Are you madabout kit cars      
 "We've Got Kit Cars Covered" Information about Madabout-Kitcars.com Contact Madabout-Kitcars.com         Home of UK kit cars - madabout-kitcars.com Various kit car write ups All the latest kit car news Kit car related and general discussion

Search
Manufacturers
Kit Cars
Kit Car Data sheets
Picture Gallery
SVA Knowledgebase
Clubs & Communities
Build cost estimator
Kit cars for sale
Knowledge Base 
KitcarUSA.com
Classic-Kitcars.com

Go Back   Madabout Kitcars Forum > Mad Build Area > Sammio Builds and discussions

Sammio Builds and discussions Sammio bodied car builds and specials

Old 31st January 2012, 15:40

garyh is on a distinguished road
Default All done then, dave?

Still polishing it...
Old 31st January 2012, 16:02

davecymru is on a distinguished road

Nearly there...... i only have about an hr a night and even then not every night, so I'm ticking along.

I was reassembling the rear end last night and i've just got to double check the front callipers and bearings tonight before i can put it all back together and re-fill the brakes hopefully before the weekend (famous last words!) as long as there are no more emergency orders placed with Rimmers!

Status so-far on the original fail list:
1) Windscreen or wind deflector?
***I'm simply going to remove before retest. Although i may have a chat with him again first to see if he can change his mind!

2) Headlight aim too low.
***Still need to adjust - shouldn't take more than a few mins right at the end.

3) O/S Front wheel bearing noise
*** will check this tonight, although with the brakes "binding" i'm not at all sure if this was a real issue?

4) Front brakes binding.
*** i had a quick look and they seem fine to me, just minor lack of use. But I'm taking them off tonight to give them a quick clean and a once over. Hopefully i won't find anything serious.

5) Rear brakes binding.
*** All rear brake shoes, both pistons, both brake adjusters and both flexi hoses replaced. I've also given both sides a scrub down with a wire brush and a lick of Black paint to tidy it all up and i finally got both sides refitted last night!
NOW try and fail the rear brakes!

6) N/S & O/S front springs incomplete!
*** GAZ height adjustable shocks purchased along with 1" lowered Vitesse springs. These will be fitted once i've double checked the front callipers.
Slight annoyance is that the bottom shock seats are fractionally too large for the springs to sit on so they had to be ground down. But... my old grinder gave up the ghost half way through and had to be replaced

7)O/S drive shaft rubbing on flexi-hose.
*** Bracket adjusted, all sorted!

8) N/S rear lower suspension joint, excessive wear.
*** After much swearing and eventually cutting with a 1mm cutting disk i finally got the old one out and replaced it.
Seeing how bad it was i decided to do the other side as well while i was at it and knew what to do, and it was a good job i did and it only cost a few quid!

9) Brake balance.
*** Unable to check, but hoping that my complete rear end overhaul fixes this

10) Brake efficiency.
***Again, I'm unable to check, but hoping that my complete rear end overhaul fixes this

11) unable to check all w/bearings due to binding brakes.
*** If anyone can advise me how to check wheel bearings short of "giving them a wobble" it would be appreciated

12) some of the older welding repairs need attention.
*** I tidied up a few of the older patches with the grinder and i ended up having to replace two of them
That took ages as they were under the car, but i finally got the underseal on over the weekend, and came away with only a few minor welding burns.

So the rear end is all done (short of setting up the brakes) and hopefully the front end can be sorted out with a can of brake cleaner and some tlc?

It would be nice to have it on the road for the Autojumble at the Bath & West showground the weekend after this! Even if it won't be polished too much by then
Old 31st January 2012, 16:24

mulberry is on a distinguished road

dave remove your brake shoe`s or pads this will take any rubbing noise away when checking your wheel bearings,should run free and no dry rubbing sound, if they do pack with lots of grease....
Old 31st January 2012, 20:04

tlrtone is on a distinguished road

sounds like the MOT man is going to struggle ot find anything wrong with it this time!
Old 31st January 2012, 20:22

Thumbs up Dave, you've done well...

I'm glad i am starting from scratch, i know you will agree, i think? And i can see where all my money has gone too. A lot of rebuild kits!
Old 31st January 2012, 20:31

They'd better not find too much this time!
Although as I'm still learning what to do as i go, I'm dreading him somehow finding fault with a rear bearing or front trunion as i've not replaced those.
I'm also worrying about not overhauling the gearbox and diff, but then again i am paranoid at the best of times!

So tonight i refitted the rear brake pipes and handbrake cables.
Then the front N/S brake calliper was whipped off.
I had to replace the N/S solid brake line which was a 20 min job (i don't know why i used to avoid making brake lines?)
As far as i can see the calliper all looks fine with just the pad runners in need of a brush with a wire brush and hopefully that was all that was causing any sticking.

Is it easy/worth it to dismantle the entire callipers while i'm at it?

That said, with those off the front left hub spins nicely. it does make noise, but to me it sounds like a bearing noise and it sounds greased. I may just go and grab the bloke from the garage for advise before i reassemble.
Although......
One interesting development was the lack of split pins in both hub nuts! The N/S nut was loose and spinning freely! So i'll tighten that up tomorrow and hopefully that's all it will need and fingers crossed that it's not died in the meantime.

I do love these little surprises left over from previous amateur mechanics!
Old 31st January 2012, 21:37

Quote:
Originally Posted by davecymru View Post
I do love these little surprises left over from previous amateur mechanics!
That's why I always strip it right back and do a nut and bolt rebuild - once the body is bonded on it makes everything that much more difficult! Time spent in the early stages makes running and maintaining it in the long term a lot easier!

