusiast

bigrich is on a distinguished road

Hi Alex,

I remember this black car coming up 5 years ago....the builder had unfortunately passed away in a motorcycle crash and his wife was selling the car. It was around Warrington somewhere I think? Where are you based?

It is an early Mk1 car with the Mk1 rear suspension....so I would definitely modify that to reduce the bumpsteer. Loads of posts on here about options on how to do so.

Noise - should be fine if you have the cat (mine was an original 1.6k series and less than 98db)....I ran the standard backbox with seperate cat and it was fine. Are you using a calibrated meter to measure it? Many of the smartphone apps aren't any where near to calibration.

Rich
Old 20th January 2016, 22:21

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigrich View Post
Hi Alex,

I remember this black car coming up 5 years ago....the builder had unfortunately passed away in a motorcycle crash and his wife was selling the car. It was around Warrington somewhere I think? Where are you based?

It is an early Mk1 car with the Mk1 rear suspension....so I would definitely modify that to reduce the bumpsteer. Loads of posts on here about options on how to do so.

Noise - should be fine if you have the cat (mine was an original 1.6k series and less than 98db)....I ran the standard backbox with seperate cat and it was fine. Are you using a calibrated meter to measure it? Many of the smartphone apps aren't any where near to calibration.

Rich
Hi Rich, that's right about the vehicle history, or as much as I know at least. thanks for letting me know about the suspension, wish I'd read up more on these cars!! Haha! I'll get there I hope.

It is loud as a 1.6 but I can't tell how loud. It has a cat welded into the main exhaust - hoping it is within any limits as you've suggested.

Got my donor 200 vi tonight so will be dropping in the vvc at some point. Does anyone have any advice about the gearbox mount, clutch cable and gear change?

Cheers,

Alex
Old 20th January 2016, 23:15
Enthusiast

Alex,

I converted mine from 1.6K with R65 gearbox to 1.8VVC using the R65 gearbox still a couple of years ago. Doing it this way is relatively simple and keeps the gearing good for fast acceleration....you swap the engine and transfer the 1.6 clutch and flywheel to the 1.8 so that it mounts to the gearbox. Swap the ECU over and connect up the VVC engine wiring loom...job done. Took me a few weeks to do the swap as I had a few issues airlocking the cooling system!....it works well but if I am brutal I can slip the clutch.The R65 box/clutch is on the limit with 140-160bhp

If you choose to use the 1.8VVC and the PG1 gearbox that it comes with this is a more robust solution. Gearbox mounts are different (not sure how much different), driveshafts on the PG1 box are different and the cable change brackets are different. Not beyond the wit of man to do though. If I remember correctly some of the Rover 200's had a limited slip diff fitted to the PG1 as standard....not sure if this was the BRM or Vi?

Rich
Old 21st January 2016, 21:17

Thanks again Rich, I will have a go at changing the lot, gearbox included. I have access to a workshop so I can fabricate brackets etc, I just need to know what they roughly look like so I may be on the scrounge for images of particular features 😎

I will stick with the PG1 gearbox cable clutch, although I've read hydraulic is better. I just want to keep things simple for time being - get it running properly and have it pass the IVA. I really want to get this beast on the road for late spring.😜

Alex
Old 22nd January 2016, 17:07
Enthusiast

Alex,

Goodluck with the engine, gearbox and ECU swap. The results are worth it in my opinion.

Regarding the IVA - I suggest you get the paperwork sorted out soon and booked. From memory my SVA took a month to come through (Shrewsbury) and then needed a retest 3 weeks later....not many cars pass first time

Rich
Old 24th January 2016, 17:59

Slow progress the weekend but getting there

Are the pg1 engine mounts different to the r65 on the 5exi frame? Is there a kit for this or could one be fabricated easily enough?

Thanks,

Alex
Old 26th January 2016, 20:06
Enthusiast

SDMC001 is on a distinguished road

Alex

Yes the PG1 mounts are different, Marlin used to provide them, might be worth contacting Terry at Marlin.

