Are you madabout kit cars      
 "We've Got Kit Cars Covered" Information about Madabout-Kitcars.com Contact Madabout-Kitcars.com         Home of UK kit cars - madabout-kitcars.com Various kit car write ups All the latest kit car news Kit car related and general discussion

Search
Manufacturers
Kit Cars
Kit Car Data sheets
Picture Gallery
SVA Knowledgebase
Clubs & Communities
Build cost estimator
Kit cars for sale
Knowledge Base 
KitcarUSA.com
Classic-Kitcars.com

Go Back   Madabout Kitcars Forum > Mad Build Area > Sammio Builds and discussions

Sammio Builds and discussions Sammio bodied car builds and specials

Old 29th May 2012, 11:50

WorldClassAccident is on a distinguished road

Wife just rang to say some car stuff has arrived. Don't know what it is yet and won't be back from london before 8. Long afternoon of wondering for me.
Old 29th May 2012, 16:23

Viatron is on a distinguished road

good god man get her to open it all and send you pics!!!
Old 31st May 2012, 10:47

froggyman is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by WorldClassAccident View Post
Wife just rang to say some car stuff has arrived. Don't know what it is yet and won't be back from london before 8. Long afternoon of wondering for me.
Long night of wondering for us too!!!!!
Old 31st May 2012, 10:56

Fuel pump, fuel filter/pressure regulator, brake pipe clips.

Brake flexis have been cancelled and reordered after waiting three weeks and now due in a couple of days.

Wireing loom due towards the end of next week.

Hopefully pick up the brake and clutch masters and the reconned servo on Saturday.

Need to chat to the guy providing these about nicking a bit of the suspension of the SE6 he has parked in the field. If I get that then I can refit the rest of the rear suspension and get the fuel tank fitted.

When the flexies arrive I will finish bending the brake lines now that I have clips to fix them to the chassis.

Need to helicoil one bolt hole in the front of the chassis to refix the anti roll bar.

A few other things in life apparently take priority according to the boss:

Get the fuel solinoid replaced on my pickup.
Repair / Replace the knackered alternator on the pickup.
Fix/replace the brakes on one of my mountain bikes after last weekends big crash.
Fix the punctures on another of the mountain bikes and respoke/rebuild the damaged wheel (another slight crash)
Sort out the rattly brake cover on the Merc
See my god daughter do her swimming competition.
Remove the broken shower, remove the shower cubicle and then replaster and redecorate the bedroom.
Beat the guy I crashed out against in last weeks bike race.
Take the wife to the theatre
Old 31st May 2012, 10:58

AndyP57 is on a distinguished road

This is one of the wonderful things about this stage of a Sammio build... It's kind of like having an extended Xmas with 'presents' arriving at regular intervals
Old 31st May 2012, 11:20

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyP57 View Post
This is one of the wonderful things about this stage of a Sammio build... It's kind of like having an extended Xmas with 'presents' arriving at regular intervals
Unfortunately he's grounded at the moment so he can only look at them and not play with them!!!!
Old 31st May 2012, 11:36

I think she is trying to sabotage me. I need to make progress though a the body arrives soon
Old 31st May 2012, 13:42

Viatron is on a distinguished road

Do something terrible so she wont talk to you for a couple of weeks, then you can do what you like, i unintentionally achieve this regularly!
Old 4th June 2012, 20:29

Lots of update when I sober up.

EDIT - How am I awa\ke at 7:30am?

There is my blog with pictures and story : https://sites.google.com/site/g46wca/2012-06-04

Last edited by WorldClassAccident; 5th June 2012 at 06:30..
Old 8th June 2012, 18:34

I borrowed a rear suspension bit from an SE6 so I could fit the only size of bushing available. This allowed me to get the rear suspension back together. It was worth busting my knuckles stood in the rain nicking it off an upturned SE6.

Once the suspension was reconstructed I could fit the fuel tank and then run the fuel line forward, fit the new electric fuel pump, fit the fuel regulator, filter and reach the carb.

At this point I hit a snag. I connected the fuel pipe to the little brass(?) tube. I then realised I hadn't slipped the fuel pipe clip on so pulled the pipe to remove it and the pipe pulled free but with the brass tube pulled out of the carb.