But isn't that the beauty of these kits - everyone can take their own approach and learn a lot in the process. You will know your car inside out when you have finished.
Old 7th February 2012, 13:12

Late last night i finally got the new front brake calipers and hoses fitted and the new shocks and spring on and bled the brakes and it's all done, sort of........

I bought GAZ height adjustable shocks and 1" lowered Vitesse springs and even with the shocks set to lowest, it still sits higher than with my cut down springs, but not massively
So i may have to have a tinker after the MOT.

Also the brakes are now massively better than they were! But on the first press of the pedal it does go nearly all the way to the floor, but with a lot of normal resistance. If i press it again it only goes 1/2 way. If i leave it for a few seconds then it still works but does travel further.

Seeing as before i changed all the pistons/callipers the pedal was spongy, but the pedal didn't go all the way down i'm pretty sure that the brake pedal cylinder is ok, i think just a bit more bleeding may be in order? I also had a servo/piston "go" on my old Capri so i know what that feels like, and this feels different, so fingers crossed.

So hopefully if it all goes well after some more brake bleeding and double checking tonight, i'll phone my nice MOT man tomorrow for another test
Old 7th February 2012, 13:51

Default Sounds good, dave?

Maybe the springs will settle? More pics please.
Old 7th February 2012, 15:17

Mister Towed is on a distinguished road

Best of luck with the MOT and the ride height Dave.

It does sound like you've got air in the brake lines somewhere.

I had the same symptoms on an old mini decades ago when I sheared off a bleed nipple and couldn't afford to replace the cylinder. It did teach me to look a long way ahead for potential hazards though as you had to pump some pressure into the brakes well before you needed them...
Old 7th February 2012, 17:20

good luck with the MOT Dave!

As GaryH says - more pics
Old 7th February 2012, 18:16

lancelot link is on a distinguished road

Definitely air in system.....

Best way to get it all out is start on the nearside rear wheel , then offside rear , then move to nearside front , finally the shortest distance , ie. front offside ...

Old systems can be a pain ...you may need to pump the pedal several times until its hard and get someone to release the nipple whilst you hold it down.... ( theres enough inuendo there to keep Towed happy for hours - even the word inyourendo isn't safe !! )

The forced pressure of a pumped up pedal can get the air out more efficiently sometimes....a few goes like that can be better than hours of gentle bleeding...
Old 7th February 2012, 18:39

Patton is on a distinguished road

On Skippy we had to "crack off" (inuendo intended) the T pieces front and rear but we never got to feel tight (ooo matron).... Pat
Old 7th February 2012, 20:27

Cheers guys, It must be carry-on tribute night tonight! so i may as well carry on in the same vein

I've just finished pumping away vigorously in the garage and I'm pretty happy with how hard it feels now

I also finally took some pics of my inner wheel arch liners. They are made from 6mm exterior ply and consist of front, back and inner panels (no top) and all are bolted together with angle brackets and the entire structure bonded to the shell where they meet with bonding paste. They are also additionally braced in place as the additional rear cross member used to support the exhaust bolts to them (you can see the bolt head in the pic below) and the inner edges of the front panels are bonded to my seat belt frame. Making the whole rear of the car very rigid.

Important note for pre-inspection types - this cross member simply rests on top of the rear outriggers to hold it in place vertically and then bolts to the inner wheel arches to stop it sliding about. Therefore not requiring any chassis mods. Of course you could always bracket it to the rear outriggers as some minor additional brackets are allowed, but i didn't want to chance it!

Looking back. You can see i also I cleaned off and painted everything black while i was faffing around this last two weeks with the brakes and trunions. I don't want to show you guys up who are making everything REALLY shiny

Then i figured out how to turn the flash on!
Looking fwd.

Also while i had my rear end up in the air i decided to bite the bullet and put the reflectors on. It's not as bad as i was dreading.

Finally, as there is a Whiskey waiting for me, my nice new shiny callipers and shocks which, in case Towed hasn't quite chocked to death yet reading this thread tonight, includes a knob i can twiddle to make things harder!
Old 7th February 2012, 20:38

Those front brake pipes look a little short? They look like they may be under tension when the suspension starts moving. Mr MOT man might have something to say about that......or it may be a trick of the camera!
Old 7th February 2012, 20:56

seanick is on a distinguished road

Bit worried about your front brake hose, the bend is quite tight. I just looked at mine and maybe my hoses are a tad longer.
Good luck with the Mot.
Nick
Old 7th February 2012, 20:58

seanick is on a distinguished road

Bit worried about your front brake hose, the bend is quite tight. I just looked at mine and maybe my hoses are a tad longer.
Good luck with the Mot.
Nick
Am I that slow at typing!
Old 7th February 2012, 21:17

Hummm I will double check those hoses, but that pic was taken at extreme left lock and that hose is the same length as the ones that were on there before. I expect its just a camera angle thing, but cheers for the heads up
Old 8th February 2012, 13:04

Default Just thinking about springs...

1" lowered Vitesse springs! thats the problem, its no longer a Vitesse - circa 25% lighter? So, does that make them 3/4" lowered springs and even when they settle, they maybe no more than an inch... I think we need to what Seanick has done.
Old 8th February 2012, 17:35

Good point! I'll try and get a pic of mine "as is" out in the open over the weekend just so that we have a reference pic before i make any more changes.

I also got the local MOT man to have a quick look at those front break hoses, and yup the do seem too short. But it should be a quick and easy mod to make up some new brackets from some steel i already have and that will bring the fixed brake tube out a bit so that i can keep the same hoses (i.e. no more cost!) so that's good.