Are you madabout kit cars      
 "We've Got Kit Cars Covered" Information about Madabout-Kitcars.com Contact Madabout-Kitcars.com         Home of UK kit cars - madabout-kitcars.com Various kit car write ups All the latest kit car news Kit car related and general discussion

Search
Manufacturers
Kit Cars
Kit Car Data sheets
Picture Gallery
SVA Knowledgebase
Clubs & Communities
Build cost estimator
Kit cars for sale
Knowledge Base 
KitcarUSA.com
Classic-Kitcars.com

Go Back   Madabout Kitcars Forum > Mad Build Area > General Build Chat

General Build Chat Area for general build chat, questions, tips, tricks and progress

Old 11th April 2021, 17:59

Mitchelkitman is on a distinguished road
Default MOT Exemption

My Rickman has been registered as Historic for some time, and I'm looking at the MOT exemption, not as a means of necessarily avoiding it, but a little time 'flexibility' can be a handy thing. With the limited mileage I do, for instance, spending money improving the vehicle and getting MOT every 2 years would sometimes be more appropriate. Does anyone have experience of the paperwork involved, as it appears from the .gov site that it can't be done online, and can only be done at the Post Office when the tax becomes renewable?
Available from eBay
Old 12th April 2021, 09:50

Jaguartvr is on a distinguished road

My Daytona is 1976 so is tax and MOT exempt. However, I had no proof that the conversion was done over 30 years ago and was expecting problems. But all I did was take the form to the post office and that was it. No questions or comebacks from the DVLA.
I can't find anything online to allow you to change it to MOT exempt, if you have a link please post it up.
If you can do it online I would as it seems to be automatically done.
I just applied for a new V5 on a new car, came through in 2 days, I then changed the numberplate on line and again the new V5 arrived in 2 days.
I then went to tax it but found it was still showing as being taxed and being taxed to the end of September..............Result!!
I suspect the previous owner wasn't aware that the tax ends when a car is sold and didn't claim it back, the car had been sold to a trader so the full V5 minus the trader section was given to me and I did the transfer on my ipad in front of the trader. I don't think this would have happened if the V5 had been sent to Swansea and the change of ownership was inputted by a human.
Old 12th April 2021, 10:08

UPDATE

I decided to have a go at registering my MK2 Jag as MOT exempt. You can do this online using the standard tax website.
I didn't think I would be able to do it as the car is currently in storage and not insured, the other catch is the V5 states year of registration 1993 (when it was fully restored) but it does have a note on the front of the V5 saying manufactured 1961.
So not expecting to be able to do the change, but it flagged up the car was over 40 years old, did I want to register it as MOT exempt-YES- and then it let me tax the car even though it was not insured. Showing on askmid as not insured

If anyone wants to change any details on the V5 and it can be done on line, then now may be the time to do it!
Old 12th April 2021, 17:46

Mitchelkitman is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaguartvr View Post
My Daytona is 1976 so is tax and MOT exempt. However, I had no proof that the conversion was done over 30 years ago and was expecting problems. But all I did was take the form to the post office and that was it. No questions or comebacks from the DVLA.
Did you take just the form V112, or were you also applying for a new VED at the same time?
I suspect the other way I could do it is to declare it Sorn, then go to the Post Office with V112 (but no new form for VED application) or maybe even do the MOT exemption and VED application online (but can it be done with no reminder? Maybe I'll no other yet, but drop in and ask at the Post Office?
Old 12th April 2021, 18:25

Lucky@LeMans is on a distinguished road

I sent my paperwork off to DVLA last weeks to register my Formosa under the rebody rules. It's a 1975 car so I'll be interested to see how I get on with the tax and mot exemptions, I've not done it before ! It's worth noting that some of the insurance companies want your car to be mot'd even if its exempt. Not sure how that would stand up in court if it came to it ? I think your third party liabilities would be covered at the very least !
Old 12th April 2021, 18:57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitchelkitman View Post
Did you take just the form V112, or were you also applying for a new VED at the same time?
I suspect the other way I could do it is to declare it Sorn, then go to the Post Office with V112 (but no new form for VED application) or maybe even do the MOT exemption and VED application online (but can it be done with no reminder? Maybe I'll no other yet, but drop in and ask at the Post Office?
I used the form v112 but you could only use it when applying for the car tax.

With the Jag, I didn't want to tax it as it isn't being used and I didn't think it would go through, but it did, which it shouldn't have. I didn't have a reminder, you don't need one.
2 online glitches this week for me so if you need to update something, now is the time