Are you madabout kit cars      
 "We've Got Kit Cars Covered" Information about Madabout-Kitcars.com Contact Madabout-Kitcars.com         Home of UK kit cars - madabout-kitcars.com Various kit car write ups All the latest kit car news Kit car related and general discussion

Search
Manufacturers
Kit Cars
Kit Car Data sheets
Picture Gallery
SVA Knowledgebase
Clubs & Communities
Build cost estimator
Kit cars for sale
Knowledge Base 
KitcarUSA.com
Classic-Kitcars.com

Go Back   Madabout Kitcars Forum > Mad Build Area > Marlin Sportster, Cabrio, Berlinetta and Roadster builds

Marlin Sportster, Cabrio, Berlinetta and Roadster builds Enthused or Confused about your vintage Marlin build? Ask away here or show off your build.

Old 3rd January 2010, 14:06
Enthusiast

peterux is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatOldOne View Post
Gunk & Gunk Ultra. You can get it from Halfrauds. I used it on my engine before rebuilding, and it did a great job.

Gunk:
http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/s...egoryId_165713

Gunk Ultra:

And if you feel like hugging a tree, Gunk Green:

More expensive than Petrol (but not by much these days), But it does the job brilliantly.
hhmmm...
thanks for that. I always assumed that stuff was for cleaning the outside of engines rather than the internal parts?
I might try a bottle of that ultra stuff and see how it goes...

...thanks, peter
Old 3rd January 2010, 16:40
Enthusiast

GreatOldOne is on a distinguished road

I 'splashed it all over', and it didn't do any harm.

Gunk, rinse, repeat until clean.

Old 6th January 2010, 10:18
Enthusiast

With the weather we've got at the moment, can I also suggest these:

It may come off quicker in lumps...
Old 13th February 2010, 21:19
Enthusiast

I've made some new petrol tank brackets as the originals were rather flimsy. I've made these out of 1mm thick steel and I have designed them so that the tank can be removed and refitted without removing the whole rear tub.

Old 13th February 2010, 21:45
Enthusiast

timbo is on a distinguished road

Nice idea. At some point I want to re-design my rear tub layout to make it easier to access things, hadn't considered the petrol tank tho my petrol tank brackets are only made of ali, seem to ok so far? ....
How the new-look engine progressing? I will be investigating how to chop down the ridiculously large instrument cluster which is currently presiding under my dashboard, so much so that I can't fit the passenger aero screen atm!!! Should be possible to minimise it somehow...
Atb
Tim
Old 14th February 2010, 00:13
Enthusiast

Patrick is on a distinguished road

nice, the one I made are out steel as well. Despite lots of paint they've started to rust a little. I may need to replace them in a few years with some stainless. Good idea making it removable with the tub in place
Old 14th February 2010, 17:42
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by timbo View Post
Nice idea. At some point I want to re-design my rear tub layout to make it easier to access things, hadn't considered the petrol tank tho my petrol tank brackets are only made of ali, seem to ok so far? ....
How the new-look engine progressing? I will be investigating how to chop down the ridiculously large instrument cluster which is currently presiding under my dashboard, so much so that I can't fit the passenger aero screen atm!!! Should be possible to minimise it somehow...
Atb
Tim
Hi Tim,
i'd keep an eye on those ali brakets as a full tank of petrol is surprising heavy.
My new engine project is on hold as I've decided to get the car painted, so that is the priority. I haven't done much over the winter so didn't want to start the engine refit and then not have a running car for this summer. Maybe next winter?

The bmw intrustrment cluster plastic cowling comes off quite easily leaving a much flattter structure to hide somewhere.

...peter
Old 15th February 2010, 12:19
Enthusiast

MartinClan is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterux View Post
Hi Tim,
i'd keep an eye on those ali brakets as a full tank of petrol is surprising heavy.
My new engine project is on hold as I've decided to get the car painted, so that is the priority. I haven't done much over the winter so didn't want to start the engine refit and then not have a running car for this summer. Maybe next winter?

The bmw intrustrment cluster plastic cowling comes off quite easily leaving a much flattter structure to hide somewhere.

...peter
I would second that. IMHO bog standard alluminium (like you get on Ebay or at B&Q) is not really suitable for something like tank straps as it easily fatigues. I made my first ones from ally and they had started to show signs of fatigue at the bends even before I had used the car! In the end I obtained some galvanised steel strips (about 2x the thickness of the originals) and made mine from that.

BTW - I didn't use the Marlin ones because I thought they weren't up to it - but because I moved the tank up about 2" to provide clearance for the exhaust. As a bonus it is better protected as it sits between the chassis rails and it also doesn't show below the rear tub as it does in the standard position. Gonna prove trickey to remove though if I have to take it out at any time....