I went down the same route a Rich with the R65 being married up to an 1800 , does make you smile, my car was built as a 1600, took it up to an 1800VVC.

I would make one suggestion if you do go down the PG1 route and that would be to consider a hydraulic clutch as it will be lighter, the only change you need to make to the box is to change the fulcrum are, think an MGF one would suit.
Old 26th January 2016, 21:52

Quote:
Alex

Yes the PG1 mounts are different, Marlin used to provide them, might be worth contacting Terry at Marlin.

I went down the same route a Rich with the R65 being married up to an 1800 , does make you smile, my car was built as a 1600, took it up to an 1800VVC.

I would make one suggestion if you do go down the PG1 route and that would be to consider a hydraulic clutch as it will be lighter, the only change you need to make to the box is to change the fulcrum are, think an MGF one would suit.
Thanks for the info, I'll have a look how it sits, got a few bits and bobs in the garage and I could probably fabricate something up at work if need be. I guess I just need to site the engine and take it from there.

I know Richard mentioned an air lock with the cooling system - how was this overcome? There is a bleed point on the metal pipe on the k series and there's an elbow just off the radiator top outlet. Is there a particular sequence that is recommended?

Cheers,

Alex
Old 26th January 2016, 22:15

jacksongreen is on a distinguished road

Quote:
J

Re the engine noise at 104db, are you running a cat, they can eat some sound
I am running a cat yes, it's only a 200 cell one tho so maybe a higher cell count could help. I've considered some kind of flow restrictor as well but it's not going to cost that much to get a new system built with a resonator in there to really kill the sound.

J
Old 28th January 2016, 16:02
Enthusiast

limpabit is on a distinguished road

Hi Rich,

Yes still about.

Looking at putting mine up for sale soon. Just not getting time to use it, which is a shame.

Just want to sort out a few niggles (not affecting the running of it).
Old 5th February 2016, 09:33
Enthusiast

eaa53 is on a distinguished road
Default Evening All

Hi Guys

I look in occasionally but having moved the 5Exi on, in favour of a Classic Mini, its not often.

Its a bit like old times reading the questions from the progressing builds.

The wiring was a trudge and I recall spending days cross-legged in the sun at the bottom of the garden working through it.

Mechanical mods abound to make the car work to my satisfaction.

I converted to the MGF gear change and handbrake, as well as a Rover 400 hydraulic clutch.

I still have a lot of the photographs most referred to in posts I made at the time.

JohnC
Old 6th February 2016, 18:50

duncanwarriner is on a distinguished road

Hi John. I'm still around. Still got you blue 5exi. Hope you are well. Cheers Duncan
Old 6th February 2016, 19:38
Enthusiast

eaa53 is on a distinguished road

Good to hear from you Duncan.

The Mini is no substitute for the 1800 VVC I know that.

John
Old 6th February 2016, 22:19

duncanwarriner is on a distinguished road

Hi John. Looking to move the car on if you are interested. Cheers Duncan
Old 3rd March 2016, 09:59

Marlin T16 is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by reiz2001 View Post
haha "Marlin T16" it was you that beat me to that on ebay some months back!!! Hope its going well?

Just bought one as of Wednesday - a 1600 K series none registered vehicle as it stands.

Does anybody have any original build documents or manuals that I can purchase?

Many thanks,

Alex
Yes Alex he said he had another bid on the car, its a great car, and is rapid, quicker than my old RPI tuned 3.9 V8 westfield, love it, ive been doing a few mods over the winter, and looking forward to the warmer weather
Old 4th March 2016, 09:26

Marlin T16 is on a distinguished road

https://goo.gl/photos/1dC5tfWwVWhD7r8C6

Pictures showing upgrades, new seats, and 3" sabelts, new rubber floor mats, steering wheel, dash gauges, rear spoiler, led rear lights.etc etc

Last edited by Marlin T16; 4th March 2016 at 09:34..
Old 25th April 2016, 22:25
Enthusiast

BIG_Fella is on a distinguished road

Hi peeps
I still about
The kit has been collecting dust for about 5 years
Hope to move it to a better location this year and start doing some work on the build