Are you madabout kit cars      
 "We've Got Kit Cars Covered" Information about Madabout-Kitcars.com Contact Madabout-Kitcars.com         Home of UK kit cars - madabout-kitcars.com Various kit car write ups All the latest kit car news Kit car related and general discussion

Search
Manufacturers
Kit Cars
Kit Car Data sheets
Picture Gallery
SVA Knowledgebase
Clubs & Communities
Build cost estimator
Kit cars for sale
Knowledge Base 
KitcarUSA.com
Classic-Kitcars.com

Go Back   Madabout Kitcars Forum > Mad Build Area > Marlin Sportster, Cabrio, Berlinetta and Roadster builds

Marlin Sportster, Cabrio, Berlinetta and Roadster builds Enthused or Confused about your vintage Marlin build? Ask away here or show off your build.

Old 2nd September 2007, 22:57
Enthusiast

Patrick is on a distinguished road

Looking good Peter I put the headlights behind, like the look better especially with the spots on there
Old 20th October 2007, 21:01
Enthusiast

peterux is on a distinguished road

Spurred on by Patrick's SVA pass, I worked on my car today. Its getting a little chilly, so time to refresh the anti-freeze. The first lot had got pretty murky so I had put some radflush in a few weeks back to get rid of all the rust and gunge from the engine which sat empty for nearly three years.

Whilst I had the coolant drained, I fitted a new bottom rad hose as the one previously fitted was from the donor. (Anyone wanting to copy this design should note that this hose is in fact a Thermostat top hose with about 10mm trimmed off. It fits the 35mm plumbing pipe and radiator bottom outlet perfectly)
I also fitted the temperature sender for my temperature gauge.

Next job was to fit the extra spacer between the brake servo and master brake cylinder. Thanks to Stuart for the idea and Robin for the design plus Patrick for posting the drawing. (Pictures on my Flickr site)
I had a little drive up and down to test the brakes and it worked a treat.

Whilst running the engine to re-circulate the ant-freeze, I solved my misfire problem.
This has been bugging me for the last few weeks. By listening to the injectors by the old technique of a long screwdriver resting on each injector and the handle pressed against one ear, I discovered that injector number 6 was not firing. I first suspected the connector on the side of the engine beneath the inlet manifold but that didn't seem to be the problem.
Then I tried a sharp tap on the side of the injector while the engine was running. That instantly fixed the problem, the injector started up and the misfire was gone.
Engine and exhaust note now sound much smoother.
I had had the injectors utrasonically cleaned before I re-assmbled the engine, so I assume that this one was just a but gummed up from not running. I'll keep an eye on this one incase it is faulty.
I also, fitted the hose clips in the steering rack to limit the range and stop the front axle uprights hitting the front shock absorbers.

I few test drives up and down the garage block confirmed everything worked fine but there is more work required to get it to self centre from full lock.

Some pictures here.............

http://www.flickr.com/photos/peters-bmwmarlin/

Last edited by peterux; 20th October 2007 at 21:03.. Reason: typos
Old 20th October 2007, 21:45
Enthusiast

looks good Peter

Try a bit of toe out should help it self centre, toe in stopped it self centring. Not tried parallel yet but that's what Marin recommended. Try the camber at -0.75 ish. Not measured the caster but its got 2 washers at the front and 3 at the back (now the wishbones up the right way it works just fine!)
Old 23rd October 2007, 21:23
Enthusiast

AndyDane is on a distinguished road
Default Servo...

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterux View Post
Next job was to fit the extra spacer between the brake servo and master brake cylinder. Thanks to Stuart for the idea and Robin for the design plus Patrick for posting the drawing. (Pictures on my Flickr site)
I had a little drive up and down to test the brakes and it worked a treat.
Peter,

can't find anything about the servo earlier - what was your original problem? My brakes need a hard push and I have to be honest to say I don't think I can get the wheels to lock up even with full pressure on the pedal. Think it's the same problem you had.

I'm thinking it could also be sealant - I can't see any round the servo and marlin mounting plate - guessing that if there isn't any I'll have a potential vacuum leak.

So I'm thinking of unbolting it and just adding a little standard kitchen bathroom sealer because I have some to hand...

Andy

PS - I do like the spots - on next years show shopping list!!
Old 23rd October 2007, 21:34
Enthusiast

Original problem on our cars was that the pedal did nothing until 1/2 down. The spacer means that you instantly get movement on the master cylinder.

I've got silicon all round the join between the master cylinder and servo. Had a big vacuum leak there. Also used that white tape you get from the plumbing supply section of DIY stores on the vacuum pipe join to the servo which has sorted all the leaks.