Robin
Old 2nd March 2010, 19:29
Enthusiast

timbo is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the advice guys, I will swap them for something stronger when I get the chance...

Well, today I removed the instrument cluster, chopped off the protruding part and stuck a nice flat piece of perspex on, and re-fitted it. Lots of room now! Took it for a test drive to a friends house, came out, wouldn't start. Same old immobiliser problem. Nice Green Flag man towed me home (unlike before when I didn't have a number plate!!).
So back to the drawing board, or finding someone who can re-programme the ECU, EWS and key. Something to do tomorrow. It had been starting fine, so don't know if it was the act of taking the instrument cluster out upset it??

Also, the speedo (Marlin-supplied) came on with the calibration setting in view, rather than the distance, and the speedo then didn't work. No amount of pressing the button or replacing the plug at the back seemed to work. Anyone else had this problem??
Thanks
Tim
Old 24th April 2010, 11:29
Enthusiast

Just a quick post to say the car is back together and just went for my first blast this year!

all I can say yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee haaaaaaaaaaaah!

I'd forgotten how much fun it is without the windscreen!

The car's now back at the painters for a week to have its finishing polish.
Old 30th April 2010, 21:05
Enthusiast

Default Just back from the painter....

After a quick dash back through the rain tonight from the painter, my Sportster's back home looking sublime.
The paintwork is superb!

It's still covered rain in this picture and the Lexus pearlescent paint seems impossible to capture on camera. The keen eyed will notice she's been out shopping for new matching accessories to go with her new frock.

Hopefully tommorow i'll be fitting windscreen, hood, passenger seat, mudfalps, etc, etc

...peter
Old 1st May 2010, 07:55
Enthusiast

Mike is on a distinguished road

Quote:
After a quick dash back through the rain tonight from the painter, my Sportster's back home looking sublime.
The paintwork is superb!

It's still covered rain in this picture and the Lexus pearlescent paint seems impossible to capture on camera. The keen eyed will notice she's been out shopping for new matching accessories to go with her new frock.

Hopefully tommorow i'll be fitting windscreen, hood, passenger seat, mudfalps, etc, etc

...peter
Peter
You must be very pleased with the paint job - it looks superb: well done.

You've worried me though - why have you abandoned the TR6 exhausts?
I 've just spent hours and hours building my system around two TR6 back boxes - and you choose to discard yours!!??
What did your original system sound like?

Mike - alias "Worried"
Old 1st May 2010, 09:26
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike View Post
Peter
You must be very pleased with the paint job - it looks superb: well done.

You've worried me though - why have you abandoned the TR6 exhausts?
I 've just spent hours and hours building my system around two TR6 back boxes - and you choose to discard yours!!??
What did your original system sound like?

Mike - alias "Worried"
Mike, no need to be worried and they'll sound great.
Mine were secondhand off eBay and scratched and dented. I tried painting them but beacuse the were stanless they looked even worse, so I got some new ones. I fancied the twin tail pipe look so went for these Jetex ones.

No need to worry at all about yours, this was more of a 'fashion' purchase than performance. The new ones are slightly louder so not sure if they would have passed the IVA
Old 1st May 2010, 10:14
Enthusiast

MartinClan is on a distinguished road

Quote:
The paintwork is superb!

...peter
Ooooooo cant wait to see it in the flesh.

Robin
Old 1st May 2010, 10:27
Enthusiast

Veeeery nice too
Old 2nd May 2010, 22:44
Enthusiast

Mike is on a distinguished road

Quote:
The paintwork is superb!

Peter

It looks even better in the flesh - what a fabulous car.
Respect!:
Mike
Old 24th May 2010, 22:14
Enthusiast

I finished my car and gave it a good first polish at the weekend.

Lots more pictures here....

http://www.flickr.com/photos/peters-...7623840109919/
Old 25th May 2010, 07:27
Enthusiast

need giant drool smiley, very nice
Old 25th May 2010, 07:37
Enthusiast

Again, very nice (as I told you at stoneliegh)
Old 5th June 2010, 17:22
Enthusiast

Default MOT time again

Well I took the Sportster down for its annual health check and MOT today.

I took it to the same place as the last two MOT's but for some reason they seemed a bit more wary about it this time? Very insistant that they checked the chassis number before even starting the test?

Anyway they ran through the test starting with the usual lights, horn, wipers routine. They then gave the car a very close visual inspection, suspension and steering test and tested the emmisions which were fine. They then backed it out the garage and parked it up.
A few minutes later the guy came out with a pass certificate. It all seemed a bit odd so whilst paying I cautiuosly inquired if they tested the brakes?
"No", he said, "we didn't want to damage your car on the rollers"??
For a fleeting moment I considered asking them to test it again but quickly decided to quit while I was ahead and left for the nice drive home!

...peter

Last edited by peterux; 5th June 2010 at 17:24.. Reason: bad typing