Are you madabout kit cars      
 "We've Got Kit Cars Covered" Information about Madabout-Kitcars.com Contact Madabout-Kitcars.com         Home of UK kit cars - madabout-kitcars.com Various kit car write ups All the latest kit car news Kit car related and general discussion

Search
Manufacturers
Kit Cars
Kit Car Data sheets
Picture Gallery
SVA Knowledgebase
Clubs & Communities
Build cost estimator
Kit cars for sale
Knowledge Base 
KitcarUSA.com
Classic-Kitcars.com

Go Back   Madabout Kitcars Forum > Mad Chat > General chatter

General chatter This is the place to talk about anything kit car related that doesn't come under any of the other categories

Old 2nd August 2004, 14:33
Kit Car Dreamer

LocostDom is on a distinguished road
Default Fitting a ford type 9 gearbox to a ford X-flow engine?

Hi

After having my locost project on hold for the last three years (due to illness and the loss of my workshop) I'm keen to get it started again and hopfully on the road as soon as possible.

I've got the chassis finished, as well as the bodywork, the suspention and running gear fitted and it is currently at the rolling chassis stage.

But i would like to next fit the engine and gear box.

When i started to project i maneged to get hold of an old Ford 1600 X-flow engine, oringanly from a crapi, but later used in classic anglia racing. The eninge is in good condition dispite being used for racing, it has been stage three tuned with twin webber 45's on it. As i got it from a friend who swopped it for an old computer hard drive i am very keen to us it in my locost.

I also wish to use a five speed gearbox in my locost, i maneged to also pick up a good condition low milage 1600 type 9 box out of a ford Sierra.

I've not yet touched the engine or box, but before doing anything to them i wish to know a little more about doing it.

I have read in Jim Dudleys book 'how to build your own Tiger Avon sports car' that the box will bolt onto the x-flow without anything needed to be done to them.

But then i have read in 'Rebuilding and tuning ford X-flow and pinto engines' that you will need a new clutch, as the X-flow clutch's have 20 splines on the clutch shaft, and the type 9 has 23 splines. This book also says that to do this you need a new clutch, ford part number 5010151. I have asked my local ford main dealer if they could sell me this, they claimed that no part or part number existed.

I was just wondering if anyone knows anything or has any ideas about this.

Thanks, Dom

p.s great site by the way, i found it a few days ago and have been lurking ever since, i decided to join today.
Available from eBay
Old 9th August 2004, 10:48
Big Cheese

JG has disabled reputation

Hi, Found this thread doing a google which goes back to 1996. A little way down mentions the same scenario you have and does mention doing a modification yourself (but doesn't go into any detail)

http://members.aol.com/bigjoe39/capri/dec.htm

Didn't really go much further down the thread as it looks a bit gargantiun (sp?)

Would be worth trying the Capri owners club as well I would have thought.

Cheers, John

Madabout-kitcars.com