Are you madabout kit cars      
 "We've Got Kit Cars Covered" Information about Madabout-Kitcars.com Contact Madabout-Kitcars.com         Home of UK kit cars - madabout-kitcars.com Various kit car write ups All the latest kit car news Kit car related and general discussion

Search
Manufacturers
Kit Cars
Kit Car Data sheets
Picture Gallery
SVA Knowledgebase
Clubs & Communities
Build cost estimator
Kit cars for sale
Knowledge Base 
KitcarUSA.com
Classic-Kitcars.com

Go Back   Madabout Kitcars Forum > Mad Chat > General chatter

General chatter This is the place to talk about anything kit car related that doesn't come under any of the other categories

Old 19th January 2009, 13:55

p1slick is on a distinguished road
Default first big problem

hi guys i own a westfield kit car, it has a 205 pinto block, the car was running fine up till about a week ago when on a clear day i took it out, i noticed that the car was smoking near the engine and that about fifteen mins later as i was driving home the car began knocking, since then i have started it again and it is still knocking and was wondering whats the best thing to do about it should i just buy a brand new engine or should i get the current engine rebuilt, i know the current engine is leaking a mixture of oil and water as when i had the car on the ramp i could clearly see a watery mixture of oil! any advice is appreciated thanks in advance guys
Available from eBay
Old 19th January 2009, 19:13
Big Cheese

JG has disabled reputation

I guess there are various options open to you. Nothing wrong in trying to fix it. Probably the oilways have got gummed up with the oil/water mixture and starved the crank or camshaft (depending on what sort of knocking noise you have). As its a Pinto then you should be able to get another one relatively cheaply and plonk it in to get the car going again. You could then look at fixing the other lump in your leisure if you wanted a spare motor. You could also see it as an opportunity to upgrade the engine to something else as well I guess, Zetec, Duratec etc.

John
Old 19th January 2009, 20:47
Enthusiast

limpabit is on a distinguished road

As JG above really.

Depends on time,money and how you enjoyed the power of your engine.

Replacement engine is quicker than rebuilding it. But usually more expensive. Unless you go down the route on upgrading the internals to stronger ones while your at it.

Upgrading to different engine is longer to do and usuaully more money! But there is no better time now to upgrade if you wish.
Old 21st January 2009, 11:14

Quote:
Originally Posted by JG View Post
I guess there are various options open to you. Nothing wrong in trying to fix it. Probably the oilways have got gummed up with the oil/water mixture and starved the crank or camshaft (depending on what sort of knocking noise you have). As its a Pinto then you should be able to get another one relatively cheaply and plonk it in to get the car going again. You could then look at fixing the other lump in your leisure if you wanted a spare motor. You could also see it as an opportunity to upgrade the engine to something else as well I guess, Zetec, Duratec etc.

John
hi john thanks for taking the time to reply could you enlighten me on what kind of money i would be looking to spend on a zetec engine and which zetec or duratec engine is the best to go for upto 2k? thanks that would be great if you could let me know i guess the budget option is to get the engine rebuilt had a quote of about 450 to get it stripped and sorted but i would rather go for more power and better engine! i want an engine with better cooling as the current engine use to heat upto 120C which im sure was not right
Old 21st January 2009, 11:17

Quote:
Originally Posted by limpabit View Post
As JG above really.

Depends on time,money and how you enjoyed the power of your engine.

Replacement engine is quicker than rebuilding it. But usually more expensive. Unless you go down the route on upgrading the internals to stronger ones while your at it.

