Are you madabout kit cars      
 "We've Got Kit Cars Covered" Information about Madabout-Kitcars.com Contact Madabout-Kitcars.com         Home of UK kit cars - madabout-kitcars.com Various kit car write ups All the latest kit car news Kit car related and general discussion

Search
Manufacturers
Kit Cars
Kit Car Data sheets
Picture Gallery
SVA Knowledgebase
Clubs & Communities
Build cost estimator
Kit cars for sale
Knowledge Base 
KitcarUSA.com
Classic-Kitcars.com

Go Back   Madabout Kitcars Forum > Mad Build Area > Sammio Builds and discussions

Sammio Builds and discussions Sammio bodied car builds and specials

Old 18th July 2012, 21:14

WorldClassAccident is on a distinguished road
Default Dashboards and centre consoles

i am spending a lot of time thinking about these things at the moment. The Scimi floor tub means i need a centre console that goes up to the dashboard. you can see the rough idea at 11 seconds into this 13 second mock up.

https://picasaweb.google.com/1156603...31336864275330

No dial or switches showing at the moment but looking at these, most seem to have a max fitting depth of 4-6mm. This means either a steel plate or some hardboard with cutouts for the dials.

I quite fancy the GT look and was wondering about veneering the dash. Anyone got any experience/advice?

The "How To" videos on YouTube don't look too difficult. Main structure out of thicker ply, panels with instruments out of metal. Veneer both with some stringing between to allow the different expansions, what could possibly go wrong?

Not looking for a Pebble Beach winner effect but something to disguise the plastic tub reasonably cheaply without resorting to black rubber or badly bent ally.

Advice, criticism, mockery and photo links all welcome
Available from eBay
Old 18th July 2012, 21:32

garyh is on a distinguished road

You should ask 'Seanick', he build boats...
Old 19th July 2012, 08:00

Mister Towed is on a distinguished road

I'm a bit out of my depth when it comes to the G46 as I've never seen a finished one (nobody has...) Why do you need a centre console? Is it to do with the structure of the donor? If it's a purely aesthetic decision I'd be inclined to leave it out which would create a feeling of space rather than confinement in the cockpit. I see where you're going with the veneer idea though, I had a Ford Consul with a veneered centre console in the seventies and it looked pretty cool. But then so did the flares and wedges I wore when I drove it...
Old 19th July 2012, 08:11

Old 19th July 2012, 08:16

I see... I'd be inclined to leave the structure on show, paint it body colour and make a feature out of it.
Old 19th July 2012, 08:21

It is not a great finish and very obviously plastic. Disguising the plasticness is part the reason I painted the underneath black rubber, the other being sound insulation.

I understand where you are coming from with the minimalist and simple interior on the Sammio but I see the G46 as the more mature big brother* so a bit of trimming won't look out of place.

*Read that as fatter and more comfortable.

Probably beyond what I mean and definately beyong my ability but :

Old 19th July 2012, 08:31

Aluminium paint would disguise its plastic pig origins. But I also appreciate that people's taste differs to mine so vive la difference! I'd steer clear of the wood veneer treatment though, unless you're also going for the Disco Stu spangled jump suit, shades and bubble perm to complete the seventies look.

Phil J does a nice line in formed aluminium centre consoles on the cars he's built, might be worth asking him for some hints 'n' tips -

Any old excuse to post pictures of Sammios, eh.
Old 19th July 2012, 08:36

GazDavies is on a distinguished road

Cant help with the veneered look but an idea that I have been kicking around was to cover the whole interior in some thin aluminium to give that shiney, period race car look. It could also work just on the centre console only.
Old 19th July 2012, 08:43

oxford1360 is on a distinguished road
Default Interesting clocks

These are a bit different. Not sure that I like them, just that they are different.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/OLD-CLASSI...#ht_500wt_1185
Old 19th July 2012, 08:43

I was considering the sheet alu look (not the machined look though). My concern was my ability to bend and shape the metal.

I don't know if you can see the mock up in the link on my first post on this thread. I was thinking of a wooden strip across the front forming the dash which would line up with the door capping and then a wooden strip across the back just below the humps.

Basically this forms a 3" wooden hoop around the interior of the car which widens slightly for the dash. There would then be a slightly wider strip joining the front and rear along the central console. The rest would either be tan leather, painted black or body colour. Not quite sure yet.

I am hoping to mock it out with some hardboard first. It is a fine balance between decorative and gaudy, same as minimalist and cheap.

The ally dash looks quite fancy in the picture above but then the wooden box behind it is overly basic imho.

I also have the constraints of no mechanical or aesthetic ability. ;-)
Old 19th July 2012, 08:45

GazDavies - Tinfoil glued to hard board is NOT the way to achieve that. Yes, I did try a little test piece to see.

These huys are just down the road from me so I am planning on wandering over to see what they have : http://stores.ebay.co.uk/Ringwood-Pr..._fsub=14624186

From child hood memories (in Africa and Saudi Arabia) bare metal trim can get blisteringly hot. Not sure if that will be much of an issue in an English summer but perhaps rust will?

Last edited by WorldClassAccident; 19th July 2012 at 08:47..
Old 19th July 2012, 09:35

Quote:
Originally Posted by oxford1360 View Post
These are a bit different. Not sure that I like them, just that they are different.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/OLD-CLASSI...#ht_500wt_1185
They could work in a Sammio. Ideally suited to an early MG replica though and a bit on the pricey side.
Old 19th July 2012, 09:51

and a bit on the pricey side.

Buy an old wardrobe from a charity shop and use the doors and sides as blank panels. That ebay example is simply a flat plank with some holes drilled in it.
Old 19th July 2012, 15:02

BazMason is on a distinguished road

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Classic-Mi...item2a2065c5e0

I know this is a listing for a mini dash, but in the listing it states that they do custom work for individual cars. May be worth asking.
Old 21st July 2012, 12:50

Nike55 is on a distinguished road

..watching this thread with interest WCA.