Are you madabout kit cars      
 "We've Got Kit Cars Covered" Information about Madabout-Kitcars.com Contact Madabout-Kitcars.com         Home of UK kit cars - madabout-kitcars.com Various kit car write ups All the latest kit car news Kit car related and general discussion

Search
Manufacturers
Kit Cars
Kit Car Data sheets
Picture Gallery
SVA Knowledgebase
Clubs & Communities
Build cost estimator
Kit cars for sale
Knowledge Base 
KitcarUSA.com
Classic-Kitcars.com

Go Back   Madabout Kitcars Forum > Mad Build Area > Sammio Builds and discussions

Sammio Builds and discussions Sammio bodied car builds and specials

Old 31st May 2011, 05:44

Patton is on a distinguished road
Default rear end

Many years ago (30) in my spitfire days, a firm called SAH did a tight turn kit which was a wish bone set up for the rear suspension I never got any further as when you phoned them the department you needed never picked up, I understand it came at quiet a price, anyone else heard of it?
Old 1st June 2011, 07:53

Sammio Builder is on a distinguished road

Hi Patoune,

In one of your photos it shows a rear anti roll bar and adjustable rear radius arm with a new mounting point onto the chassis.

Are you able to upload some detailed photos of this area and let us know what you've done?

Very interested!

Trevor.
Old 2nd June 2011, 19:37

patoune is on a distinguished road

Hi Trevor,

My sammio is mount on a chassis with rear rotoflex suspension, using a radius arm kit from Triumph GT6 a little bit modify (lengthen)

Use too a part of the swing rear kit with rear spring spacer block 1" alloy, can found the parts from Canley Classic.

In fact, have built my Sammio on the chassis of my ex Triumph Herald race car.

Hope I have helped you a little bit !

Regards
Patrice
Old 5th June 2011, 21:01

davecymru is on a distinguished road

After a very productive evening pottering in the garage i think it's worth adding a lesson learnt..

If you're over 6ft and plan to fit Cobra style bucket seats, or the nice bucket seats that Moss do that i've opted for, then you'll need to lower the floor pan as it's a bit tight on the flat floor.

If you are going to do that then you may want to reuse and modify the floors from the original body tub (rather than scrapping it quite as quickly as i did!), as while fabricating brand new floor pans is giving me exactly the 60mm seat drop that i want, it's taking bleedin ages and i want this on the road this side of Summer!
Old 5th June 2011, 22:15

Sammio Builder is on a distinguished road

Hi Dave,

I'm 6FT4 and was about to cut up and scrap the bodyshell next weekend, but after reading that I might angle grind off the lower section of the floor pan.

Thanks for the heads up!

Trevor.
Old 7th June 2011, 10:17

TriBond is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patton View Post
Many years ago (30) in my spitfire days, a firm called SAH did a tight turn kit which was a wish bone set up for the rear suspension I never got any further as when you phoned them the department you needed never picked up, I understand it came at quiet a price, anyone else heard of it?
Ah the fabled SAH kit. I had an SAH catalogue at about that time which listed the 'Tight Turn' kit, from the pictures it seemed to resemble the Triumph rotoflex set up. I recall some discussion in the TSSC at the time about whether they has actually ever made and sold any, the general consensus was that no one had ever seen one.
Old 9th June 2011, 18:21

soporsche is on a distinguished road
Default Seats/Seatpan and 6ft+

Hi Trevor, Dave et al

Im also a tall one (6ft 3"), at the moment I have a standard floor but with low seats mounted direct (modified Moggie seats)... It may be that when i get it back i'll also need to mod my floorpan but it 'seemed' ok'ish when i sat in one before the current works started.
I'll try it out and let you know but by the time it arrives you may have moved past that point in your build.
Cant wait to collect it now and actually get some driving in during summer (hopefully).

Let me know how you get on with the pan.

Regards

Steve
Old 12th June 2011, 13:16

lancelot link is on a distinguished road

Thought this might interest some of you .....I get asked all the time what other cars the Sammio body will fit and generally , unless you do major mods , its not many...we are looking into MX5 as a possible at present , requires some surgery but not too far away from our dimensions ....

