Are you madabout kit cars      
 "We've Got Kit Cars Covered" Information about Madabout-Kitcars.com Contact Madabout-Kitcars.com         Home of UK kit cars - madabout-kitcars.com Various kit car write ups All the latest kit car news Kit car related and general discussion

Search
Manufacturers
Kit Cars
Kit Car Data sheets
Picture Gallery
SVA Knowledgebase
Clubs & Communities
Build cost estimator
Kit cars for sale
Knowledge Base 
KitcarUSA.com
Classic-Kitcars.com

Go Back   Madabout Kitcars Forum > Mad Build Area > Marlin 5exi builds

Marlin 5exi builds Calling all you sexi builders....sorry 5exi builders, show us your progress.

Old 8th June 2007, 13:18
Enthusiast

Jon@JNRacing.co.uk is on a distinguished road
Cool JNRacing.co.uk - 5EXi-R GT

It has been a while since I made a post so I thought I’d let you all know what’s been going on.

Our car came back at the beginning of May, with a fair bit of work to be done before we could move onto the next stage. Most of the work has now been carried out and the car looks tidier and cleaner for one.

The Next Stage,
As of today the official GT body design has been released, (this is in the gallery) and work will start on our car within the next few weeks, once the wheels turn up. The bodywork is estimated to take around 8-10weeks due to the amount of work involved. Well the car is away our website and sponsors page will be updated, as we don't have anything else to do, plus to let everyone know what Marlin actually did when it was with them along with lots of pictures.

We are still on target to be mechanically complete within 1year and 100% complete including all cosmetic packages & set up within 18 months, just in time for the start of the 2008 Season

Your thoughts on the design would be appreciated, (as its not to late. Yet)

Jon & Nick @JNRacing.co.uk
Available from eBay
Old 8th June 2007, 15:35
Enthusiast

Fuoriserie is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon@JNRacing.co.uk View Post
Your thoughts on the design would be appreciated, (as its not to late. Yet)

Jon & Nick @JNRacing.co.uk
Couldn't find the gallery with the new design..but could you post a picture here?
Is the new car going to be a Coupe GT design?
Looking forward to it...

Italo
Old 8th June 2007, 17:30
Enthusiast

craig is on a distinguished road

http://www.madabout-kitcars.com/kitc...ry.php?cid=201

Hi John, As I have the doored car..... apart from the obvious rear spoiler (which although I know why you have done I personally don't like) I am struggling to see the differance?

I am assuming you have widened the arches for the 8" rear wheels? Are they 8"?

Could you talk us through your mods?

Cheers
Craig
Old 9th June 2007, 17:00
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuoriserie View Post
Couldn't find the gallery with the new design..but could you post a picture here?
Is the new car going to be a Coupe GT design?
Looking forward to it...

Italo
It will be there soon, I hope just put it in again incase it didnt load,
This design is just for our car and is very thin & light and has nothing to do with Marlin.

Our car will look like the doored version as we are trying to keep as mainy features as possible as well as making it a more practical car for us, It is not a coupe as this adds a lot of unnessary wiegh and the 5EXi wasn't built as a coupe.

Sorry.

Quote:
Originally Posted by craig View Post
http://www.madabout-kitcars.com/kitc...ry.php?cid=201

Hi John, As I have the doored car..... apart from the obvious rear spoiler (which although I know why you have done I personally don't like) I am struggling to see the differance?

I am assuming you have widened the arches for the 8" rear wheels? Are they 8"?

Could you talk us through your mods?

Cheers
Craig
Hi Craig,

Ours will look a lot like the doored version, you shell see that once the NEW pictures are there, the skech is old and now I have drawn up some design using CAD, a lot easyer. We are keeping as many feature lines as possible to keep it looking like the others but both sides of the car are basically just being pulled out totally as the car is a bit wider.

Ill list below what we are aiming to do with a few snap shots as well,

Wheels
Front 7.5" - Rear 9"

Width (edge of rim)
Front 1725 mm
Rear 1775 mm

Width Hubs face - Hub face = 1580 mm
Old 9th June 2007, 18:29
Enthusiast

Hopefully the image shows,

Brief Discription
On the main drawing we have, a new front splitter design with built in brake ducts, which are larger, custom scoops are also being made for these. The large hole in the middle is to gain more air intake into the radiator to enable it to cool better (plus looks a bit better, I think). The lights are fitted in the same place and are moulded into the body with brackets on the inside to support the light better. Ours will be fitted better so they don’t stick out in the corner like most the EXi's do. The front arches will come out to cover over the wheels and that will all be moulded into the front so it all looks one piece. At the back of the arch there will be an air vent to let the turbulent air from the wheel travel along the side of the car where the rear scoops will suck it in, the panel along the side of the car is curved so that the air rushes into the scoop and doesn't just disappear. The Rear scoop is a custom 12" x 4" but this depends on the rear wheels, as the arches will flow into the scoop to make it look a little like the Lotus Exige Sport. The scoop will have two 3" pipes coming off of it into the engine bay where both pipes will be joined into one and this is on both sides. The one pipe from each side will then joined again with a 2 into 1 and then go into the inlet manifold. There is also talk about the air vent on the passenger side being used as well. The rear is also being changed as well as you may see form the second picture. The curves will still be there but we are filling in the dips and pulling the panel back a little to have more clearance around the wheels. The 'shelf' that the current rear wing sits on will be extended along the back of the car and this is where our new wing will sit, the mounts are a lot further apart for better support as our wing is NOT the standard Marlin one. We are also cutting a large rectangle out the back which will be covered in S/S mesh with JNRacing Sprayed in black paint. This is to let some of the air that comes down the side of the car out and plus all the heat from out exhaust system. The rear number plate panel will be smoothed over but will still be removable.

Bonnet Catches
As some of you may be aware Marlin fit chrome catches, which are ok but for racing are a bit of a pain as they are not safe enough and a strap has to be fitted. As we are having the body modified in such a way we have decided to fit FIA Approved Aero Catches, the new style bonnet pins, like they use in BTCC & DTM etc.

Finally before anyone asks me JNRacing MAY make the GT body available to EXi owners in the future but we are still discussing this between ourselves as well as working out if this can be done and we also need to confront Marlin on this issue. We are also putting an aero package together as well, which again also may become available to other EXi owners. This will consist of Adjustable Front Splitter, Adjustable Rear Diffuser (including venturi tunnels) & an Adjustable Rear Wing (or spoiler, same thing).

We are changing a few other things as well but sadly it all takes time and a lot of money, so will announce those changes once we are closer to having them done.

Jon
Old 13th June 2007, 18:00
Enthusiast

Anyone got any comments before we take the plunge and start re-working the body??

Jon
Old 10th October 2007, 13:24
Enthusiast

Just so that anyone out there was thinking about buying the GT body from JNRacing, it has been decided that it will NOT be available. PM me for more details.

Sorry to disapoint any of you that where thinking of using it.

Jon