Are you madabout kit cars      
 "We've Got Kit Cars Covered" Information about Madabout-Kitcars.com Contact Madabout-Kitcars.com         Home of UK kit cars - madabout-kitcars.com Various kit car write ups All the latest kit car news Kit car related and general discussion

Search
Manufacturers
Kit Cars
Kit Car Data sheets
Picture Gallery
SVA Knowledgebase
Clubs & Communities
Build cost estimator
Kit cars for sale
Knowledge Base 
KitcarUSA.com
Classic-Kitcars.com

Go Back   Madabout Kitcars Forum > Mad Build Area > Marlin 5exi builds

Marlin 5exi builds Calling all you sexi builders....sorry 5exi builders, show us your progress.

Old 13th September 2007, 08:54
Enthusiast

Jon@JNRacing.co.uk is on a distinguished road
Default Fuel System??

Mainly for those people that have 2L Turbo & K20 but what have you done for your fuel system?

Im thinking of fitting 1 high pressure fuel pump at the front rather than a low, then fit a swirl pot in the engine bay with a racing high pressure pump/regulater from that into the engine.

Cheers Jon
Available from eBay
Old 13th September 2007, 13:11
Enthusiast

BIG_Fella is on a distinguished road

I have just fitted the rover pump in the tank
and a fuel reg at the front as well
i currently have a gauge at the rear next the the fuel rail to set the dead head rail pressure this will be replaced with a pressure sender at some point and connected to my digidash
Due to the fact that i dont have drive shafts yet i can rev the engine to the limiter and have see no pressure drops so at the mow all seams will
Just wish my up rated vw mount would arive then i can put the engine back in again an hear her purrrrrrrrr ( new head gasket and baffeled sump )
Old 13th September 2007, 23:23
Enthusiast

alackofspeed is on a distinguished road

Rover 200, with filter in the front, and regulator near the rail.

I don't reckon it's adeqoute for sustained full throttle (at least I've not seen any flow figures, and i'm not taking chances), so once through the SVA I'll add an extra pump, and just use the Rover unit as a lift pump / level sender.
Old 14th September 2007, 22:28
Enthusiast

Ric H is on a distinguished road

I did a flowcheck on the Rover pump and wasn't happy with the it for the risk of starvation. I ended up modifying the rover in-tank swirl pot by installing a walbro 190 series pump in it - good for about 300HP - which I'm running at about 55psi. I wanted to keep the rover swirl pot because I liked the clever venturi pickup arrangement it incorporated. I fitted my regulator at the front to avoid running a return line. Only afterwards thought about the pressure drop implications, but hey, if a regulator at the tank is good enough for honda it will do for me.
Old 16th September 2007, 11:22
Enthusiast

Rich,

I thought about doing what you've done, but never took the gamble of buying a pump on the offchance it wouldn't fit.

It's good to learn you've done it sucessfully. Which exact pump did you buy, and how much of a fiddle was it to fit?

If you could let me know, I'll follow your example.

Good luck for tomorrow.

John.
Old 17th September 2007, 12:28
Enthusiast

I'd like to say it was simple, but it was anything but! I bought the upgrade pump from here: http://www.fuelsystem.co.uk/
I spoke to them on the phone so they could send the right fittings. However, although the pump fits in the Rover swirlpot/sender assembly, it does not incorporate the venturi lifter on the bottom of the pump. I ended up cannibalising the old pump for the venturi/filter arrangement, then drilling a small (1mm) hole in the casing of my new pump (!), and connecting a small bore brass pipe to run high pressure fuel from the new casing outlet to the venturi jet. Sounds fiddly? It was! The finished item looks a bit heath robinson, but does the trick, and the venturi keeps the swirlpot full up. I don't know that I'd do the same again though. If starting again from scratch I'd probably install a new separate swirl pot and my regulator at the back, with a new pump fitted, and use the rover pump simply to feed this, as others have suggested.
Old 17th September 2007, 12:37
Enthusiast

I knew I had a photo:

The cable ties hold the thing together while I popped it into the swirl pot.
The jubilee clip holds the flared brass pipe onto the small hole. Rubber sheet provides the seal.
You can see the brass pipe wraps behind the pump and enters the venturi arrangement) top right in the picture. There's a tiny pinhole nozzle inside there that jets across the intake and out through the green plastic nozzle (just visible) into the swirl pot.
Richard
Old 17th September 2007, 14:27
Enthusiast

Cheers Rich.

I think I'll sack off the modification route, and just drop a high flow second pump in. The simpler the route I take, the quicker I can get to SVA stage!

John.