Are you madabout kit cars      
 "We've Got Kit Cars Covered" Information about Madabout-Kitcars.com Contact Madabout-Kitcars.com         Home of UK kit cars - madabout-kitcars.com Various kit car write ups All the latest kit car news Kit car related and general discussion

Search
Manufacturers
Kit Cars
Kit Car Data sheets
Picture Gallery
SVA Knowledgebase
Clubs & Communities
Build cost estimator
Kit cars for sale
Knowledge Base 
KitcarUSA.com
Classic-Kitcars.com

Go Back   Madabout Kitcars Forum > Mad Build Area > Sammio Builds and discussions

Sammio Builds and discussions Sammio bodied car builds and specials

Old 27th January 2013, 15:10

Viatron is on a distinguished road

I still maintain that Micks launch of this product clearly based on a brand Gary, and I'm presuming Mick both profited from in some way so soon after the transfer is out of order, even if he has changed it so that he can say its a new design at the very very best it smacks of sharp practise.

Last edited by Viatron; 27th January 2013 at 15:30..
Old 27th January 2013, 15:26

seanick is on a distinguished road

Exactly, proof of the pudding is in the eating. Until either offering has a price tag and can be viewed and compared it makes no odds. One company may lose a few sales to the other, and visa versa. Those few lost sales will cost far less than legal action, were the only winners are the solicitors.

If the Migalia Speedster is moulded from that buck/plug then the finish may be good enough to have a gel coat finish.
Im of to work on my Tribute MX250. Im gonna lock the door in case Ferrari come knocking....
Old 27th January 2013, 15:35

davecymru is on a distinguished road

apart from the rear end looking quite similar, and that in itself came from an even older kit, from the back of the drivers seat forwards is different, similar, but different.

I don't think that Mike will deny that he started with bits of an original Sammio as inspiration and then went his own way from there.

Before people start jumping to conclusions (which is always too easy on the interweb) I think that we all need full details of the kit / donor etc and even then, as others have pointed out, this is more than different enough to the Ribble Spyder to be a product on its own. Just look at the minimal differences between 7 kits to see how they differentiate themselves.

The argument that someone could take a Spyder and turn it into this with a lot of reworking doesn't mean that the original Ribble (as delivered from the factory) is the same as this, as its not.
Andy, I can fully understand why you'd be 'irked' by this competitor coming onto the scene, but from a customer perspective, the more the merrier!
Old 27th January 2013, 15:37

AndyP57 is on a distinguished road

I just published our latest price tags on our web site this morning. Any model's shell comes complete at £999.00. The framework is now a separate item which the builder can choose to take or not.
Old 27th January 2013, 15:50

Viatron is on a distinguished road

And the miglia is triumph vitesse based, Theres a coincidence!
Old 27th January 2013, 17:41

tlrtone is on a distinguished road

Well, If you look at all the cobra kits and Lotus 7 kits out there, then a bit of competition is a healthy one for the consumer.
We can look at the quality of the kit, the customer service, price etc and make our own minds up, just as if we were building a cobra or the like.

Having seen Mike's new set up, and yes, it is the old workshop that Gary used to have, I have been impressed enough to order my own kit.

The finish is excellent, the door fit lovely, as does the bonnet, and the weeks of sanding down have gone, as the final finish out of the mould is excellent.

History tells of many competitions over products , MP3's - from Sony Walkmans to Apples, and many, many cars.

I think companies, that just fight through solicitors don't seem to get the fact it is the consumer that chooses.

Mike has many, many years of fibreglass moulding behind him, and whilst Gary had the original idea, Mike did the majority of the work in shaping and moulding the Sammio Spyder. His skill is more than evident in the quality of the Miglia Speedster kit.

For me, I put my money with someone that knows what they are doing, and I am sorry to say Andy that what I have seen so far from Ribble, I am not yet convinced you can deliver a quality product.

If I were you I would just concentrate on making a better product to beat the competition rather than just moaning that someone has copied the original sammio concept. How do you know someone who has bought an old Sammio spyder is not copying it in their workshop somewhere?
Old 27th January 2013, 18:13

seanick is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viatron View Post
And the miglia is triumph vitesse based, Theres a coincidence!
As are other kit cars, Burlington Arrow. Burlington SS, Moss, some Gentry's, and the A352. The list is endless.

