Are you madabout kit cars      
 "We've Got Kit Cars Covered" Information about Madabout-Kitcars.com Contact Madabout-Kitcars.com         Home of UK kit cars - madabout-kitcars.com Various kit car write ups All the latest kit car news Kit car related and general discussion

Search
Manufacturers
Kit Cars
Kit Car Data sheets
Picture Gallery
SVA Knowledgebase
Clubs & Communities
Build cost estimator
Kit cars for sale
Knowledge Base 
KitcarUSA.com
Classic-Kitcars.com

Go Back   Madabout Kitcars Forum > Mad Chat > General chatter

General chatter This is the place to talk about anything kit car related that doesn't come under any of the other categories

Old 16th February 2009, 16:02

lchapi is on a distinguished road
Lightbulb 20v turbo engine - transaxle box

has anyone used an audi/vw/seat/skoda 20vturbo engine in a kit car and if so whst box did they use ? any info would be great and much use cheers

The main reason i suggest this is because its a nice little 1.8 loads of them about and with a lil tuning can be easily 250-270bhp just on a remap and over 300bhp if your good and can up the boost. plus with it been a vw german engine shud be pretty bullit proof if unmodded.

i have been thinking of using this engine in a spire gtr / xtr4 type car or maybe even a seven type car keeping it too around the 500kg weight and u cud have 600bhp/ton.

or would you say too much torque from the turbo kick that the car would be uncontrollable.

(please excuse he poor typing i have a messed up right arm in a sling atm so im now judt typing lefty and thinking up crazy new projects while im of work with it.)
Available from eBay
Old 16th February 2009, 17:14
Enthusiast

limpabit is on a distinguished road

There's Justin's Aeon.

http://www.seriouswheels.com/cars/20...8-Aeon-GT3.htm

Very highly tuned.

And there are 2 Marlin 5EXI's that I know I going through the transformation at the minute. Including mine. So can't comment at the moment how good the engine is in the car, but been told there good engines.

Using a Rover gearbox as the clutch hydraulics and gear change can be kept. The 6 speed did not fit.
Old 16th February 2009, 17:40

lchapi is on a distinguished road

ahh cheers for that

and yes the engines are suppost to be very good.

oh thatss a shame bout the 6 speed as thats a very smooth good box there is a 5 speed vw/audi box but they bend selector forks alot from what ive heard from a few people.
Old 16th February 2009, 22:29
Enthusiast

alackofspeed is on a distinguished road

You have 2 basic options with the 1.8t if you use a gearbox from the VAG range. There's the transverse range of gearboxes, and then there's the range from the passat / a4 / a6, which is for longtudinal installations, with the engine just ahead of the axle line. A friend of mine is putting an audi s4 engine in a lotus espirt, using an audi a4 gearbox. Neat solution.
Old 17th February 2009, 05:14
Enthusiast

limpabit is on a distinguished road

There is this site using the engine with a GTM Libra.

http://www.gtmlibra.nl

But needs a good translator. Tried a few translators, but no success. (google etc.)