Are you madabout kit cars      
 "We've Got Kit Cars Covered" Information about Madabout-Kitcars.com Contact Madabout-Kitcars.com         Home of UK kit cars - madabout-kitcars.com Various kit car write ups All the latest kit car news Kit car related and general discussion

Search
Manufacturers
Kit Cars
Kit Car Data sheets
Picture Gallery
SVA Knowledgebase
Clubs & Communities
Build cost estimator
Kit cars for sale
Knowledge Base 
KitcarUSA.com
Classic-Kitcars.com

Go Back   Madabout Kitcars Forum > Mad Chat > General chatter

General chatter This is the place to talk about anything kit car related that doesn't come under any of the other categories

Old 26th July 2013, 22:12

Canny is on a distinguished road
Default new member...big idea

hello there all. just joined the forum so just saying hi but already have a question...lol
I have joined the forum as I have a build planned and have searched the tinternet and read through all 44 pages of the sva guide and read countless pages on the vosa site but cannot find if there are any restrictions or guidance with relevance to unique car builds in the uk. I plan to design and build a car powered by a motorbike engine. I do not want to get into the build to later find I have not adhered to certain fundamentals in this situation which may have an adverse affect on passing an sva test. Has anyone here been in a similar situation?

any info would be greatfully received.

many thanks

Canny
Available from eBay
Old 27th July 2013, 20:54

chrislandy is on a distinguished road

Have a hunt around and find the B/IVA test manual on the web i.e. the test book, there are certain criteria that need to be adhered to but (a big generalisation) biggest probs with bike engined cars are the reverse gear and noise.

The manual is your guidance and should be your go-to book
Old 28th July 2013, 00:24

many thanks chris I will definately check that out. Have u or anyone u know gone through the process?

many thanks

Canny
Old 29th July 2013, 09:48

Mine went through the SVA rather than the IVA, quite a few on here have been through the IVA recently so just have a good hunt around on the site.

If you build it to the manual and to a good standard then it should pass OK.

low-cost builders site is another good source of info, also search for BEC or Bike Engined Cars as there are a few sites dedicated to that too.

Good luck, but it mainly requires most nights and weekends in the garage building the thing for a good year or two...
Old 29th July 2013, 21:00

thanks for the help. my only issue there is I will have no manual for my build as I intend to design my own chassis. I will probably loosley base the design on an existing frame design maybe somethin like the mev sonic 7 but as it will not be a carbon copy i was just wondering where i would stand?
I really appreciate your input tho and am ready for the long hall...lol. but thats where all the fun is.
Old 29th July 2013, 21:03

sorry....it just clicked. by manual you mean the iva test manual?
Old 30th July 2013, 08:04

Get hold of a book on chassis design as most of them have rules of thumb for types of material and thicknesses etc A lot of the books are either rather fluffy and wooly on details or so detailed you need multiple MEng and PhD's to understand them but there are a couple I have found which are good. The might be old but the principles have not changed for what you are planning.

Staniforths "race and rally car source book" is a good one
Costin's "race car and sports car chassis design" is another good one (lots of pictures with scale bars on them)

The tester won't ask for calculations but they look over the car to make sure its braced where expected and the build quality is good.

and yes, by manual I mean the IVA test manual