Are you madabout kit cars      
 "We've Got Kit Cars Covered" Information about Madabout-Kitcars.com Contact Madabout-Kitcars.com         Home of UK kit cars - madabout-kitcars.com Various kit car write ups All the latest kit car news Kit car related and general discussion

Search
Manufacturers
Kit Cars
Kit Car Data sheets
Picture Gallery
SVA Knowledgebase
Clubs & Communities
Build cost estimator
Kit cars for sale
Knowledge Base 
KitcarUSA.com
Classic-Kitcars.com

Go Back   Madabout Kitcars Forum > Mad Build Area > Tribute Automotive Builds

Tribute Automotive Builds Discuss your Tribute kit build

Old 20th February 2013, 07:08

Peepsy is on a distinguished road
Default Rear Arches

Because I have 17 inch wheels, and the rear arches have been enlarged. My rear vents are quite close to inner wheel arch. Mesh didnt cover enough so have made some covers up. [IMG][/IMG][IMG][IMG][/IMG][/IMG]
Old 20th February 2013, 18:47

seanick is on a distinguished road

Cooling or connecting pipe? Nice vent trim, sort of bling bling trim! You seem to have lots of room on your arches now. Are you going to fit lower springs?
Old 20th February 2013, 20:06

The fillers on the rear vents arn't to shiney ! hopefully will look ok.The power steering pump has a return pipe that runs behind the radiator and back to the resevoir to cool the fluid. It was badly corroded anyway . The picture is a bit misleading as car is up on stands at moment. If i make it any lower i wont be able to get out the bloody thing. I have to make good the lower edge of the sills where it has been damaged ! a few bendy bits .Then some Acid 8 a couple of coats of primer filler and off we go with the sand and filler shuffle.
Old 25th May 2013, 09:30

chrislandy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peepsy View Post
Hey Chris
The back is ok. This idea about working for a living is highly over rated. Takes up to much time.
Don't do what I did and stop doing your exercises after a 6ish months, my back was fine for a year or so, so stopped doing them... now 3 years on it aches most days and "goes" every so often so it's hard to get a full days work done on the car or house.

But I did have 2 discs done and still have one thats squished that they couldn't operate on

Chris
Old 27th May 2013, 18:25

landmannnn is on a distinguished road

Second that, keep up the exercises. Touch wood while I get some discomfort it all clicks back.
Old 8th June 2013, 08:34

Default Tribute aches and pains group

Perhaps we need a thread to share our aches and pains. My back, touch wood is pretty good at the moment but i am very careful when doing any work. It is something you have to live with. So when some one says look after your back !
Take notice , because its a life changer.
Thanks for the kind words guys, I havent figured how to carry the zimmer in the 250 yet maybe boot rack !!
Old 30th December 2013, 20:18

Scottie22 is on a distinguished road

Peepsy,
I have for the first time seen your thread, you have a lovely car there!
I REALLY like your exhaust idea, first rate, also the wiper bits are impressive too.

I am building a jag type thing at the moment, and I may well copy your wiper bits!
Old 20th January 2014, 08:08

Hi Scottie
strangely i have just been looking through your build.sorry didn't reply to your post.Haven't been on for a while other distractions. Your build and blogs are excellent, they really get across the frustrations and joys of these projects ( note frustrations first) Top job. Will keep an eye on you now . I have 5 litres of silver paint in my garage and if i can build up enough nerve i will be spraying mine soon.
Old 20th January 2014, 09:44

Brilliant, I'll look forward to seeing it.

I was thinking the other day, all the bits I will be putting in my interior, like that divider thing, transmission tunnel seats etc. there won't be much room left for getting in and out, what with the daft little doors!
Old 30th January 2014, 06:53

Default Nearly ready to paint

Have finally put the beast back together. If you remove the doors leave the hinges on the car they are a pig to adjust. I did mark original positions, but sprayed over them. Another tip don't use cheap masking tape. It leaves behind lots of glue which is difficult to remove, proper auto tape is better and not much more.Have given another rub with 1200 grit so now need to wash and panel wipe before the paint goes on next week.

Old 3rd February 2014, 06:15

Default I sprayed my first car

Washed/ panel wiped. and tac ragged befor I finally put some paint on the car. The silver cellulose went on a treat. I gave her 5 coats of 50:50 and then a 60:40 down to a 70:30 thinners to paint about 15 mins between coats. With the last coats you need to get a wet look and carry that over the car. It gives a nice shine when dry.
Having never sprayed before, and engrossed in my painting, my water trap filled up. As i was just giving the bonnet another coat my gun stuttered and coughed water and paint all over. I will need to flatten and redo. so check your water trap before and during your spraying.
Having to get down on hands and knees to paint under car, I managed to pick up some grit from the floor on the hose, which as i moved my hand down while painting the roof kindly dropped on to my boot lid. Flatten and redo. so keep your hose clean. good advice for any boy.
Also when you fill your gun up especially with very thin paint it doesn't leek form the breather on top of the cup. if the gun is full try to start low down the car and use up some paint before leaning over the roof/ bonnet etc as it could drip.
I was really pleased with the finish, without the few mistakes it would have been a really good job.
Old 3rd February 2014, 07:31

seanick is on a distinguished road

Looks crackin'.
Get some more paint in and I will bring mine down.
Clear coat over the top?
Old 3rd February 2014, 07:38

Mister Towed is on a distinguished road

Looking very nice. I also used silver cellulose for my first attempt at spraying and I'd say it's an inspired choice - it's very forgiving and still looks good even if you don't get it on perfectly.

Keep up the good work.
Old 3rd February 2014, 09:10

Looks great, sorry to hear about the minor problems, hopefully we can learn from your mistakes!
How much paint did you start with, to be able to do 5 coats Peeps?
Old 3rd February 2014, 20:31

Default Paint

I bought 5 litre's of unthinned metallic silver and 5 litre's of anti bloom thinners, which mixed together makes 10 litre's of paint. If you go for cellulose be careful as a lot is sold as RFU, ready for use so is already thinned.To give my car 5 coats would take about 3 litres of paint 3 litre's of thinners plus you want a bit spare. I am glad I bought 5 litre's ! I will give the bad bits a flatten down and respray. should match ?
Old 3rd February 2014, 20:39

Tribute Automotive is on a distinguished road

Well done Roger, looks brilliant in silver, a brave move for your first paint job

Are you coming up our way when it's back together?
Old 3rd February 2014, 20:49

I would be pleased to just get it out the garage ! never say never but i better sort a towing eye out first ! oh and a bonnet catch.
Old 3rd February 2014, 20:55

Quote:
Originally Posted by seanick View Post
Looks crackin'.
Get some more paint in and I will bring mine down.
Clear coat over the top?
Hey Seanick
Thanks I could do with another to practice on ?? no clear ! want it to have an old look so will see what its like when i polish it.
Old 4th February 2014, 07:14

WorldClassAccident is on a distinguished road

If you want to practice your ruby red painting I might be able to provide a donor car...
Old 24th February 2014, 21:10

I have repainted front grill and bonnet, built a better booth with fishing line dustsheets and a stapler. seems to have gone in ok. The thing with the paint is to just go for it if you are half hearted it dont work you need to put plenty of paint on so it looks wet , it dont run unless you go bonkers. And if it does then you can just rub it flat and try again. Very forgiving. Anyway have given the car a couple of hours with 2000 grit the rear shot is out the gun haven't touched it. Most of it looks pretty flat already,then I have a mirka arbaron 4000 grit pad to go over then polish.
Have started to put a few bits on, a bit prematurei know but thats men for you !

IMG][/IMG]