We sold a body to a Citroen 2CV enthusiast earlier this year ....we had to modify the bonnet for him to allow for the slight change in wheelbase ( 2CV is slightly longer )

Graham has just sent me these pictures and it worked out ok...I know the 2CV isn't everyones first choice but they are plentiful , simple costruction and have proved very popular over the years .

Anyhow , He is prepared to recreate his subframe / Spaceframe assembly he has created and we can supply the modified body - so if anyone has an interest , email me direct and I can put you in touch with Graham who will be marketing these under his banner using our bodies....

Old 14th June 2011, 11:51

Patton is on a distinguished road

Tribond, I didn't dream it (it's me age you know) thanks, from thinking back I did they ever sell any thing you got through the switchboard and then they never picked up. I'm 6' and it seems I don't stick out the car sat on the floor' but it doesn't allow for much under bum padding. One of Gary's early models used a garden type chair (no legs) fixed to the floor it worked..
Old 14th June 2011, 13:41

PaulC is on a distinguished road

A 2CV? Why?

Each to their own but that's utterly pointless.
Old 14th June 2011, 20:48

PAULC,
I kinda know what you mean , but I can see this from both sides ....the 2CV isn't the greatest of base cars , performance , handling etc. And here in the U.K. and countries like the U.S.A. etc where , for now , we are being allowed to be creative still , its not an obvious choice..but the 2CV is an already established , regular donor for kits in countries like Holland , France etc...Countries where getting anything modified on the road is getting very difficult....I think they stand a good chance of using 2CV's as the cars have a history of being modified.... Beetles are the other one that slips through the net...

You only have to look at the 2CV KIT CAR CLUB OF HOLLAND to see they have a following....

It's not for me , I agree with you , but I don't have the restrictions others do......
Old 17th June 2011, 09:30

It's been a productive week and I've just got 2 more panels to add to protect the seat belt enclosure and then the main body shell can be initially fitted!

List of jobs done since my last post:
  • Finished fitting lowered Battery box (just need to add battery strap)
  • New alternator and fan belt fitted
  • New plugs and leads fitted
  • Tidied up engine bay wiring and replaced "twisted together" connections with proper connections! I still need to test one wire that is hanging loose that looks "important"
  • Added connectors to rear wiring loom ready for body to be fitted
  • Lowered seat pans fabricated and fitted. They're not the prettiest bit of fabrication, but they're practical and more than up to the job. Plus they'll be covered
  • Started boxing in Seat belt enclosure

Pics added to my Photobucket album in case anyone is interested?
http://s49.photobucket.com/albums/f2...h%20Kit%20Car/
Old 19th June 2011, 16:04

quick question for anyone who's ahead of me, does your headrest sit in the dead top centre of your seat or is it off to one side?
Old 19th June 2011, 18:15

Dave , they are slightly off centre - it was an aesthetics decision !!

sounds like you are charging ahead - good job !

Gary
Old 19th June 2011, 20:03

Cheers Gary thanks for the reply, I put it on here rather than ringing you as didn't want to disturb you on a Sunday with such a wishy washy question

Yup the body is now being fitted and hopefully if i can lower the suspension this week then it'll be bonded on by next weekend and then i'll ring you to talk to the nice man from VOSA, Fingers crossed!
Old 21st June 2011, 18:24

captaincrash1971 is on a distinguished road

Quick question for lancelot. You say the shell can be transported as the picture you supplied in a space 9ft x 5ft
would it be ok to transport it on it's side. I'm looking at collection in an enclosed trailer
Cheers
Alan
Old 21st June 2011, 21:10

PaulC is on a distinguished road

Gary.

I can understand the frustration in countries where this sort of thing is discouraged but why would a 2CV be any different to any other donor?
Old 22nd June 2011, 11:11

Quote:
Originally Posted by captaincrash1971 View Post
Quick question for lancelot. You say the shell can be transported as the picture you supplied in a space 9ft x 5ft
would it be ok to transport it on it's side. I'm looking at collection in an enclosed trailer
Cheers
Alan
It could but I wouldn't recommend it...puts a lot of strain on the body...
Old 22nd June 2011, 12:26

mulberry is on a distinguished road

little tip for you guys like me with out a lot of space in ur std garage, bolt castors on to the sammio frame, u can wheel it in/out with ease.
Old 22nd June 2011, 13:03

mulberry is on a distinguished road

gary here`s picture of my chassis,as promised

[IMG][/IMG]