Upgrading to different engine is longer to do and usuaully more money! But there is no better time now to upgrade if you wish.
the thing is the guy who sold me the car told me everything was forged it had uprated pistons and rods etc im pretty sure the engine has straved of oil there is a guy on the forum who owns a kit car company in leeds he said the labout would be 450 and then the parts to fix it on top so i reckon all it could still be about 700 so im confused as to whether i should just buy a new engine i dont mind buying engine as long as all in it under 2k fitted running
Old 21st January 2009, 11:25
Enthusiast

I would strip first and chck internals then in that case. If you have forged internals etc. All it will cost you to strip it is time. No cost as you are just stripping it.
Old 21st January 2009, 15:10

Quote:
I would strip first and chck internals then in that case. If you have forged internals etc. All it will cost you to strip it is time. No cost as you are just stripping it.
thanks for the advice thats great il get it to my mechanic and see what he thinks im sure its not that bad, but i hope he can get it all checked out properly and stop that leak whereever its coming from (oil and water mixture round the sump) and also get the knocking sorted does anyone know why engines knock? sorry im not very good with the mechanical side of things just the driving
Old 21st January 2009, 15:23
Enthusiast

knockings could be a number of things. Top end or bottom end. Bottom end could just mean new bearings.

I had a similar problem. I ended up with all the bearings gone and cooked rods. After thinking about forged internals for and old engine, decide to upgrade to a more modern engine. But at a cost!
Old 21st January 2009, 21:00

chris is on a distinguished road

first off sorry to hear your problem, second this is not mine and can no way endorce this one and is only an example but i would see about fitting one if these, other people may or may not agree (waits for abuse) http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...MEWA:IT&ih=019
i had a granada a few years ago and it was a cracking car, loads of power and never skipped a beat, i really like these engines and when i finally get my finger out of my stinker and start my built i will be using one
i don't know how hard or what you'd need to put it in your car but i think (hope you would be quite happy with it and since your on about using another engine anyway you sound like you have your work cut out
what ever you decide good luck

Cheers, Chris
Old 22nd January 2009, 06:03
Enthusiast

You have to make sure your getting all what you require and what "with ancilleries" mean. EG does it come the engine loom and ECU for a start.
Old 22nd January 2009, 13:47

Quote:
knockings could be a number of things. Top end or bottom end. Bottom end could just mean new bearings.

I had a similar problem. I ended up with all the bearings gone and cooked rods. After thinking about forged internals for and old engine, decide to upgrade to a more modern engine. But at a cost!
it only knocks at high revs so think its probably top end? think i may go for a focus two litre engine with gearbox and all ancilaries for less then 1k all in!
Old 22nd January 2009, 13:51

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris View Post
first off sorry to hear your problem, second this is not mine and can no way endorce this one and is only an example but i would see about fitting one if these, other people may or may not agree (waits for abuse) http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...MEWA:IT&ih=019
i had a granada a few years ago and it was a cracking car, loads of power and never skipped a beat, i really like these engines and when i finally get my finger out of my stinker and start my built i will be using one
i don't know how hard or what you'd need to put it in your car but i think (hope you would be quite happy with it and since your on about using another engine anyway you sound like you have your work cut out
what ever you decide good luck

Cheers, Chris
hi chris thanks thats a real affordable option! looks like it could be quite straight forward but im guessing im gonna need a gearbox and all the ancilaries including the ecu? or could i just strip the engine take the best of both and rebuild the new engine? CHEERS AGAIN CHRIS THINK I MAY GO FOR THAT
Old 22nd January 2009, 13:53

Quote:
You have to make sure your getting all what you require and what "with ancilleries" mean. EG does it come the engine loom and ECU for a start.
ok il make sure to ask for ecu and wiring loom, but does anyone know anything more about how the pinto gearbox would attatch to another engine or when i buy an engine should i look to buy a matching gerabox at the time?
Old 23rd January 2009, 11:27
Enthusiast

Vindi_Andy is on a distinguished road

limpabit,

This is exactly the enigine going into my vindicator Sprint family which will hopefully be finished later this year
Old 23rd January 2009, 11:51
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vindi_Andy View Post
limpabit,

This is exactly the enigine going into my vindicator Sprint family which will hopefully be finished later this year
Both good tried and tested engines these Ford engines.