Are you madabout kit cars      
 "We've Got Kit Cars Covered" Information about Madabout-Kitcars.com Contact Madabout-Kitcars.com         Home of UK kit cars - madabout-kitcars.com Various kit car write ups All the latest kit car news Kit car related and general discussion

Search
Manufacturers
Kit Cars
Kit Car Data sheets
Picture Gallery
SVA Knowledgebase
Clubs & Communities
Build cost estimator
Kit cars for sale
Knowledge Base 
KitcarUSA.com
Classic-Kitcars.com

Go Back   Madabout Kitcars Forum > Mad Build Area > Marlin 5exi builds

Marlin 5exi builds Calling all you sexi builders....sorry 5exi builders, show us your progress.

Old 10th August 2011, 16:45
Enthusiast

eaa53 is on a distinguished road
Default Marlin 5xi Handbrake Modification

Marlin 5xi Handbrake Modification

The thread is essentially the fitting of 259mm rear disks with the prime objective to improve the handbrake efficiency of a standard Rover 200/25 doner.

The calliper, carriers and disks were sourced from a MG ZR 160 2001/-, the ones I used were recycled from a scrapyard but new could be purchased if required. New would cost an extra £30 which is the returns set by the re-manufacturers. They will not allow a 200 calliper to be returned in exchange for a 160 calliper.

Disks are Rover/MG ZR 160 259mm with the same offset at the std Rover 200.
The callipers have a 34mm piston the 200/25 used a 28mm piston.
The carriers are the 60mm throw compared to the 200/25 which is 45mm throw.
The pads are approx 20% larger in surface area.

Having set the scene for the new hardware I should also point out that my rear uprights are different to yours, does not matter what you have, mine are custom built and are different. The only difference of interest to this installation is that I have used leading edge braking not the conventional trailing edge braking. The standard 200/25 carriers and callipers fit as normal to the early std upright as supplied by Marlin.

The only other point of interest is the handbrake cable its route to the calliper and the Marlin supplied cable end.

This picture shows the handbrake cable end at the calliper.

The Rover fitment has two bolts holding it in place, the Marlin conversion has only one. It should also be noted that the Marlin cable end/stop, positions the cable out of line with the hasp connection to the handbrake quadrant on the calliper, if you like in both the x and y axis. This could be one component of the efficiency loss for the set up on the 5Exi handbrake. If the cable pulls square on to the quadrant on the calliper and not at a 15 deg angle if may pull up better. However this is not my point the Marlin cable end/stop may mechanically foul the bearing housing of the upright so make sure the stop does not prevent you assembling the set up on the axle.

In my own case I stood off the stop from its mounting to allow for a better alignment but this is not detailed. The fouling of the bearing housing will limit the other axis alignment.

Original set up on my upright.

These shows the 160 calliper set up in place NS and OS you can tell by the location of the suspension spring.

This shows the hasp connection and the general set up.

… and viewed from the top.

The carrier, disk and pads in place showing the pad coverage of the disk.

Its pointless me writing up the step by step assembly, if you competent to be building a kit car you don't need me to tell you how to assemble a set of callipers on a wheel.

All I will say for assistance to the less capable is assemble each component separately, the disk has to be fitted first, the carrier and pads next and then the calliper.

The set up of the auto adjustment i.e. the piston height to suit your pad and disk thickness is technically covered elsewhere on the net I am not repeating it here.

Does it work? Good questions I will add brake efficiency results at some stage, the original set up was tested at 16% the MoT pass is 15% this result is affected by the stated weight of the car being tested.....

When I wheeled the car back into the garage and applied the handbrake it did seem to stop better than before but this is subjective and no judgement of the success of the mod should be implied.

.. and good luck with your changes.

JohnC

spotted points for the picky:-
  • the paint will wear off the friction areas on first application of the brakes
  • the centre axle nut was mechanically locked after I finished the brake install
  • I did not let the red paint dry long enough before assembling, I thought over night would be long enough
  • I did release all the air from the system at the end
  • I did not apply copper grease to the pictured installation
  • Thread-loc will be added to the threads after formal testing
Available from eBay
Old 11th August 2011, 06:22
Enthusiast

limpabit is on a distinguished road

Hi John.

Great write up. There say pictures speak a thousand words.

I noticed you have mounted the caliper the opposite way up to me (handbrake spring at the bottom instead of top). I always though it would need the spring at the top for bleeding.

At least this give me another option when adjusting the carrier mountings.

Do you have any pictures of the carrier mounting lugs on the hub with the carrier?
Old 11th August 2011, 08:52
Enthusiast

I did say they are custom uprights.

because I have swaped from trailing to leading I could/should have moved the OS to the NS and vici verci, however if you do that the handbrake cable really does become a problem to connect.

The small issue of bleeding the brakes with a bit of thought is the only down side.

You wanted a picture like this... ?

Or this.....?

The picture is a bit dark but you can see both rear bolt heads.

The technical bit of welding the carrier jugs on, in the correct orientation and distance from the centre line of rotation is the clue here.

I know a man that can have the lugs precision cut and with enough skill to position them to my specific requirements.
Old 11th August 2011, 12:28
Enthusiast

John, the pictures are wonderful thank you. Explains so much!

I'm going to be looking at getting these done over winter and get this problem sorted out.

Would you mind asking your contact, if he would mind doing the cutting/welding/fitting for me please over the winter period? Also, a price and what I would need to send. I'm thinking hubs, discs, calipers and carriers.
Old 9th November 2011, 18:12
Enthusiast

Default IVA Brake Test Results

If it helps I now have the IVA brake test results and its possible to judge the improvement of the upgrade.

To refresh; for an MoT the handbrake efficiency must be tested at greater than 16%. The IVA requires the tested result to be 18%.

The standard Rover 200 set up when fitted to the 5Exi was resulting in poor performance and some have experienced MoT failure because of the tested efficiency. A general review indicates that the Rover 200 rear braking system is only just sufficient for use on the original car.

One option is to fit the larger diameter MG160 set up.

The tested results for the brake on my upgraded 800Kg kit are as follows.

Service Brake eff. % .....69.38
Park Brake eff. % .....22.63
Depleted eff. % ......48.75

Front Brake eff. % .....39.5(L)
Rear brake eff. % .....29.88

(Depleted I think is no servo vacuum.)

Hope this helps.

JohnC
Old 9th November 2011, 18:44
Enthusiast

Hi John.

Thanks for the information.

I'm interested in getting my handbrake retested at the MOT station now all the modifications have been done.