Are you madabout kit cars      
 "We've Got Kit Cars Covered" Information about Madabout-Kitcars.com Contact Madabout-Kitcars.com         Home of UK kit cars - madabout-kitcars.com Various kit car write ups All the latest kit car news Kit car related and general discussion

Search
Manufacturers
Kit Cars
Kit Car Data sheets
Picture Gallery
SVA Knowledgebase
Clubs & Communities
Build cost estimator
Kit cars for sale
Knowledge Base 
KitcarUSA.com
Classic-Kitcars.com

Go Back   Madabout Kitcars Forum > Mad Build Area > Marlin Sportster, Cabrio, Berlinetta and Roadster builds

Marlin Sportster, Cabrio, Berlinetta and Roadster builds Enthused or Confused about your vintage Marlin build? Ask away here or show off your build.

Old 15th October 2012, 15:24
Enthusiast

Mike is on a distinguished road
Default New Sportster Build Needs Help With M52

Cameron Mitchell has posted a thread on the MOC Sportster Forum asking for help with regard to physically fitting an E39 engine (looks like an M52/54?) into his Sportster.
Can any of you Sportster builders help?
Available from eBay
Old 15th October 2012, 18:45
Enthusiast

peterux is on a distinguished road

Hi Mike,
Cameron dropped me a PM last night with some questions and I sent him a lot of the same links as you

He is registered here on madabout as well, so maybe he'll be along later to give us more info on his build. I can already see he has a very large garage that is well organised and he has the first Sportster I've seen using the complete e39 rear suspension.

I think his engine is an M52 or as you say maybe an M54. The main difference seems to be the electronic throttle cable. He certainly does have dual VANOS and the M52 type inlet manifold with variable length tracts. It does mean the inlet manifold sticks out more than the M50 manifold.

I suspect his offset engine mounting is deliberate but thinking about it, a call into Marlin wouldn't go amiss to confirm since they do occasionally ship the wrong parts.
I also suggested he contact Mark about disabling the immobiliser but I think there was that guy at Stoneliegh that knew someone who could do the necessary. (John from Warwick?)
Maybe Timbo can now help??

I think there are now a few examples of re-mounting the alternator (yourself, Ian (Morris) and NigelB)

I think his biggest challenge will be mastering the electronics.....should be fun

I wonder if Marlin supplied him with an MBM servo??

...peter