Last edited by seanick; 27th January 2013 at 20:33..
Old 28th January 2013, 01:13

Mister Towed is on a distinguished road

Oh dear

http://www.madabout-kitcars.com/foru...ead.php?t=3486

http://www.ipo.gov.uk/
Old 28th January 2013, 06:46

tlrtone is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Towed View Post

And I stand by what I said Mr T.

There is a slight twist here though in that Mike had a hand in the original idea so to some extent it is his design as well. He must have been gutted when it was sold out from under him.

He didn't profit in any way from the sale of the Sammio business as far as I am aware.

Remember:
Apple were not the first to the MP3 market
Google were not the first Internet search engine
Facebook was not the first social media site

The point here is that all the above companies did a very similar thing to an existing product but did it better.
The consumer made their choice.

Andy has invested time and money and so has Mike.

May the best man win.
Old 28th January 2013, 09:43

Anyway, now I've finished making that sound in my throat that Marge Simpson makes when she disapproves of something, Mike, how the ruddy hell do you get such a great shine on your paintwork?

That finish is awsome . What's the secret?

Oh, and given the events of the last 24 hours I'll understand completely if you now tell me to do one...
Old 28th January 2013, 18:08

mikmiglia is on a distinguished road

Hi mr towed how are you today, i will help you dont be silly

Basically lots and lots of preparation. Once all filler work done , i sprayed the miglia in three coats of high build primer. Misted a guiede coat all over the body, and blocked the car with a block and 240 gritt paper. Once done re primed again with two coats of high build and once dryed repeated the process with 500 and then 600 wet and dry paper. Coloured and lacquered , and moped after.

Allways here to help folks
Old 28th January 2013, 20:30

garyh is on a distinguished road

So basically Mike, when you think you've finished go again.
Old 28th January 2013, 20:40

Quote:
Originally Posted by garyh View Post
You got it in one, prep is the key
Old 28th January 2013, 21:08

lancelot link is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by garyh View Post
We still talking about paint prep ?
Old 28th January 2013, 23:28

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikmiglia View Post
Hi mr towed how are you today, i will help you dont be silly

Basically lots and lots of preparation. Once all filler work done , i sprayed the miglia in three coats of high build primer. Misted a guiede coat all over the body, and blocked the car with a block and 240 gritt paper. Once done re primed again with two coats of high build and once dryed repeated the process with 500 and then 600 wet and dry paper. Coloured and lacquered , and moped after.

Allways here to help folks
Thanks for the tips Mike, couple of questions from a total novice though:

When you say 'blocked' are you talking about a regular, cork sanding block?

I recall from a previous thread that 'mop' is sprayer's slang for polish, but what brand/type do you recommend?

I guess you're using 2-pack paint colour coat as you've lacquered it, anything different I should do/know when using old fashioned cellulose?

I think that's about it for now, I'm off to bed to dream about ways to install my bonnet louvres...
Old 30th January 2013, 04:17

Hi mate, your bonnet louvres look good by the way good job. I like using a rubber block for rubbing down , as i find it will shape up better. As for the mopping lol, This is a machine that runs at a steady pace ,a bit like myself these days , you will need polishing compound, maybe a g3 or like . If your looking for a nice flat paint finish , you will more likely to get this in a spray booth. So im thinking your painting in a small garage , make sure you well ventilate and wear a decent mask . I dampen down the floor prior spraying as to stop any dust being kicked up by your self. Wear paper overalls also to help dust,and take your time .

When your ready for the polishing stage, i surggest flating down the paint starting with 1500 wet and dry to 2000. You can even buy 3000 for final , but thats up to you. When you have flatted and dryed up, apply a small amount of compond and keep a water spray bottle to keep the area cool when moping. Do one an area time , you might need to repeat a couple of time depending on paint finish. Keep the mop away from edges, and dont hold the mop in one area as you will burn paint!!. nice side to side flowing.

Its all a practice , its your first time , so all i can say , is mega preparation and degreasing prior primer and paint , plus take your time.
Old 30th January 2013, 07:47

Thanks Mike, I'm looking forward to having a go.