Are you madabout kit cars      
 "We've Got Kit Cars Covered" Information about Madabout-Kitcars.com Contact Madabout-Kitcars.com         Home of UK kit cars - madabout-kitcars.com Various kit car write ups All the latest kit car news Kit car related and general discussion

Search
Manufacturers
Kit Cars
Kit Car Data sheets
Picture Gallery
SVA Knowledgebase
Clubs & Communities
Build cost estimator
Kit cars for sale
Knowledge Base 
KitcarUSA.com
Classic-Kitcars.com

Go Back   Madabout Kitcars Forum > Mad Build Area > Sammio Builds and discussions

Sammio Builds and discussions Sammio bodied car builds and specials

Old 9th January 2012, 19:09

davecymru is on a distinguished road

Cheers! I'm optimistic, but realy nervous!

The new indicators were fitted and the carbs overhauled this weekend and it makes the world of difference, despite the fact I'd bought the wrong needles so i didn't fit those!

I also bit the bullet and cut and re-welded some extra patches into the passenger bulkhead so i've not got any more rubbing. Although i do have hair speckled with underbody sealant and i'm hoping it will dry by the morning! (on the car that is, not my hair!)

I also found a last minute problem with the MR2 seat belt clasps i'd fitted. Basically despite looking fine, they were too short and at such an angle that with the seats fitted i couldn't easily/quickly plug the seat belts in and i just wasn't happy with that! It's a good job i tested them before tomorrow! So i've just whipped those out, cut them, welded some steel bar extensions in, ground them flat and painted them silver and they look and work fine now <phew>

And i've just come back in after a final soggy run down the lane (wind "deflector" my @rse! ) and it all went a lot more smoothly although i did have some fun trying to get into 3rd gear! But hopefully that won't affect the MOT?
Old 9th January 2012, 19:16

lancelot link is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by davecymru View Post
And i've just come back in after a final soggy run down the lane (wind "deflector" my @rse! )

wind deflection - sort of ....rain deflection - no !!

thinking of doing Sammio rain macs , hats and brolly's as a package and marketing it as WET WEATHER GEAR.
Old 9th January 2012, 20:17

Mister Towed is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancelot link View Post
wind deflection - sort of ....rain deflection - no !!

thinking of doing Sammio rain macs , hats and brolly's as a package and marketing it as WET WEATHER GEAR.
Good idea. BTW, how's my tonneau cover coming along Gary? My grand plan is to keep the passenger side zipped over when I'm flying solo and put the heater on full blast to keep my lower half toastie. If my top half freezes then I'll be fine on average.
Old 10th January 2012, 13:01

Fail

Although in fairness, he was giving it a once over before doing a proper MOT and when he started noticing a few things that would fail the MOT he basically just made a rectification list for me rather than formally fail an MOT. Which was appreciated.

So from his inspection, here's the list of things that need attention (for my reference as much as your interest):

1) Windscreen or wind deflector? -- i was advised that if this was left on for the re-test then he'd have to phone the ministry for advice before being able to test it as even though i look over it, he looks through it!)
2) Headlight aim too low -- we knew this would need adjusting so I'm fine with this.
3) O/S Front wheel bearing noise -- I'll re-do the brakes first and then investigate this.
4) Front brakes binding -- I'd told him it hadn't been driven in a while so may need a test drive to loosen things up, but i guess I'm going to have to strip and rebuild all the brakes!
5) Rear brakes binding -- as above
6) N/S & O/S front springs incomplete! -- Advised to fit proper lowering shocks or similar before re-test!
7)O/S drive shaft rubbing on flexi-hose. -- I'm surprised at this as I'd checked the drive train, so I'll have to have a look at this to see what he's on about.
8) N/S rear lower suspension joint, excessive wear. -- This sounds like the sort of thing i was expecting, so i'm fine with looking into and rectifying this one.
9) Brake balance - let's rebuild and then check again.
10) Brake efficiency - again, lets check again after the rebuild.
11) unable to check all w/bearings due to binding brakes -- fair enough.
12) some of the older welding repairs need attention. -- there were one or two older welds that need inspecting and possibly correcting.

So ignoring the brakes, suspension and brake related issues, there's only a few things to check. Although i will now have to fit proper lowering shocks! I'll also need to buy another pair of unmodified Vitesse springs.....

