Are you madabout kit cars      
 "We've Got Kit Cars Covered" Information about Madabout-Kitcars.com Contact Madabout-Kitcars.com         Home of UK kit cars - madabout-kitcars.com Various kit car write ups All the latest kit car news Kit car related and general discussion

Search
Manufacturers
Kit Cars
Kit Car Data sheets
Picture Gallery
SVA Knowledgebase
Clubs & Communities
Build cost estimator
Kit cars for sale
Knowledge Base 
KitcarUSA.com
Classic-Kitcars.com

Go Back   Madabout Kitcars Forum > Mad Build Area > Marlin 5exi builds

Marlin 5exi builds Calling all you sexi builders....sorry 5exi builders, show us your progress.

Old 31st March 2009, 17:07

tony rs2000 is on a distinguished road
Default MGF Pedal box?

HI:
I am just trying to plan my build before I make a start.
I have decided to go hydraulic clutch, I know it has been covered in various threads using a 400 clutch pedal and 200 pedal box. I am going 1.8 VVC. I know many prefer the Honda route but I have the engine and box and I am not really looking for a very fast car, one that handles well and stops straight would suit me. I am a too use to driving my 130TDI Passat.
The MGF is hydraulic clutch so I was wondering would the complete pedal box work?
also can I take the slave cylinder and brackets off the MGF gearbox?

Thanks in advance
TONY
Available from eBay
Old 31st March 2009, 17:28
Enthusiast

alackofspeed is on a distinguished road

Limpabit is the man to answer these questions, as he has a PG1 gearbox with hydraulic clutch and mgf shift mechanism.

If you've got an early chassis, you will need to address the handling woes to get a car you're happy with. Marlin are aware that the early cars had some unpleasant characteristics, and sell new components to address some issues (bumpsteer, and toe stability). Track Developments (who have extensively modified my car and Ken Robson's car) have a "bolt on" handling pack at design stage.

Ken Robson's car with a 1.8 vvc is very capable on uk tracks, so power with the 1.8 will be fine, but you need to give the handling some considerable thought before you embark down a particular route. If you search the forum, you'll discover it has been discussed at length. It's the one major issue that compromises an otherwise very good toy car.... the early cars at least - I've not driven a newer chassis.
Old 1st April 2009, 05:31
Enthusiast

limpabit is on a distinguished road

Hi Tony.

The pedal box I'm not sure of with the MGF. I used the 200 pedal box and chopped to bits so they are all separate pedals. Used a Rover 600 (TI or diesel) master cylinder. Do you have the bigger fuel tank? If so it's going to be a bugger getting in and out with the master cylinder fitted.

Just on the verge of playing with the gearbox and slave mounting bracket from the MGF. Been told the slave cylinder is identical to a Rover 600 as well. So mine should fit. Though you will need to change the clutch release arm.

I've had a couple of gearboxes that have broken/cracked at the mount on the gearbox. So toying with the gearbox mount from the MGF.

Also used the gear change cables/brackets etc from the MGF. Gearchanges are a lot better now.

Have a look here for hydraulic clutch.

http://www.kitcar.good-hosting.co.uk/dash.htm

And the complete build site though quite a bit out of date. A lot has changed.

http://www.kitcar.good-hosting.co.uk/

The other thing to look out for are the rear brakes. The hubs are too big for the discs so will need machining. Steering arms could do with strengthening on the standard Marlin ones.
Old 1st April 2009, 08:30
Enthusiast

eaa53 is on a distinguished road

The advantage of using the MGF PG1 mounting bracket is that it also gives you the clutch slave cylinder mounting as well.

I was able to change the chassis mounting hole to match the mount with a Rover rubber mount. As Jon stated you need to bag the hydraulic actuator arm as well as its 90deg different to the cable actuator arm. Changes no problem if the g/box engine are apart.

eaa53

Last edited by eaa53; 1st April 2009 at 08:30.. Reason: spelling
Old 1st April 2009, 08:41
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by eaa53 View Post
The advantage of using the MGF PG1 mounting bracket is that it also gives you the clutch slave cylinder mounting as well.

I was able to change the chassis mounting hole to match the mount with a Rover rubber mount. As Jon stated you need to bag the hydraulic actuator arm as well as its 90deg different to the cable actuator arm. Changes no problem if the g/box engine are apart.

eaa53
I had no choice but to use the cluth mounting bracket from the MGF. Because on the T series the clutch bracket is on the engine adapter plate. But no more T series.

I have a mounting on the chassis near the suspension leg. Was this not suitable on your chassis John? On the outside of the chassis rail if that makes sense?
Old 1st April 2009, 16:01
Enthusiast

I would not advise mounting the clutch slave on the chassis as the movement of the engine would interfere with the clutch operation.

By using the MGF mount as the gearbox mounting and the slave cylinder the slave moves with the gearbox no problem.

JohnC
Old 1st April 2009, 17:25
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by eaa53 View Post
I was able to change the chassis mounting hole to match the mount with a Rover rubber mount.
eaa53
Sorry John. I miss quoted. Did you have to change the chassis mounting hole for the MGF gearbox mount bracket to fit on the chassis?

If so, do you have any pictures?
Old 3rd April 2009, 10:57
Enthusiast

Sorry for the delay just had to shake off the last job to free up some time.

Currently access to my Web based pictures is offline but there is a thread that shows the set up.

If you look at my post for 16th July 2008, 19:33, named 'Update From Somerset'. At the very end of that thread there is a picture showing the rear gearbox mountings both the top mount and the original Rover lower sump mounting, you can see that I moved the mounting hole on the top mount about 1/2 inch(sorry 12mm ) to the near side.

This if I recall correctly maintained the engine, level with the right height to match the offside standard Rover mount and cleared all the chassis members.

Now I have the nice weather and the time again I need to fabricate a 'dogbone' brace for the off-side mounting back to the bulkhead behind the drivers seat as I ripped the original rubber mount in half first time I dropped the clutch.

I have other pictures if you need more understanding.

Nice to be back to the spanners again.

JohnC
Old 3rd April 2009, 11:46
Enthusiast

Thanks for that John. I think I can just make out the gearbox mount under the battery tray there.

I'll be having a play with mine very soon.
Old 3rd April 2009, 12:02
Enthusiast

Default Gearbox Mounting

This shot may be of more use to you if you wanted the general layout.

It does not show the moved bolting position or the slave or the aft stay but shows clearly the mounting and the spacers I used to position the engine.

This one is out of focus but shows the assembly.

JohnC
Old 3rd April 2009, 12:24
Enthusiast

Thanks for that John. That's great.

I'm trying to go away from the mounting point on the chassis as I've had two broken mounts on the gearbox. Can't say for sure that it's the swing angle of the mount causing it. But have my doubts.

My mount looks different from yours.

Mines like this.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/MGF-MG-F-MGTF-...ayphotohosting