Are you madabout kit cars      
 "We've Got Kit Cars Covered" Information about Madabout-Kitcars.com Contact Madabout-Kitcars.com         Home of UK kit cars - madabout-kitcars.com Various kit car write ups All the latest kit car news Kit car related and general discussion

Search
Manufacturers
Kit Cars
Kit Car Data sheets
Picture Gallery
SVA Knowledgebase
Clubs & Communities
Build cost estimator
Kit cars for sale
Knowledge Base 
KitcarUSA.com
Classic-Kitcars.com

Go Back   Madabout Kitcars Forum > Mad Build Area > Sammio Builds and discussions

Sammio Builds and discussions Sammio bodied car builds and specials

Old 10th July 2012, 13:12

WorldClassAccident is on a distinguished road

My current thinking is deep burgundy bodywork with predominantly light wood and tan leather interior. Probably body coloured doors with tan leather caps and the floor and foot wells black.

https://picasaweb.google.com/1156603...31336864275330

Although having seen the alu finish on this I am sorely tempted..

Old 10th July 2012, 15:20

Nike55 is on a distinguished road

The 'engine turned' alloy dash was 'the thing' in the early '30's (Bugatti etc) and was part of the Art Deco scene - it works better on some cars than others (IMHO).
Old 10th July 2012, 18:01

I was thinking more of the bare metal doors and floors. The dashboard is a bit OTT for my tastes
Old 11th July 2012, 07:38

Mister Towed is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by WorldClassAccident View Post
Although having seen the alu finish on this I am sorely tempted..
Yep, I like the aluminium panelled interior too. And the silver bodywork. The dash looks a bit, well, kit car to me though...
Old 11th July 2012, 07:40

Gary warned me that silver can be a git to spray. Apparently it is sensitive to direction of application.

Agree about the dash, a bit Pebble Beach show car, although I would still find space on the drive if I was given it.
Old 11th July 2012, 07:49

Quote:
Gary warned me that silver can be a git to spray. Apparently it is sensitive to direction of application.
Hmm, at Stoneleigh Mike said silver takes the most prep as it shows every defect. Bearing in mind I've never sprayed anything other than with rattle cans before I thought 'how hard can it be?' Thing is, if anyone points out defects in my paint finish (which there will be) I'll just show them a picture of that C Type Jag cockpit and point out that these cars were built to race, not show and shine.
Old 11th July 2012, 07:53

Quote:
Agree about the dash, a bit Pebble Beach show car, although I would still find space on the drive if I was given it.
I'd have a struggle of conscience if I was given the 328 as a gift - OK, it's a beautiful car, but I'd have to hide it in the garage as it's a BMW and I don't want my neighbours to think I'm a wnker.
Old 11th July 2012, 08:06

oxford1360 is on a distinguished road

If you want to go for the aluminium-bodied racer style look you can always spray two coats of silver that are different shades (slightly darker one underneath). Then go at it with some wire wool and it will look like the BMW above, and you don't have to worry about imperfections in the body because they were caused when Phil Hill nudged your father at Sebring in '59.

Pic of Phil below. Unfortunately, the photographer did not develop the rolls with the pics of the Sammio as they were lost in a pit fire later that day.
http://www.jimmygibsonphotographer.com/shop/view/72

Yes, I do write fiction in my spare time.
Old 11th July 2012, 09:08

Quote:
Originally Posted by oxford1360 View Post
If you want to go for the aluminium-bodied racer style look you can always spray two coats of silver that are different shades (slightly darker one underneath). Then go at it with some wire wool and it will look like the BMW above, and you don't have to worry about imperfections in the body because they were caused when Phil Hill nudged your father at Sebring in '59.

Pic of Phil below. Unfortunately, the photographer did not develop the rolls with the pics of the Sammio as they were lost in a pit fire later that day.
http://www.jimmygibsonphotographer.com/shop/view/72

Yes, I do write fiction in my spare time.
You could of course bash out an alloy body....

I remember my father telling me that he was near the pits the day of the fire and noticed the photographers bag alight. He said that a carelessly discarded Woodbine had ignited a spirit soaked rag in the pocket of a passing Italian mechanic, who was returning to the pits after lunch, with a large salami. Upon noticing the build up of heat, shouts of panic and the smell he hurriedly removed his overalls (causing some embarrassment to the ladies present) and discarded these next to the photographers film stock, causing ignition of the the cellulose film.

My father said he was glad my mother had not been present as she would have been shocked at the singeing of the mechanics salami. More importantly he said the Sammio Spyders were pushed clear but the two prototype G46 models that were there for testing (which on the track had shown great promise over the Jaguar, Aston Martin and Ferrari entrants) were caught in the conflagration. The mechanics had used a Pyrene extinguisher in an effort to save the cars but for some reason this made things worse.

Although the cars were almost completely destroyed a small piece of bodywork survived and rumours spread that it was not aluminium or magnesium as suspected but some newer, thinner 'Bakelite' type material.

A search for photographs of the G46 prototypes running on the circuit continues but as there were only a small number of professional photographers present on the day it is possible that images may be obtained from members of the public and an appeal will be made via the programme at the next Holton Heath circuit race meeting.

Stop Press: There have been rumours that Sammio G46 cars had been seen in action on the Continent and had been raced for some time at different circuits, under assumed names, in order to complete testing prior to a possible Le Man entry in the future. The lack of badging on these mysterious cars has no doubt made it easier for the entrants, who are believed to be Ex-works.
Old 11th July 2012, 09:32

oxford1360 is on a distinguished road

My grandmother still talks about the "singeing of the mechanic's salami". She kept in touch with him for years.
Old 11th July 2012, 09:33

Slow day in the office?
Old 11th July 2012, 10:03

davecymru is on a distinguished road

you lot have WAY too much free time!
Old 11th July 2012, 10:20

Quote:
Originally Posted by oxford1360 View Post
If you want to go for the aluminium-bodied racer style look you can always spray two coats of silver that are different shades (slightly darker one underneath). Then go at it with some wire wool and it will look like the BMW above...
It could end up looking like fifty shades of grey though and need leather harnesses instead of nylon...
Old 11th July 2012, 10:35

Quote:
Originally Posted by davecymru View Post
you lot have WAY too much free time!
Yep, sadly (?), out of work since December 2011 and awaiting G46. Been a little bit of a delay but hope to get my hands on the conversion soon.

In the meantime will start rebuilding my Honda Blackbird which I wrote off on Saturday on the way back from Fairford. As soon as the bruising goes down...

Last edited by Nike55; 21st July 2012 at 13:49.. Reason: Time machine
Old 11th July 2012, 10:36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Towed View Post
It could end up looking like fifty shades of grey though and need leather harnesses instead of nylon...
But what would a leather harness do to your Salami though?
Old 25th August 2012, 14:59

Woo Hoo! Picked up my body and frame today!

The guys at Tribute Automotive who did the body were great. Friendly, helpful and didn't complain when I turned up two hours early to watch and learn.

Just finished the mountain bike event so am going down the garage to play.

Photos later today
Old 25th August 2012, 15:12

GazDavies is on a distinguished road

I will look forward to seeing your progress (lots of pics please). The twin humps look very good, much better than I had expected!
Old 25th August 2012, 21:12

Busy day.

Photos and story here : https://sites.google.com/site/g46wca/2012-08-25

I have the first G46 on the road but not sure I am happy about the body alignment.

Old 25th August 2012, 21:49

AndyP57 is on a distinguished road

And it DOES fit on a pickup ..... Just
Old 25th August 2012, 22:44

Best wishes and good luck with your new toy...

(Don't forget the respirator...)