Serves me right for not completely stripping and rebuilding the donor i suppose! ho hum.
Old 10th January 2012, 13:15

garyh is on a distinguished road
Default A fine tooth comb...

I suppose this is when you think its worth spending more on a doner? Sounds like your spraying passed Its crap weather at the moment, so you're not missing anything. You've still done a great job Question, is he saying that when you cut springs down, you can no longer use standard shocks?

garyh.

http://garyssammiospyderbuild.blogspot.com/

Last edited by garyh; 10th January 2012 at 13:16.. Reason: copy amend
Old 10th January 2012, 13:19

Quote:
Originally Posted by garyh View Post
Question, is he saying that when you cut springs down, you can no longer use standard shocks?
yup.
Old 10th January 2012, 14:59

Being someone who doesn't like the unknown, i've just done some initial investigations and subsequently placed an order for a few bits n bobs with Rimmers. I'm now a lot happier that the fail list isn't as serious as i first worried it was. And as Gary says, it's all down to trying to save a few quid on the donor!

What i've found is:

Quote:

1) Windscreen or wind deflector? -- i was advised that if this was left on for the re-test then he'd have to phone the ministry for advice before being able to test it as even though i look over it, he looks through it!)
I'm just going to remove this for the next MOT as i've re-tested how i sit and i look WAY over it!

Quote:
3) O/S Front wheel bearing noise
i couldn't hear / feel anything? but i'll double check.

Quote:
4) Front brakes binding -- I'd told him it hadn't been driven in a while so may need a test drive to loosen things up, but i guess I'm going to have to strip and rebuild all the brakes!
Wheels turn fine and the 'binding' seems very minimal and due to lack of use. That said i'm going to remove and clean and re-fit everything for peace of mind.

Quote:
5) Rear brakes binding
Took drums off and while they're not completely dead they do need overhauling, so new shoes and some other bits n bobs have been ordered. This one is a fair cop!

Quote:
6) N/S & O/S front springs incomplete! -- Advised to fit proper lowering shocks or similar before re-test!
I've bit the bullet and ordered a set of GAZ height adjustables and some new springs to go in them. TBH i wanted to fit these anyway, so this was a good excuse!

Quote:
7)O/S drive shaft rubbing on flexi-hose.
only very, very, very slightly and it's all due to the inner flexi hose bracket having been re-welded too low at some point in the past 43 years. So easily fixable

Quote:
8) N/S rear lower suspension joint, excessive wear. -- This sounds like the sort of thing i was expecting, so i'm fine with looking into and rectifying this one.
yup, i've got problems with trunion wear. (i still feel like adding 'phanaar' when i talk about trunions, sorry!) replacement lining kit ordered.

Quote:
12) some of the older welding repairs need attention. -- there were one or two older welds that need inspecting and possibly correcting.
they all look fine to me, so when i've done all other jobs I'll womble up to the garage and get him to come and show me which ones concerned him.
Old 10th January 2012, 15:01

Seeing as i was a bit down heartened, I forgot to add the good news.

It did pass the emissions test and he said that the engine sounded like it was running fine, which is good to hear after the last minute carb rebuild the weekend
Old 10th January 2012, 16:01

Bad luck with such a long snag list but it sounds like you're reacting to it positively as just another challenge.

Bit concerned about the incomplete springs thing though seeing as how I've cut mine down so much. Is he not being just a bit picky? I'd be interested to hear Gary J's take on that one.

Are the ride height adjustable dampers capable of being adjusted far enough without binding up full length springs I wonder?

Anyway, good luck overhauling the brakes and sorting the other bits.
Old 10th January 2012, 17:00

Psycho pops is on a distinguished road

Obviously just in the testers opinion, I know Trevors passed first time radical lowered springs, same screen just luck of the draw.
Old 10th January 2012, 17:16

Psycho pops is on a distinguished road

Emissions is a visual on a car of this age isn't it?
Old 10th January 2012, 17:27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psycho pops View Post
Emissions is a visual on a car of this age isn't it?
yup, visual smoke check and check of consistent tick-over
Old 10th January 2012, 17:42

Been checking out the available height adjustable shocks. Seems like they all come in at between 180 and 260 quid unless you found a cheaper supplier?

Have you asked how much you can lower the front end on the adjusters alone?

It looks like they have about 6" of possible travel but it appears most of that would leave the ride height higher than standard.