A bit of Googling and it turns out the early carbs did this but normally when they got warm and sprayed petrol over the engine. There were quite a number of car fires on the early Essex engines. apparently the solution is to drill and fit a self tapping screw to hold the brass pipe in place. One for tomorrow.

Having spent the whole day down the garage I was sure there was more to type.

Wiring loom has arrived so will spend this evening staring at unfathomable diagrams and pretty coloured wires on the living room floor.
Old 3rd July 2012, 09:40

Updated the build site with general progress. i am getting lazy and only updating it about once a month now although I haven't been making great progress because of the rest of my life getting in the way.

https://sites.google.com/site/g46wca/2012-07-02

I am quite pleased with the before and after pictures of the tacho (ignore the camera shake if you can)

Gary - If you read this can you PM or email me please. I have nearly fixed my truck so hopefully I will be able to get down to you in the next could of weeks to pick up the body. I just want to know which weekend works best for you. Cheers
Old 3rd July 2012, 09:46

garyh is on a distinguished road

I won't ask about the camera shake, you're obviously chugged with how well the cleaning went!
Old 3rd July 2012, 09:48

I was inspired to clean when I saw the price of a new set of Smiths dials!!!

I also like the way the speedo and tacho contain the ignition, main been and trafficator lights. much less mess on the finished dashboard and every car should be fitted with Trafficators.
Old 3rd July 2012, 09:54

Yep, it keeps it simple. What i saw on one old car, is having the tach on it own on the passenger side fitted into a pod just below dash? I may do that for effect. I won't be chasing the revs to change gear.

Last edited by garyh; 3rd July 2012 at 10:47..
Old 3rd July 2012, 10:54

'I haven't been making great progress because of the rest of my life getting in the way.WorldClassAccident

I know the feeling which is why I have only removed the sold parts from my donor and not started in earnest. At the moment I am working my way through a long list of DIY jobs. My fault for buying a property to extend and restore instead of one which would have allowed me to get straight into the garage and concentrate on hobbies. At the moment other peoples builds are motivating me to get things finished.

Gary h: I think thats a speedo with trip and mileometer for the navigator. Racers normally have the rev counter in front of them and the speedo to one side as the revs their pulling is more important to monitor than the speed they are travelling. Although in your picture they look as they are both speedos.

Last edited by froggyman; 3rd July 2012 at 11:04..
Old 3rd July 2012, 11:01

I think they stuck the rev counter down there as part of the modernisation so they didn't have to change the original dial. Adds functionality but is easily reversible when they come to sell.
Old 3rd July 2012, 12:07

Comprondez, i understand. Might still do it, anyway.
Old 3rd July 2012, 17:22

MoriniMan is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by garyh View Post
Yep, it keeps it simple. What i saw on one old car, is having the tach on it own on the passenger side fitted into a pod just below dash? I may do that for effect. I won't be chasing the revs to change gear.
You've got it the wrong way round.

The tach is in the instrument cluster.

For road use a speedo with odometer and trip counter has been fitted under the passenger side dash.
Old 9th July 2012, 09:55

Full update here : https://sites.google.com/site/g46wca/2012-07-08

Basically a bit of an engine rebuild, a bit of a fire and a bit of painting.

I painted the bottom of the old Scimitar tub with black rubber to hide the white plastic and possibly offer sound proofing not rust proofing.

I am now thinking of coating the inside with a colour to get rid of the hideous green but that brings back the "What Colour" dilema...
Old 10th July 2012, 12:41

Nike55 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by WorldClassAccident View Post
Full update here : https://sites.google.com/site/g46wca/2012-07-08

I painted the bottom of the old Scimitar tub with black rubber to hide the white plastic and possibly offer sound proofing not rust proofing.

I am now thinking of coating the inside with a colour to get rid of the hideous green but that brings back the "What Colour" dilema...
Zinc Chromate Green!

Seriously though it is a vexing question. I guess it depends on your taste and the 'style' of the car.

If replicating an old 1950's car and the external colours is BRG/Ecurie Ecosse Blue/Burgundy/Red/Yellow then inside would perhaps look better with a neutral Aluminium/Silver and / or Black.

If a modern 'fusion' look then anything goes: Porsche Lime Green and Tangerine interior perhaps....