Are you madabout kit cars      
 "We've Got Kit Cars Covered" Information about Madabout-Kitcars.com Contact Madabout-Kitcars.com         Home of UK kit cars - madabout-kitcars.com Various kit car write ups All the latest kit car news Kit car related and general discussion

Search
Manufacturers
Kit Cars
Kit Car Data sheets
Picture Gallery
SVA Knowledgebase
Clubs & Communities
Build cost estimator
Kit cars for sale
Knowledge Base 
KitcarUSA.com
Classic-Kitcars.com

Go Back   Madabout Kitcars Forum > Mad Build Area > Marlin Sportster, Cabrio, Berlinetta and Roadster builds

Marlin Sportster, Cabrio, Berlinetta and Roadster builds Enthused or Confused about your vintage Marlin build? Ask away here or show off your build.

Old 29th December 2007, 19:31
Enthusiast

peterux is on a distinguished road

Some Christmas holiday progress....
I've been focussing on some more off the wiring over the last two days.
I now have Brake Lights that work, Indicators that flash normally and in Hazard mode and a reversing light that comes on when in reverse. Plus brake warning lamp switches and wires. The wiring up takes much time for little visible progress. Lots of time routing cables and fitting those fiddly Lucus spade terminal connectors.
Some pictures here......
http://www.flickr.com/photos/peters-bmwmarlin/
best regards

Peter
Old 30th December 2007, 18:37
Enthusiast

MartinClan is on a distinguished road

Been doing the same. I must have rewired the front lights half a dozen times to try and get a neat and discreet run for the cable. Cracked it in the end...

Still haven't got around to fitting the top bonnet although I am now the proud owner of a stainless hinge courtesy of Ebay.

Robin
Old 8th January 2008, 11:40
Enthusiast

5EXi girl is on a distinguished road
Default well done from marlin cars

Peter

I would like to congratulate you and all the other Sportster builders (inc Patrick and Richard) for keeping your web sites up to date with such detailed pictures and advise. It is a great help to others either building or thinking about building to know there are so many of you out there willing to advise and to also see what a great job you are doing. Of course it helps that you are building such a well engineered product ;-)

Well done
Terry
Old 8th January 2008, 15:30
Enthusiast

Thanks, Terry.
It's been 4 years now since I started to dissmantle the BMW donor, but to be fair i've had a few whole 6 month blocks of no progress due to other DIY and family commitments.
I've learnt a huge amount about the Sportster and the BMW 3 series and this forum has been a great place to watch other builds and to share problems and solutions.

But we need to see some newer builders over here. Do encourage any new builders in the last 12 months to join us!
The Flickr site I use to post my pictures is dead easy to use, as I am no web expert and only costs about £12 a year.

Peter
Old 8th January 2008, 17:15
Enthusiast

5EXi girl is on a distinguished road
Default re more new builder pics please

ok will do my best ;-)
Old 8th January 2008, 21:32
Enthusiast

Patrick is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5EXi girl View Post
Peter

I would like to congratulate you and all the other Sportster builders (inc Patrick and Richard) for keeping your web sites up to date with such detailed pictures and advise. It is a great help to others either building or thinking about building to know there are so many of you out there willing to advise and to also see what a great job you are doing. Of course it helps that you are building such a well engineered product ;-)

Well done
Terry
Thanks Terry
Old 12th January 2008, 20:01
Enthusiast

Little bit more progress....
Today, I cut and tested fitted the nearside top bonnet. I still have to drill the other 33 holes for the piano hinge.
After the top bonnets, I just have the front cycle wings to fit to complete the exterior bodywork.
A few pictures here..............(as usual)

Peter
Old 13th January 2008, 19:20
Enthusiast

Peter

I am about to start the process of fitting the top bonnets and I was curious as to why you had to trim off the return on the lower edge?

Cheers

Robin
Old 13th January 2008, 20:25
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartinClan View Post
Peter

I am about to start the process of fitting the top bonnets and I was curious as to why you had to trim off the return on the lower edge?

Cheers

Robin
It's just trimed at the rear edge to clear the edge of the scuttle.
It will be obvious to you once you try to fit them. At the front you just take the corner off to clear the nose cone.

Peter
Old 14th January 2008, 11:11
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterux View Post
It's just trimed at the rear edge to clear the edge of the scuttle. Peter
Thanks Peter. I looked more closely at your pictures and I can see now. When I first looked I got the impression that you had taken the hacksaw to the entire length of the return!

Can you tell me what tool you found best for trimming the front and back of the bonnet? Is a good old fashioned hacksaw best or is one of these nibbler things better?