To me it looks like you can only drop the front about 2" by winding the adjusters fully down, and if you add the uprated, 1" lowered springs that would make about a 3" drop in total, which should be enough, but I wanted more than enough.

Anyway, I'll be interested to see the result once your adjustables are fitted and I'm really looking forward to seeing your car on the road.
Old 10th January 2012, 18:48

When it comes to brakes etc. I think a conscientious tester is a good thing.
The problem with a lot of garages nowadays is they just don't do enough classic car testing and a lot of the fitters don't really know how to test an older car....
You have to treat them a little differently....not ignoring issues but accepting that the car is not up to modern spec.

We have , and lots of others have , MOT'd cars with cut down springs on the front ....I use two different garages and neither has an issue. I have had cars fail if the spring is loose when the car is jacked up , ie. you can move it about ...rectification is done by wiring the spring in place ! Garage decision , not mine.

I think you may have had either a very strict tester or an unsure one who therefore erred on the side of caution to cover his ignorance ....

The wind deflector fail totally backs that up as thats just f*cking stupid !!

I guess if you deal with the issues raised , its peace of mind for 12 months....
Old 10th January 2012, 19:08

Found the VOSA MOT testers guide on the 'net and it says this:

Where a coil spring is incomplete, cracked or
fractured at an extreme end where the spring
locates on the spring mount, it should only be
rejected if:
 the function of the spring is impaired
 following jacking, the spring ends do not
locate correctly when the vehicle is lowered
into the normal running position without
assistance
These criteria should also be applied to springs that
have been deliberately shortened or modified in
order to lower the suspension.

(Full guide here) http://mottesters.co.uk/files/specia...n%20Manual.pdf

So, the spring can actually run out of travel at full extension and clank around loose so long as it self-seats back in the cups when the weight goes back on. Interesting...

Methinks your chap might have been bullied at school. By someone with a slammed motor.
Old 10th January 2012, 19:19

That kind of backs up my clanky but wired in place scenario.....by wiring the spring to the cup it guides itself back to its seated position....

If you read the regs as written though , it doesn't even suggest that is needed...

Problem is , in my experience , some testers don't like their ignorance pointed out , the re-test could take on a different vibe if you have made him look a bit foolish ( shouldn't make a difference but we are dealing with humans here ! )so you have to decide whether to quote the regs at him or just replace them .....at £200 a pop , I think I'd chance the argument first !
Old 10th January 2012, 19:22

Just a thought Dave .....Are you so far away from Pat in Collumpton that mot'ing your car at his garage would be impractical ?

Pats car clearly passed with cut coils and wind deflector intact ...

Might be cheaper than new shocks.............
Old 10th January 2012, 19:40

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancelot link View Post
Just a thought Dave .....Are you so far away from Pat in Collumpton that mot'ing your car at his garage would be impractical ?

Pats car clearly passed with cut coils and wind deflector intact ...

Might be cheaper than new shocks.............
That's a sensible suggestion...

Once you've sorted the brakes (and other genuine safety issues) so long as you book an MOT at a garage, technically, you can legally drive your car to the testing station for its MOT, even if it's some distance away.

You won't get away with booking a test in nine months time at a garage in the Highlands then driving around willy nilly while telling the traffic cops that will inevitably stop you that you're just en-route for the test (and people really have tried that one!).

And if the Police don't get you then DVLA probably will. Fine for driving with a long overdue tax disc? two grand plus all the back tax since the vehicle was last taxed. Let's see, mine's been off the road since 1998...
Old 10th January 2012, 19:42

A bit too far sadly and my local garage is _really_ local, as in 3 doors up the lane from me and i do live in a small village!
He is known for being a bit of a stickler, but as this is the first time i've done anything like this (remember i work in IT for a day job, so nothing spanner related!) i wanted to take it to him knowing that he would be that thorough in order to drive me on a bit.

Removing the wind deflector for the test, fine, if that's the way he wants it then i can work with him and it does show that he's giving me an 'option' there.

Then all the other points he found, apart from the suspension, i'm fine with.
It just comes back to the shocks. If i didn't have the money and i wasn't borderline on getting those shocks anyway, then i'd mod what i've got and get a re-test elsewhere and just put up with the agro. But as he's also volunteered to pop down to mine double check things such as the welding before the re-test, i think keeping him on-site is worth it for me for the time being.
Old 10th January 2012, 19:47

garyh is on a distinguished road
Default Dave, don't show him the forum....

At least until after the MOT