If you do have a leak fixing it will improve how your engine runs too
Old 23rd October 2007, 21:37
Enthusiast

AndyDane is on a distinguished road

hadn't noticed any engine issues but I'm all for more!!

it may be sealed and there isn't any leaked out but I'll check...
Andy
Old 23rd October 2007, 21:44
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyDane View Post
Peter,

can't find anything about the servo earlier - what was your original problem? My brakes need a hard push and I have to be honest to say I don't think I can get the wheels to lock up even with full pressure on the pedal. Think it's the same problem you had.

I'm thinking it could also be sealant - I can't see any round the servo and marlin mounting plate - guessing that if there isn't any I'll have a potential vacuum leak.

So I'm thinking of unbolting it and just adding a little standard kitchen bathroom sealer because I have some to hand...

Andy

PS - I do like the spots - on next years show shopping list!!
Thanks, the spots are actually bargins off eBay,(£37 if i recall) but may rust through as they are not brass like the headlamps.

Brake problem was that there was a lot of slack between the servo pushrod and the master cylinder. You can read more in one of Patricks FAQ on his website.

I can lock my brakes from only about 5mph but I still have the crappy tyres off the donor fitted, so not much grip. You can test the servo effect as follows. With the engine switched off, press hard and hold the pressure on the pedal. Then start the engine and the effect of the servo will be the pedal will sink towards the floor a little bit. If it doesn't, you have no servo effect and yes, it might be the seal around the master cylinder.
I think bathroom sealant contains acetic acid, so probably best to get something from Halfords. Look for something like RTV silicon sealant.

We need to see more pictures of your car out on the open road!

Last edited by peterux; 23rd October 2007 at 21:46.. Reason: addtional info added.
Old 28th October 2007, 21:08
Enthusiast

Did a bit more lamp fitting and wiring this weekend..........
regards to all,

Peter
Old 4th November 2007, 21:20
Enthusiast

Fitted the side bonnets this weekend......
they look great!
Latest tip, is fit the side bonnets before installing the headlights as they get in the way when you drill the fixing holes.

On to the bonnet hinge next, if the weather holds next weekend.
Old 5th November 2007, 07:02
Enthusiast

Rich is on a distinguished road

very nice!
Old 5th November 2007, 12:04
Enthusiast

MartinClan is on a distinguished road

Looking great. It's amazing how it quickly becomes to look like a car once you fit the bodywork.

Best

Robin
Old 5th November 2007, 17:39
Enthusiast

Very nice, I remember getting to that stage, as Robin said it really starts looking like a car
Old 11th November 2007, 17:43
Enthusiast

Started on my bonnet tops and hinge this weekend..........

One of those jobs that takes three times as long as you think it will!
Old 11th November 2007, 19:14
Enthusiast

MartinClan is on a distinguished road

Looking good Peter. I see your hinge is stainless - mine is brass. Did the hinge come from Marlin? (Stainless seems a much better idea than brass)

Robin
Old 11th November 2007, 22:22
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartinClan View Post
Looking good Peter. I see your hinge is stainless - mine is brass. Did the hinge come from Marlin? (Stainless seems a much better idea than brass)

Robin
Yes, Marlin supplied, it was an option that I had to pay £15 extra. Had to buy a brand new titanium drill bit to drill all the holes!
Old 12th November 2007, 13:53
Enthusiast

That's looking really good (I think I'm getting bonnet fitment envy! Nice shutlines )
Old 12th November 2007, 20:56
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
That's looking really good (I think I'm getting bonnet fitment envy! Nice shutlines )
Thanks, but you might have noticed that there are no close up photos yet!
Old 18th December 2007, 22:08
Enthusiast

Not exactly car build progress but i've been having a huge clear out so that finally on Sunday I was able to bring the car home.
So after 4 years from starting to strip the donor the car is now in my home garage and I can say goodbye to working in the unlit, unheated lock-up garage. (I will miss the old lock-up )
The garage floor was treated to a fresh coat of International garage floor paint (great stuff!)

The plan was to push it the half mile in the cold winters sunshine but we got half way and ran out of puff (so we had to resort to a little petrol to help )

Old 19th December 2007, 08:44
Enthusiast

GreatOldOne is on a distinguished road

Ah, International Floor paint. Great stuff - and an unmistakable aroma for the Missus to moan about for several days as it permiates the house...
Old 19th December 2007, 08:47
Enthusiast

That is a nice floor, if there wasn't so much stuff in the way I'd be tempted to do that as well!