Are you madabout kit cars      
 "We've Got Kit Cars Covered" Information about Madabout-Kitcars.com Contact Madabout-Kitcars.com         Home of UK kit cars - madabout-kitcars.com Various kit car write ups All the latest kit car news Kit car related and general discussion

Search
Manufacturers
Kit Cars
Kit Car Data sheets
Picture Gallery
SVA Knowledgebase
Clubs & Communities
Build cost estimator
Kit cars for sale
Knowledge Base 
KitcarUSA.com
Classic-Kitcars.com

Go Back   Madabout Kitcars Forum > Mad Build Area > General Build Chat

General Build Chat Area for general build chat, questions, tips, tricks and progress

Old 30th June 2009, 13:25

ins0mn1ac is on a distinguished road
Exclamation Spitfire 1500 frame, need fiberglass!

Hello, i am currently in the middle of a year long Frame-up restoration of a 1980 triumph spitfire 1500. The metal body had some very alarming pockets of rust in the usual places; the rocker pannels and battery case, as well as the shelf behind the engine. Instead of getting the metal work done on the body which costs a fairly substantial amount, I was wondering if anyone knew where to find a fiberglass shell that would fit the frame. Or even if anyone knew what shells would be interchangeable. I've heard and seen jaguar, dunebuggy, and volkswagon shells fitting onto the frame, but i have not been able to find any sites that might sell these. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Available from eBay
Old 30th June 2009, 14:08

chrislandy is on a distinguished road

www.rimmerbros.co.uk is a good source of british parts which are no longer available
Old 30th June 2009, 15:05
Enthusiast

MartinClan is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by ins0mn1ac View Post
Hello, i am currently in the middle of a year long Frame-up restoration of a 1980 triumph spitfire 1500. The metal body had some very alarming pockets of rust in the usual places; the rocker pannels and battery case, as well as the shelf behind the engine. Instead of getting the metal work done on the body which costs a fairly substantial amount, I was wondering if anyone knew where to find a fiberglass shell that would fit the frame. Or even if anyone knew what shells would be interchangeable. I've heard and seen jaguar, dunebuggy, and volkswagon shells fitting onto the frame, but i have not been able to find any sites that might sell these. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
A company called Vincent used to make a fibreglass body for the Spitfire called the Hurricane. Very tasty it looked too. Still seems to be a register...

www.vincenthurricane.co.uk

Robin
Old 1st July 2009, 02:16

ins0mn1ac is on a distinguished road

that site looks great, MartinClan, unfortunatley i do not see any prices, or even a hint that they are still in the bussiness of making these fiberglass shells. however i have e-mailed them with an inquiry and will let you know how it turns out

Perhaps I'm being too specific? I'm looking for something of a kitcar kit... perhaps i need some guidance in all of this, im a little new haha

Last edited by ins0mn1ac; 1st July 2009 at 02:21..