Cheers

Robin
Old 14th January 2008, 21:14
Enthusiast

Quote:
Can you tell me what tool you found best for trimming the front and back of the bonnet? Is a good old fashioned hacksaw best or is one of these nibbler things better?

Cheers

Robin
I did buy one of those hand nibblers but I found for me the best method was my battery operated Jigsaw with a nice new finnest toothed blade and a fully charged battery to get the maximun revs.
Having clamped the bonnet to the workmate, take a deep breath and just follow the line slowly. With the jigsaw, you can follow the curve of the bonnet.
By the time I got to the last cut, I was getting real good!
Old 15th January 2008, 07:31
Enthusiast

Quote:
I found for me the best method was my battery operated Jigsaw with a nice new finnest toothed blade and a fully charged battery to get the maximun revs.
Having clamped the bonnet to the workmate, take a deep breath and just follow the line slowly. With the jigsaw, you can follow the curve of the bonnet.
By the time I got to the last cut, I was getting real good!
Thanks Peter

I have a "professional" jig saw (left over from the last major project which was a wooden boat) but I think its probably much too big and clumsy for a job like that. I think I will have a look around in my local B&Q warehouse and see what they have... I need to buy a good new 5mm drill anyway ;-)

I know what you mean about getting to the last bit and getting good. I often feel like I want to do a job again once I get to the end and get proficient at it!

Cheers

Robin
Old 19th January 2008, 19:17
Enthusiast

I completed the bonnet tops today and drilled and fitted the 42 nuts and bolts! A back aching exercise if ever there was one.
Also, the spare wheel cover was in the way, so I popped that on as well. It doesn't fit too well, but I have noticed that other cars have wing piping around the edge which I suspect that will cure that problem.
Be warned, my spare wheel cover threaded rod was not in the exact centre, so if you are doing this task, make sure you measure it first!

The car is looking great, but too wet today to take any photo's outside.
Old 19th January 2008, 19:25
Enthusiast

Quote:
I completed the bonnet tops today and drilled and fitted the 42 nuts and bolts!.
Looking good Peter! What are the rubber edge strips you mentioned? Are these something in addition to the rubber moulding where the bonnet rests on the bulkhead and nosecone?

Cheers

Robin
Old 19th January 2008, 21:00
Enthusiast

Quote:
Looking good Peter! What are the rubber edge strips you mentioned? Are these something in addition to the rubber moulding where the bonnet rests on the bulkhead and nosecone?

Cheers

Robin
Yes, i've added rubber "U" section to the front and rear edges of the top bonnets as this was a SVA failure point on Patrick and Richards car. I haven't taken a close up shot but you can see it on Patrick's website under his SVA section. I've used 10mm deep U-section.
cheers

Peter
Old 20th January 2008, 16:58
Enthusiast

Quote:
Yes, i've added rubber "U" section to the front and rear edges of the top bonnets as this was a SVA failure point on Patrick and Richards car. I haven't taken a close up shot but you can see it on Patrick's website under his SVA section. I've used 10mm deep U-section.
cheers

Peter
Aha - this is in case you run into anyone whilst driving with the bonnet open...

Did you have to adjust the length of the bonnet to fit the U-section or is it thin enough to fit without doing that?

Just started to fit my bonnet tops today so it would be handy to know.

Cheers

Robin
Old 20th January 2008, 20:46
Enthusiast

Quote:
Aha - this is in case you run into anyone whilst driving with the bonnet open...

Did you have to adjust the length of the bonnet to fit the U-section or is it thin enough to fit without doing that?

Just started to fit my bonnet tops today so it would be handy to know.

Cheers

Robin
I have fitted my bonnets to fit without the U section, as that will how it will be when finished. It is a bit tight with the U section now fitted but it'll be Ok until the SVA.

regards

Peter
Old 20th January 2008, 21:33
Enthusiast

Default Body Finished

I fitted the last piece of bodywork today!

Another important milestone reached.

So..... lots of pictures to celebrate, but sorry about the rain on the lens, it hasn't stopped all day here today.

....back the lights and wiring up the dashboard next...............

Peter
Old 21st January 2008, 12:09
Enthusiast

Looking great Peter!!

What size wheels and tyres have you used? It looks as though you were able to fit the front mudguards without having to cut bits out of them to clear the stays - as Patrick had to do.

I'm sure those wheels look different to the ones you were originaly going to use?

BR

Robin
Old 21st January 2008, 17:19
Enthusiast

Patrick is on a distinguished road

Looks nice, maybe its down to the new style wing carriers?